Poll

If Kemba is sidelined for most/all season (poll)

Celts are doomed.  Short playoffs
14 (37.8%)
Celts would actually be in a better position. Better defense
3 (8.1%)
Not sure. Question mark: if Teague and Pritchard can handle more min
20 (54.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: If Kemba is sidelined for most/all season (poll)  (Read 8322 times)

Re: If Kemba is sidelined for most/all season (poll)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 05:42:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Given Kenna’s issue, we should consider absorbing Rosier’s contract in the Hayward sign and trade. He’s much better than Teague.

I'd rather gauge my own eyes out with my bare hands than see Rozier back on this team.

same here

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 05:50:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Given Kenna’s issue, we should consider absorbing Rosier’s contract in the Hayward sign and trade. He’s much better than Teague.

I'd rather gauge my own eyes out with my bare hands than see Rozier back on this team.

same here

Why?

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 06:16:31 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
There is no long playoff run if Kamba is hurt.

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 06:31:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
First of all, I don't think this will be the case. Kemba is not injured, he has arthritis and needs to be put on a training regimen to strengthen the knee and limit discomfort. If he becomes injured - like actually injures himself separate from the knee issue - then we'll need to figure it out.

I do think there are a number of decent replacement level PGs should all of our back-ups completely suck. hwangjini mentioned Rose, who would be a nice option. The Clips are dangling LouWil. Even the Knicks have a whole team full of PGs. I do fully believe this is Tatum's and Brown's team now so having an All-NBA level PG isn't quite as important - just like having an All-Star level 4th option in Hayward wasn't essential last season. But we will need to replace a good chunk of that production and luckily we have avenues to do so. We still only go as far as Tatum and Brown take us, though.

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 06:41:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
some folks here have very strong feelings about Terry Rozier.. I never really paid him much attention as a Celtic player. What did he do?

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 06:43:42 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
i suppose the hypothetical answer to your hypothetical premise is it hypothetically depends.

hypothetically, if 2 or more of the youngsters (langford, Gwill, Rwill, Nesmith, or Pritchard) make substantial leaps in their game and out perform expectations, then i think the celtics are in good shape for a deep playoff run.

also, you hypothetically propose Walker is out for "most/all season" but then ask about a hypothetical playoff run. which is it?

You lost me at "hypothetical"   ;D

Bottom line is a long playoff run.   

Say Kemba is out for the season.  What are the Celtics chances (with the current roster makeup) for a long playoff run?

You actually followed him till the end or did he get you on the first 'hypothetical'? lol

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 06:45:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
some folks here have very strong feelings about Terry Rozier.. I never really paid him much attention as a Celtic player. What did he do?

I don't understand either

Kyrie ruffled the feathers of 2018-2019 Celtics squad .... players weren't themselves/acted strangely/performed poorly

Last season Rozier had solid stats. Best of his career actually.  All stat totals up

He is a good offensive player and really solid defensive player.   One of the better rebounders from the pg position
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:59:28 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 06:52:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

same here

Why?

1.) He's not nearly as good a player as he thinks he is.
2.) The whole concept of him being better as a starter than a bench player is hogwash - he cared more when he started and couldn't be bothered to hide it. That lack of commitment to consistent effort should be a dealbreaker for more Celtics fans.
3.) The press tour he went on after his final season here reeked of a player who placed himself before the team. We need guys who can understand their role and embrace it, not pout.
4.) I just can't take people seriously when they refer to themselves in the third person.
5.) His insistence on affiliating himself with a violent gang is pathetic.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 07:06:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

same here

Why?

