Author Topic: The truth is... we don't need Rondo  (Read 19389 times)

Re: The truth is... we don't need Rondo
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2013, 04:18:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So John Stockton was "replaceable" because he was second fiddle to Karl Malone?
Would you rather have John Stockton, or Karl Malone?

All I'm saying is that if someone like Karl Malone became available tomorrow, Rondo would be on his way out of town the day after.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2013, 04:32:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Funny how you blow off "filling up the stat sheet" when his triple double numbers in the playoffs are historic.  You know, when all teams are playing their best players around 40 minutes a night (another slight you throw in there).
Let me repeat myself for clarity:

I am also continually flabergasted by the degree to which this purported excellence is overblown.

I don't think anything is overblown when people are saying we should trade him right now because we won a game without him.

And I'll repeat myself: over the last few years, in the Playoffs, there has been no player that has played better than Rondo has except LeBron last year.

But you clearly think he isn't great because he doesn't always score more than 30 pts, that's cool, totally your opinion.

I'll pin giving it up to Pierce on him because he loves to pass and it's what he does better than anyone else.  I don't get your logic, that's the thing.  He is a PG and he plays like one.
Sure Rondo has triple doubles, he also has 7 point games where he goes 3 of 15 from the field. I mean that is Rondo, great for a game or two, and then bad for a game or two.  He has more good to great games in the post season but the crappy games don't just disappear either. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2013, 04:40:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Funny how you blow off "filling up the stat sheet" when his triple double numbers in the playoffs are historic.  You know, when all teams are playing their best players around 40 minutes a night (another slight you throw in there).

I am also continually flabergasted by the degree to which this purported excellence is overblown.

I don't think anything is overblown when people are saying we should trade him right now because we won a game without him.

And I'll repeat myself: over the last few years, in the Playoffs, there has been no player that has played better than Rondo has except LeBron last year.

But you clearly think he isn't great because he doesn't always score more than 30 pts, that's cool, totally your opinion.

I'll pin giving it up to Pierce on him because he loves to pass and it's what he does better than anyone else.  I don't get your logic, that's the thing.  He is a PG and he plays like one.
Sure Rondo has triple doubles, he also has 7 point games where he goes 3 of 15 from the field. I mean that is Rondo, great for a game or two, and then bad for a game or two.  He has more good to great games in the post season but the crappy games don't just disappear either.

He also had 6 boards, 13 assists and 4 steals in that 7 point game. Every player in the league has bad shooting nights, not everybody can contribute as much as Rondo does when they have those nights. In general, in the playoffs, if Rondo's fairly healthy he plays well.

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2013, 04:46:33 PM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I didn't realize Celticsblog.com had so many NBA GMs who post on here. Trade Rondo? He did play against the Pacers and Hawks correct me if I'm wrong but if Rondo doesn't play against the hawks we don't win.

« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

He also had 6 boards, 13 assists and 4 steals in that 7 point game. Every player in the league has bad shooting nights, not everybody can contribute as much as Rondo does when they have those nights. In general, in the playoffs, if Rondo's fairly healthy he plays well.

TP.

Quite tiring seeing scoring being the only stat to so many people.  Are we not now witnessing Bradley and Sullinger making a huge impact on our team?  Are either scoring many points?  Not at all.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

And another TP for you sir.

« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2013, 04:59:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
But I thought the Truth was Paul Pierce..

« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I haven't read all of this forum but it is obvious to me that guys rely on Rondo too much sometimes and take more responsibility when he is not there.  We need them to continue to take more responsibility. Yes-- we are a good team without Rondo--BUT we are only a championship caliber team with Rajon Rondo on our team.  Some of the games he has had, plays he has made are games and plays that only he is capable of!  He is not perfect, he is not consistent and he can be frustrating but he is one of a kind historic.

This is from a Cousy era fan.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Offense run through Pierce/Garnett with a serviceable PG is better than an offense being run 100% Rondo. That's how it was in 2008, Rondo's inability vs. Lakers is part of the reason why offense sputtered in 4th.

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Yes-- we are a good team without Rondo--BUT we are only a championship caliber team with Rajon Rondo on our team.
Maybe, if you consider simply taking Rondo out of the lineup. Not so much if Rondo is traded for equal value.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Offense run through Pierce/Garnett with a serviceable PG is better than an offense being run 100% Rondo. That's how it was in 2008, Rondo's inability vs. Lakers is part of the reason why offense sputtered in 4th.

You mean 09-10 Finals Game 7?

If I read you correctly, then Rondo's inability to hit a J was only one small part of our failure in that game.

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2013, 05:30:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Yes-- we are a good team without Rondo--BUT we are only a championship caliber team with Rajon Rondo on our team.
Maybe, if you consider simply taking Rondo out of the lineup. Not so much if Rondo is traded for equal value.

What's equal value? Someone that will play like Rondo does in the playoffs? Because that's pretty hard to find.

« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2013, 05:34:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

If PP and KG could play on offense like they did in 2008 then we wouldn't need Rondo on offense. That's no longer the case, and hasn't been for a while.

« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Hell yes we do!

I was a RR umm... okay, I liked him but I didn't a couple seasons ago... but I love the guy now!

RR is one of the best in the playoffs, no question! He is also one of the best in the regular season, again, no question!! He doesn't need to play every game great (no one can)... he just needs to be solid in the regular season and his GREAT self in the playoffs!

I don't care what anyone says, we need RR!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

What's equal value? Someone that will play like Rondo does in the playoffs? Because that's pretty hard to find.
Everyone's clinging to the "Rondo in the playoffs" tune like there's no tomorrow. I guess only Rondo is equal value for Rondo, because he's the only one who plays like Rondo in the playoffs.

To repeat myself, Rondo has not yet distinguished himself as a transcendent, irreplaceable player. Sure, getting rid of him is huge in many respects. But it doesn't mean it won't make the team better if the right deal is available. Joakim Noah is the first name that comes to mind that I'd swap him for right away. I'm sure there are others.