Author Topic: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?  (Read 28078 times)

Re: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm sure its super "traumatic" to get hammered and put yourself in stupid and easily avoidable situations.
He was clearly talking about the gun being pointed at him.  After all it is in the that sentence.

You missed the gist of what I was getting at there.

Also, given Lochte's eloquence with the English language here & given his past hiccups, I don't think anything that comes from Lochte is "clear".
Don't get me wrong Lochte pulled the classic case of drunken ****baggery.  He was clearly talking about the gun being pulled on him as the trauma though.
really hard to feel bad for this guy and his 'trauma'.

if he didn't want a security guard pulling a gun on him, perhaps he shouldn't have vandalized the place then refused to pay for the damages.   

this is latin america travel 101.  when you are in the wrong, you pay the mordita and move on.
I don't feel bad for him, but at the same time some minor gas station damage shouldn't get guns drawn on you, especially by people that aren't the police. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 06:13:54 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm sure its super "traumatic" to get hammered and put yourself in stupid and easily avoidable situations.
He was clearly talking about the gun being pointed at him.  After all it is in the that sentence.

You missed the gist of what I was getting at there.

Also, given Lochte's eloquence with the English language here & given his past hiccups, I don't think anything that comes from Lochte is "clear".
Don't get me wrong Lochte pulled the classic case of drunken ****baggery.  He was clearly talking about the gun being pulled on him as the trauma though.
really hard to feel bad for this guy and his 'trauma'.

if he didn't want a security guard pulling a gun on him, perhaps he shouldn't have vandalized the place then refused to pay for the damages.   

this is latin america travel 101.  when you are in the wrong, you pay the mordita and move on.
I don't feel bad for him, but at the same time some minor gas station damage shouldn't get guns drawn on you, especially by people that aren't the police.

In the US, sure.  Different cultures have different norms though.  You can't travel abroad and get outraged when the locals aren't abiding to American ideals.  For example, I regularly drive down to Mexico to surf, and they have these military checkpoints all the along the main highways where teenagers search your car while holding assault rifles.  Standard operation, but unnerving every time you drive by one of those bunkers with a machine gun pointed at your rig... 

Reality is, in Latin America, those armed guards are there to PROTECT the tourists.  Unless of course, said tourists are being complete idiots p---ing all over the place, and trying to dig out without paying for the damage caused. 

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 02:22:11 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Don't go to a foreign country, destroy property, pee all over walls, and you won't get guns drawn on you. That seems like an entirely fair concept to me.

Lochte and his boys may not understand even a single bit of Portuguese, but the language of gun is universal.

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 09:09:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/investigation-ryan-lochte-rio-olympics-authorities/89082232/

Story seems to confirm what I thought, the Rio Police made a big stink about this to cover-up some shady actions that happened.

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
TP for the link.   Seems pretty straight forward to me, here's the crux of that new witnesses story,

Deluz thinks the men understood they were detained because of the damaged sign, as the broken advertisement was shown to them. An athlete even asked him how much he needed to pay, Deluz says. The disc jockey said he conferred with an employee and responded, "One hundred money." When one swimmer finally opened his wallet, it had plenty of cash in it beyond that amount. Had the armed men been robbers, Deluz reasoned, they would have taken all the money.

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 10:07:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
TP for the link.   Seems pretty straight forward to me, here's the crux of that new witnesses story,

Deluz thinks the men understood they were detained because of the damaged sign, as the broken advertisement was shown to them. An athlete even asked him how much he needed to pay, Deluz says. The disc jockey said he conferred with an employee and responded, "One hundred money." When one swimmer finally opened his wallet, it had plenty of cash in it beyond that amount. Had the armed men been robbers, Deluz reasoned, they would have taken all the money.
sure and prior to that, they had guns drawn on them and they were forcibly stopped from leaving, which that witness also says.  In fact, it was when the guns were drawn that he stepped in because he could tell there was clear communication problems and he could see the situation escalating rapidly. 

