Poll

Would you take Terry Rozier back in a sign and trade with Hayward?

Yes
5 (17.9%)
No
23 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Take Tito Back?  (Read 2654 times)

Take Tito Back?
« on: November 27, 2020, 11:28:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I brought this up recently in another thread, and was surprised to see some of the anger toward him.

I know Terry left on pretty bad terms. I re-watched his exit interview with ESPN. It was selfish.  Painful to watch.

But.....

1. He is a very good scoring guard. Much more efficient than Marcus.  He also defends well, and is an elite rebounder for a guard.

2.  Kemba's serious knee problem is unlikely to get better.   We are in for a lot of load management. Sorry, Jeff Teague is not the answer. Thinking long term, Rozier could replace Kemba as our starting PG.  That 2018 playoff team was pretty awesome, and those guys were so young.

3. Rozier makes about $18mm a year for another two seasons. This is actually pretty in line with his value. And we would still be able to get a TPE of about $10 mm.

4.  Rozier had a decent year last year:  18 ppg, above 40% from 3, 87% FT.  Pretty solid.

5. Rumors swirled of a 3 team trade involving him going to the Knicks.  Sounds like the Hornets are at least considering moving him. And why not; Graham and LaMello Ball, not to mention Gordon Hayward, is a lot of ball handlers to feed.

Would you take him back?

Re: Take Tito Back?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:35:19 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
We need a HELL NO NOT IN A 1000000000000000 YEARS option.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 11:36:59 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Whats important is I doubt the C's would want to. They just brought in a veteran back up in Teague and drafted a pointential backup in pritchard, guard is not really a priority right now.

Secondly he makes a little over 18 million, an the c's are 17.2 below the tax. Which means you'd have to start doing some end of rotation trimming to get back below the tax and then play the season with limited flexibility below it. not ideal if you wnat to chase a wing mid season.

Thirdly I think they' rather just have the full value of a 30 million is TPE, keep more options open. I think most teams would rather just have the option of trading their guy to the C's and taking back limited salary rather than an bad contract in Rozier, so the TPE may simply be more valuable trade wise.

Lastly the c's finally have their hierarchy figured out, no reason to upset that by bringing back a guy that wasn't happy with his role last time he was here.

Fine player, but not for the c's.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 12:03:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We need a HELL NO NOT IN A 1000000000000000 YEARS option.

cmon...compared to Kyme,  Rozier is harmless

Solid stats last season.  He has bulked up a bit

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I like Terry. Good guy, plays hard. I'd always welcome him back.

Never had a problem with interview or his behaviour while he was here (I had issues with his performance, that is different).

That said, there isn't a role here for him. He is too good to be a bench player. He won't be happy and nor should be happy being put back in a bench role.

My only interest in trading for Rozier would be as a trade asset. Pick up a useful player on an okay-ish contract that could then send elsewhere. Maybe add some picks or youth. Try to get back a better player that can help the team. Maybe a 4th star to go alongside Kemba, Tatum and Jaylen.

I would be interested in trading for Rozier for Rozier the player but for Rozier the trade asset (and in a trade that needs to happen in the near future).

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 12:16:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Whats important is I doubt the C's would want to. They just brought in a veteran back up in Teague and drafted a pointential backup in pritchard, guard is not really a priority right now.

Secondly he makes a little over 18 million, an the c's are 17.2 below the tax. Which means you'd have to start doing some end of rotation trimming to get back below the tax and then play the season with limited flexibility below it. not ideal if you wnat to chase a wing mid season.

Thirdly I think they' rather just have the full value of a 30 million is TPE, keep more options open. I think most teams would rather just have the option of trading their guy to the C's and taking back limited salary rather than an bad contract in Rozier, so the TPE may simply be more valuable trade wise.

Lastly the c's finally have their hierarchy figured out, no reason to upset that by bringing back a guy that wasn't happy with his role last time he was here.

Flip Teague and you take care of both problems (playing time and salary cap). Rozier is much better than Teague right now, no?

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Never had a problem with interview or his behaviour while he was here (I had issues with his performance, that is different).

That said, there isn't a role here for him. He is too good to be a bench player. He won't be happy and nor should be happy being put back in a bench role.

My only interest in trading for Rozier would be as a trade asset. Pick up a useful player on an okay-ish contract that could then send elsewhere. Maybe add some picks or youth. Try to get back a better player that can help the team. Maybe a 4th star to go alongside Kemba, Tatum and Jaylen.

I would be interested in trading for Rozier for Rozier the player but for Rozier the trade asset (and in a trade that needs to happen in the near future).

I foresee Kemba sitting out a lot of games, in which Terry would start.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 12:18:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I foresee Kemba sitting out a lot of games, in which Terry would start.

That is not enough. Rozier is not a part timer. He wants and needs to be a full time starter. Rightly so.

Rozier will not be happy going back and forth from a 30mpg guy to a smaller bench role.

He is not that guy. Not at this stage in his career.

He just had a career season and now ... his career is going backwards? I know that would drive me nuts if I were in his shoes. Given his track record, I expect he'd feel the same way.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 12:37:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Flip Teague and you take care of both problems (playing time and salary cap). Rozier is much better than Teague right now, no?
maybe this year. but roziers contract runs into the future and would upset future salaries.

he is a nice player, but not really needed on the celtics now. save the TPE for some better.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
If Kemba is going to have to become our sixth man due to lingering knee issues, Rozier would be a great get for us. But if not, Rozier recently tweeted  that he will only be a starter so bringing him here if Kemba is the starter makes no sense as he will complain and spread discontent in locker room.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 01:39:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
If Kemba is going to have to become our sixth man due to lingering knee issues, Rozier would be a great get for us. But if not, Rozier recently tweeted  that he will only be a starter so bringing him here if Kemba is the starter makes no sense as he will complain and spread discontent in locker room.

Fair enough. Sadly, I think that is where Kemba is headed, by next year.

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 02:42:35 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I would be all for bringing Rozier back but unfortunately it's not a question of Rozier against another player, it's a question of Rozier against re-setting the repeater tax.

We will be a much more financially healthy team in 21-22 and beyond if we re-set the repeater clock than we would if we brought Rozier back. If you believe that Tatum can lead this team to the top of the East for the better part of the next decade it is crucial that DA get's the team under the tax line this year.

All that being said I think all of the players that were in Rozier's way are now gone and he'd be a great addition. I get the impression that he's one of Danny's favorite draft picks of all time the way he's spoken of him in the past. If he can't be here I hope he ends up with the Clippers.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 03:23:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think a lot of stuff went down in that Celtics locker room in 2019 that turned the current player leadership and the decision makers here in Boston sour against some members of that team. Given Rozier's famous interview that dumped on things when he was on the way out, I am guessing Rozier is one of those guys the current players and management soured on. Rozier will not be back.

Funny thing, when I saw the title of this thread, my first thought went to bringing back Terry Franconia to the Red Sox, and I was all down for that.

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No! Not in a million years! Unless he’s on the vet min I don’t wanna hear about it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)