Poll

If Kemba is sidelined for most/all season (poll)

Celts are doomed.  Short playoffs
14 (37.8%)
Celts would actually be in a better position. Better defense
3 (8.1%)
Not sure. Question mark: if Teague and Pritchard can handle more min
20 (54.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: If Kemba is sidelined for most/all season (poll)  (Read 8318 times)

Re: If Kemba is sidelined for most/all season (poll)
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2020, 03:05:49 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Given Kenna’s issue, we should consider absorbing Rosier’s contract in the Hayward sign and trade. He’s much better than Teague.

I'd rather gauge my own eyes out with my bare hands than see Rozier back on this team.

Agree. The guy is a cancer.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2020, 03:10:10 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
First of all, I don't think this will be the case. Kemba is not injured, he has arthritis and needs to be put on a training regimen to strengthen the knee and limit discomfort. If he becomes injured - like actually injures himself separate from the knee issue - then we'll need to figure it out.

I do think there are a number of decent replacement level PGs should all of our back-ups completely suck. hwangjini mentioned Rose, who would be a nice option. The Clips are dangling LouWil. Even the Knicks have a whole team full of PGs. I do fully believe this is Tatum's and Brown's team now so having an All-NBA level PG isn't quite as important - just like having an All-Star level 4th option in Hayward wasn't essential last season. But we will need to replace a good chunk of that production and luckily we have avenues to do so. We only go as far as Tatum and Brown take us.

Probably right - and Tatum and Brown ain't Bird and Max (they carried us to the '81 title as star forwards supported by very solid guards and centers).
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2020, 04:54:54 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Given Kenna’s issue, we should consider absorbing Rosier’s contract in the Hayward sign and trade. He’s much better than Teague.

I'd rather gauge my own eyes out with my bare hands than see Rozier back on this team.

same here

Why?

1.) He's not nearly as good a player as he thinks he is. True of most NBA Players, including Lebron.
2.) The whole concept of him being better as a starter than a bench player is hogwash - he cared more when he started and couldn't be bothered to hide it. That lack of commitment to consistent effort should be a dealbreaker for more Celtics fans. He could start or come off the bench. Never thought there was a lack of commitment when he played for Boston. He was inconsistent, but not for lack of effort. This is the first I've read this.
3.) The press tour he went on after his final season here reeked of a player who placed himself before the team. We need guys who can understand their role and embrace it, not pout. He was an UFA.  Is was clear that his time was up in Boston.  He was frustrated with how the season went. Like all of us fans were.
4.) I just can't take people seriously when they refer to themselves in the third person. C'mon.
5.) His insistence on affiliating himself with a violent gang is pathetic. He came from a hard background (his dad was in prison a good part of his life).  Not uncommon for guys from the hood having some affiliation.  Wasn't Paul Pierce criticized for giving gang signs?

1.) Lmbo. Lebron is one of the greatest players of all time. Confidence is a big part of the game, sure. But so is knowing one's limitations.

2.) It was a lack of effort and focus. If you need to believe otherwise, fine. We can agree to disagree.

3.) If Kyrie went on the same press tour and made the same comments, he'd be eviscerated.

4.) I said what I said.

5.) Oh now stop. I came from a hard upbringing, really horrific stuff that I barely survived and am still dealing with. Its an absolute insult when people use a tough upbringing as an excuse of glorifying gang life. I absolutely will not and cannot pretend to normalize that.
[/b]

Big differences between glorifying, judging, and understanding when it comes to looking at choices in and following tough childhoods.  So many variables for the response to difficult upbringing: timing of events, frequency, intensity, personality factors, intelligence factors, capacity for insight, genetics, cognitive development at the time(s) of experiences, how a person experiences loss, luck, others who may have been in (or emerged into) their lives at the right/wrong moment - a time when person is vulnerable or a time when a person is open or closed to new ideas. 

Similar events (loss of family members; abuse; divorce; neglect) can be experienced a traumatic by some and not traumatic (or not as traumatic) by others.

I don’t know why some players seem to respect groups/individuals  who terrorize others and promote violence and criminality, etc. To understand that I think we’d need to know the totality of how these people influenced the individual lives of specific players.  That  gangs are given some respect by some players should probably be understood in the context of the varying complexity of their childhood experiences.

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2020, 10:36:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
IF Kemba is deemed unfit to play and is out for the rest of the season ...

Questions
1. When is the latest this exception could be granted?? For example after a maximum of 25 percent of games played?

2. I see that the Warriors were granted 9.3 M exception due to KT season ending injury.  Does this count on top of the hard cap?  Or replaces part of Walker max salary? 

3.  How can the DPE be utilized?  similar to TPE or you can combine with a player to bring back a bigger salary?

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2020, 12:05:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Questions
1. When is the latest this exception could be granted?? For example after a maximum of 25 percent of games played?

2. I see that the Warriors were granted 9.3 M exception due to KT season ending injury.  Does this count on top of the hard cap?  Or replaces part of Walker max salary? 

3.  How can the DPE be utilized?  similar to TPE or you can combine with a player to bring back a bigger salary?
Out for the rest of the season?? Where did you pull that from?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2020, 02:01:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Questions

Out for the rest of the season?? Where did you pull that from?

Hypothetically

If any cap experts can chime in...

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2020, 02:32:23 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

same here

Why?