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
sure and prior to that, they had guns drawn on them and they were forcibly stopped from leaving, which that witness also says.  In fact, it was when the guns were drawn that he stepped in because he could tell there was clear communication problems and he could see the situation escalating rapidly.

I think if those guns were not drawn, they would have left and paid nothing laughing.   

Either side of this argument I am sure we all agree Lochte's  behavior and  his drunken antics  caused the incident and not the  behavior one expects from an Olympian.   

Defenders will say he is young, but he is 32 and hardly the age of youthful indiscretion.

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 10:36:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think if those guns were not drawn, they would have left and paid nothing laughing.   

Either side of this argument I am sure we all agree Lochte's  behavior and  his drunken antics  caused the incident and not the  behavior one expects from an Olympian.   

Defenders will say he is young, but he is 32 and hardly the age of youthful indiscretion.
Did you read the article.  The guns were drawn after they had already exited the cab after one of the security guards flashed a badge (which they aren't supposed to do when they are working private security). 

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 12:22:31 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Asked whether he alone vandalized the gas station bathroom, Lochte responded that he was in no frame of mind at the time to know for sure.

"I have no idea. I mean, I was very intoxicated. "
http://www.today.com/news/matt-lauer-s-exclusive-interview-ryan-lochte-air-monday-today-t102063

He clearly knows and doesn't know what he needs to know and not know.

Also, from the translater Fernando Deluz:
Deluz said he began to translate when he realized the swimmers did not understand the guards.

"That is when they started saying, 'No police. Please, don't call police!'" said Deluz.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-us-swimmers-rio-gas-station-20160820-story.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:04:22 PM by alley oop »

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 12:59:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/investigation-ryan-lochte-rio-olympics-authorities/89082232/

Story seems to confirm what I thought, the Rio Police made a big stink about this to cover-up some shady actions that happened.

That's not at all what all sources indicate. Everyone pretty much agrees, even the US, that the US swimmers, particularly Lochte, when on a drunken rampage and vandalized the place, and lied to cover it up. The police and security at the gas station acted very reasonably considering the situation. If it had happened here in the US with Brazilian athletes, they would have been treated far more harshly.

I get that these things happen with young guys, but as other people said, Lochte is in his 30's, its absurd for him to be doing things like this, and then lying about it because he didn't want his mom to find out.

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 01:05:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That's not at all what all sources indicate. Everyone pretty much agrees, even the US, that the US swimmers, particularly Lochte, when on a drunken rampage and vandalized the place, and lied to cover it up. The police and security at the gas station acted very reasonably considering the situation. If it had happened here in the US with Brazilian athletes, they would have been treated far more harshly.

I get that these things happen with young guys, but as other people said, Lochte is in his 30's, its absurd for him to be doing things like this.
"a drunken rampage".  Lochte apparently pulled down a loosely hung advertisement and broke it.  A couple of the swimmers went pee behind the building.  There is no evidence of any kind that the swimmers even entered the restroom let alone damaged anything in it.  The translator/witness actually confirms that the only damage referenced by the armed guards was to the sign. 

Clearly Lochte was drunk and clearly he broke a sign, but the Rio police absolutely embellished what happened and those same police basically extorted 11,000 from Feigen for a crime that he didn't commit (Feigen never filed a police report so he couldn't have filed a false one). 

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 01:09:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I get that these things happen with young guys, but as other people said, Lochte is in his 30's, its absurd for him to be doing things like this.
"a drunken rampage".  Lochte apparently pulled down a loosely hung advertisement and broke it.  A couple of the swimmers went pee behind the building.  There is no evidence of any kind that the swimmers even entered the restroom let alone damaged anything in it.  The translator/witness actually confirms that the only damage referenced by the armed guards was to the sign. 

Clearly Lochte was drunk and clearly he broke a sign, but the Rio police absolutely embellished what happened and those same police basically extorted 11,000 from Feigen for a crime that he didn't commit (Feigen never filed a police report so he couldn't have filed a false one).