1.) He's not nearly as good a player as he thinks he is. True of most NBA Players, including Lebron.
2.) The whole concept of him being better as a starter than a bench player is hogwash - he cared more when he started and couldn't be bothered to hide it. That lack of commitment to consistent effort should be a dealbreaker for more Celtics fans. He could start or come off the bench. Never thought there was a lack of commitment when he played for Boston. He was inconsistent, but not for lack of effort. This is the first I've read this.
3.) The press tour he went on after his final season here reeked of a player who placed himself before the team. We need guys who can understand their role and embrace it, not pout. He was an UFA.  Is was clear that his time was up in Boston.  He was frustrated with how the season went. Like all of us fans were.
4.) I just can't take people seriously when they refer to themselves in the third person. C'mon.
5.) His insistence on affiliating himself with a violent gang is pathetic. He came from a hard background (his dad was in prison a good part of his life).  Not uncommon for guys from the hood having some affiliation.  Wasn't Paul Pierce criticized for giving gang signs?

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 07:20:14 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

I don't understand either

Kyrie ruffled the feathers of 2018-2019 Celtics squad .... players weren't themselves/acted strangely/performed poorly

Last season Rozier had solid stats. Best of his career actually.  All stat totals up

He is a good offensive player and really solid defensive player.   One of the better rebounders from the pg position
I’m a closet rozier fan since I knew his school advisor at Louisville.. he has sometimes tendencies to do dumb things but I don’t think he hurts your team and occasionally he wins you a game or two (even in the playoffs)
I don’t understand the hate either for rozier. the contract he was trying to get mattered a lot to him since his career earnings were low until his last year in Boston...
most people in his shoes would feel like his big contract was unfairly slipping away last year after the previous ECF run in which Terry was scary

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 09:28:31 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
If hypothetically he was sidelined for the whole season, I think we'll still be solid. Obviously a fit Kemba is a huge difference offensively, but someone else will step up. They always do. Plus we would probably get a disabled player exception from the NBA that we can use to alleviate his loss.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 09:40:50 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I wonder if PP will follow a similar path of Tatum where he got more PT when GH had a season-ending injury on his first year with us.

Smart starts early in the season then subbed by JTeague until he gets to know the team plays.
When JTeague finally gets acclimated then maybe he could start and alternate with Smart
and PP (?).

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 09:50:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

same here

Why?

1.) He's not nearly as good a player as he thinks he is. True of most NBA Players, including Lebron.
2.) The whole concept of him being better as a starter than a bench player is hogwash - he cared more when he started and couldn't be bothered to hide it. That lack of commitment to consistent effort should be a dealbreaker for more Celtics fans. He could start or come off the bench. Never thought there was a lack of commitment when he played for Boston. He was inconsistent, but not for lack of effort. This is the first I've read this.
3.) The press tour he went on after his final season here reeked of a player who placed himself before the team. We need guys who can understand their role and embrace it, not pout. He was an UFA.  Is was clear that his time was up in Boston.  He was frustrated with how the season went. Like all of us fans were.
4.) I just can't take people seriously when they refer to themselves in the third person. C'mon.
5.) His insistence on affiliating himself with a violent gang is pathetic. He came from a hard background (his dad was in prison a good part of his life).  Not uncommon for guys from the hood having some affiliation.  Wasn't Paul Pierce criticized for giving gang signs?

1.) Lmbo. Lebron is one of the greatest players of all time. Confidence is a big part of the game, sure. But so is knowing one's limitations.

2.) It was a lack of effort and focus. If you need to believe otherwise, fine. We can agree to disagree.

3.) If Kyrie went on the same press tour and made the same comments, he'd be eviscerated.

4.) I said what I said.

5.) Oh now stop. I came from a hard upbringing, really horrific stuff that I barely survived and am still dealing with. Its an absolute insult when people use a tough upbringing as an excuse of glorifying gang life. I absolutely will not and cannot pretend to normalize that.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2020, 09:57:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wonder if PP will follow a similar path of Tatum where he got more PT when GH had a season-ending injury on his first year with us.

Smart starts early in the season then subbed by JTeague until he gets to know the team plays.
When JTeague finally gets acclimated then maybe he could start and alternate with Smart
and PP (?).

Not likely for a 26th pick... but maybe he is a lucky pick like Tony Allen

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2020, 10:44:05 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
 ****. Terry Rozier? The dude whop threw his teammates under the bus after the season? Same guy with lazy, inconsistent defense and hero ball play? Hell no.