1.) He's not nearly as good a player as he thinks he is. True of most NBA Players, including Lebron.
2.) The whole concept of him being better as a starter than a bench player is hogwash - he cared more when he started and couldn't be bothered to hide it. That lack of commitment to consistent effort should be a dealbreaker for more Celtics fans. He could start or come off the bench. Never thought there was a lack of commitment when he played for Boston. He was inconsistent, but not for lack of effort. This is the first I've read this.
3.) The press tour he went on after his final season here reeked of a player who placed himself before the team. We need guys who can understand their role and embrace it, not pout. He was an UFA.  Is was clear that his time was up in Boston.  He was frustrated with how the season went. Like all of us fans were.
4.) I just can't take people seriously when they refer to themselves in the third person. C'mon.
5.) His insistence on affiliating himself with a violent gang is pathetic. He came from a hard background (his dad was in prison a good part of his life).  Not uncommon for guys from the hood having some affiliation.  Wasn't Paul Pierce criticized for giving gang signs?

1.) Lmbo. Lebron is one of the greatest players of all time. Confidence is a big part of the game, sure. But so is knowing one's limitations.

2.) It was a lack of effort and focus. If you need to believe otherwise, fine. We can agree to disagree.

3.) If Kyrie went on the same press tour and made the same comments, he'd be eviscerated.

4.) I said what I said.

5.) Oh now stop. I came from a hard upbringing, really horrific stuff that I barely survived and am still dealing with. Its an absolute insult when people use a tough upbringing as an excuse of glorifying gang life. I absolutely will not and cannot pretend to normalize that.

1) Lebron was an egomaniac long before he became the player he is today.  Jaylen Brown was a cocky SOB even as a rookie - remember when he talked Lebron down in an interview during the playoffs? People her seemed to love that.  How about Embiid - he's never stopped talking himself up since he entered the league, and people seem to think it's one of his most lovable characteristics. 

I honestly never recall seeing Terry Rozier talk himself up.  When I saw him speak throughout his first 3 seasons he always seemed very humble - always spoke respectfully of his teammates, admitted to his faults, always expressed a willingness to play any role the coach asked him to play - and he backed that up.  It always seemed to me like he had a chip on his shoulder and knew he had to prove himself and earn his time. 

I think the issue is that by the end of his third season with the team he kinda DID prove himself.  He improved a lot on both ends of the court, he flashed his potential with a number of big games, he showed he could consistently elevate his game in the clutch with some game winning plays, and he played good minutes and put up solid numbers throughout the season.  Then to seal the deal he stepped up huge when the Celitcs needed him most, filling in admirably for Kyrie in the playoffs and playing an instrumental role in leading the Celtics to the ECF where they took Lebron's Cavs to 7 games.  By this point he had clearly proven he loyal and ready for a chance at a bigger role, and yet the following year instead the Celtics actually REDUCED his role and minutes.  After all the effort he put in to prove himself, I can absolutely understand how this could have left him feeling deflated and demotivated, especially in a contract year while also being surrounded by all the locker room issues the team faced that year.  Was it bad form for him to speak out about it as he did?  Sure, but he's young, he was obviously very frustrated, he made some mistakes.  It happens.

2) I don't get how anybody could accuse Rozier of lack of effort.  All through college he was known as an increadibly hard worker with a great motor.
 The reason Danny drafted him was BECAUSE he went out of his way to outwork every other player they trialled.  Respected veterans on the team (like Horford) consistently gushed about how hard he worked and how dominant he was in practice.  His played a "high effort" style every time he was on the court, picking guys up from full court defensively, diving for loose balls, getting in passing lanes, rebounding at an elite level for a PG - all signs of a high effort player.  Trying to say he lacked effort just does not add up to anything I saw while he was here

3) Kyrie has already made more then his fair share of similarly bade comments in the media, and yes he has been eviscerated for them.  Bu then Rozier also got eviscerated for his comments by most people on here and in the media - so I don't see anything out of order there.   

4) We all have things that annoy us or put us off, and your personal dislike of how Rozier chooses to speak is is yours to have.  But that doesn't really say anything about his ability to contribute to the Celtics' success. 

5) I've never been able to understand how some people can become suicidal because of bullying or low self-esteem.  To my logic suicide is selfish - you are taking the easy way out and passing your own pain and suffering over to your loved ones.  I feel it's equivalent it's like pushing your friend in front of you when a car is coming at you so they take the impact and you can walk away.  But I'm not that person.  I don't have their mind.  I haven't been in their exact scenario.  I haven't felt their pain.  If I had to, maybe my view on that wouldn't be so clear. 

Maybe Rozier's public display of affection for gang life is a bad thing, but these are young guys, only 3 or 4 years out of college.  I haven't seen any articles of Rozier committing crimes, being involved in gang violence, getting busted for drug use, fighting with teammates in the locker room.  He hasn't shown any indication to me that he is a bad guy or a lost cause.  Maybe the solution is not to declare him a lost cause and turn against him.  Maybe the solution is to have a solid veteran presence in the locker room - someone who can be a father / big brother figure for guys like him and help teach them how to become men.

In the two cases where he has started he has put up legit starting calibre numbers:
* 16.5 pts, 5.7 ast, 5.3 reb on 40% / 35% / 82% shooting in the 2017/18 playoffs
* 18.0 pts, 4.1 ast, 4.4 reb on 42% / 40% / 87% shooting in the 2019-20 regular season

He's a good young player who plays with a grit and toughness that I find difficult to not have respect for.  He plays hard every night, he hows a real desire to win, and he is not afraid to take the big shot or make the big play when the game is on the line - a rare quality.  He's also only 26 years old and has really only had 4 seasons of worthwhile NBA experience, so he still has plenty of room to grow.

I'm not suggesting he is without flaws by any means, but he is a guy who brings great energy on both ends of the court, and is capable of turning the tide in a close game on any given night.