Did the brazilian security guards take all their money? No. They asked for fair compensation for the damage they did to the place, knowing full well those guys were never coming back if they left without paying. Did the american swimmers say "no police"? Yes they did. If they though they were being robbed they would have demanded to have the police there, and you know, filed a report.

Different country different laws. You can't call it extortion. When in another country you have to respect their laws just as visitors to our country have to respect our laws. Their police were actually much more laid back about the whole thing than our law enforcement would have been.

If they were really 'robbed' why didn't they actually, you know, file a police report? They were wasted, busted up the place, p---ed everywhere, and paid and lied to cover it up. The brazilian security and gas station staff were ok with that until Lochte lied to his mom and she went to the media. That's life, now they have to own up to it.

Of course Lochte wants to create doubt as much as he can to save his millions in endorsements. I don't see his lesser known teammates who have no endorsements to lose and who he left behind to take the blame insisting it was a robbery.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:16:34 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2016, 01:51:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Speedo & Ralph Lauren have both dropped Ryan Lochte. 

Way to cost yourself a boatload of money, Ryan.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Did the brazilian security guards take all their money? No. They asked for fair compensation for the damage they did to the place, knowing full well those guys were never coming back if they left without paying. Did the american swimmers say "no police"? Yes they did. If they though they were being robbed they would have demanded to have the police there, and you know, filed a report.

Different country different laws. You can't call it extortion. When in another country you have to respect their laws just as visitors to our country have to respect our laws. Their police were actually much more laid back about the whole thing than our law enforcement would have been.

If they were really 'robbed' why didn't they actually, you know, file a police report? They were wasted, busted up the place, p---ed everywhere, and paid and lied to cover it up. The brazilian security and gas station staff were ok with that until Lochte lied to his mom and she went to the media. That's life, now they have to own up to it.

Of course Lochte wants to create doubt as much as he can to save his millions in endorsements. I don't see his lesser known teammates who have no endorsements to lose and who he left behind to take the blame insisting it was a robbery.
Bentz said his recollection was that money was demanded from the Americans by armed men in order for the swimmers to be allowed to leave.

That does not match the account of Bentz, who said the swimmers were held at gunpoint until they paid. “I gave them what I had in my wallet, which was a $20 bill, and Jimmy gave them 100 reais, which is about $50 in total. They lowered the guns, and I used hand gestures to ask if it was OK to leave, and they said yes,” he said in his statement.

"Two men, whom I believe to have been security guards, then instructed us to exit the vehicle. No guns were drawn during this exchange, but we did see a gun tucked into one of the guard's waistband,” Bentz said. “As Jimmy (Feigen) and Jack (Conger) were walking away from the vehicle, the first security guard held up a badge to me and drew his handgun. I yelled to them to come back toward us, and they complied. Then the second guard drew his weapon and both guards pointed their guns at us and yelled at us to sit on a nearby sidewalk.”

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Bentz said his recollection was that money was demanded from the Americans by armed men in order for the swimmers to be allowed to leave.

That does not match the account of Bentz, who said the swimmers were held at gunpoint until they paid. “I gave them what I had in my wallet, which was a $20 bill, and Jimmy gave them 100 reais, which is about $50 in total. They lowered the guns, and I used hand gestures to ask if it was OK to leave, and they said yes,” he said in his statement.

"Two men, whom I believe to have been security guards, then instructed us to exit the vehicle. No guns were drawn during this exchange, but we did see a gun tucked into one of the guard's waistband,” Bentz said. “As Jimmy (Feigen) and Jack (Conger) were walking away from the vehicle, the first security guard held up a badge to me and drew his handgun. I yelled to them to come back toward us, and they complied. Then the second guard drew his weapon and both guards pointed their guns at us and yelled at us to sit on a nearby sidewalk.”

Considering they had already urinated on one wall, tore a picture off another & were about to leave in a drunken haze -- what do you honestly expect that security guard to do?  Numbers weren't exactly in his favor; you've got 1 renta-cop vs. 4 world class athletes, led by the 6'2 version of Ememen (aka Swim Shady)