Poll

If Kemba is sidelined for most/all season (poll)

Celts are doomed.  Short playoffs
14 (37.8%)
Celts would actually be in a better position. Better defense
3 (8.1%)
Not sure. Question mark: if Teague and Pritchard can handle more min
20 (54.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: If Kemba is sidelined for most/all season (poll)  (Read 8319 times)

If Kemba is sidelined for most/all season (poll)
« on: November 26, 2020, 02:22:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Kemba is out for most of next season. How do you like the team chances for a long playoff run? Offensive capability dips a little but team D/individual D improves.  No more picking on Kemba (or box and 1)

Starting day 1 lineup is likely going to look like

Theis/TT
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Teague

How do you feel about this unit?

If this unit does is not effective, the team would need to drop Smart down to PG and one or Langford, Nesmith, Pritchard or Grant Williams could need to win a starting job

Re: If Kemba is sidelined for most/all season (poll)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 02:35:29 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i suppose the hypothetical answer to your hypothetical premise is it hypothetically depends.

hypothetically, if 2 or more of the youngsters (langford, Gwill, Rwill, Nesmith, or Pritchard) make substantial leaps in their game and out perform expectations, then i think the celtics are in good shape for a deep playoff run.

also, you hypothetically propose Walker is out for "most/all season" but then ask about a hypothetical playoff run. which is it?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 02:47:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tatum took a leap with Kemba out so maybe others step up and become better by any missed time Kemba has.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 02:56:49 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
If Kemba is out for most of next season. How do you like the team chances for a long playoff run? Offensive capability dips a little but team D/individual D improves.  No more picking on Kemba (or box and 1)

Starting day 1 lineup is likely going to look like

Theis/TT
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Teague

How do you feel about this unit?

If this unit does is not effective, the team would need to drop Smart down to PG and one or Langford, Nesmith, Pritchard or Grant Williams could need to win a starting job

I would not run that team personally.

Smart
Brown
Tatum
GrantW
Theis/TT

or

Smart
Nesmith
Brown
Tatum
Theis/TT

I think Nesmith brings an elite skill to the lineup, and grant brings a "smart" type of glue to the lineup. I prefer having Nesmith as it keeps marcus as the 4th option and able to run pick and rolls with Thompson. Which will be VERY good.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 02:59:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
This is still a borderline 50 win team without Kemba. The team wouldn't go too far in the playoffs but they'd be a tough out. Probably a second round team.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 03:29:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
i suppose the hypothetical answer to your hypothetical premise is it hypothetically depends.

hypothetically, if 2 or more of the youngsters (langford, Gwill, Rwill, Nesmith, or Pritchard) make substantial leaps in their game and out perform expectations, then i think the celtics are in good shape for a deep playoff run.

also, you hypothetically propose Walker is out for "most/all season" but then ask about a hypothetical playoff run. which is it?

You lost me at "hypothetical"   ;D

Bottom line is a long playoff run.   

Say Kemba is out for the season.  What are the Celtics chances (with the current roster makeup) for a long playoff run? 

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 03:33:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This is still a borderline 50 win team without Kemba. The team wouldn't go too far in the playoffs but they'd be a tough out. Probably a second round team.

On the flip side, It would be a stronger defensive team.  It was strong team D team last season, but Walker was the weakest link. And coaches smelled blood/picked on him without any shame

I have a mixed feeling about Kemba performance in the playoffs last season (on both ends).  But that was before knowing he played with bad/hurt knees

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 03:35:38 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Ultimately the bottom line is a long playoff run.   

Say Kemba is out for the season.  What are the Celtics chances (with the current roster makeup) for a long playoff run?

I think that depends on how much Tatum and Brown improve.  Also, how some of the young guys develop, mostly Langford and Nesmith.

Tatum’s improvement last season was rapid throughout the season into the playoffs.  How much better can he get?  I think that’s the biggest key.  I think he could lead the team into the finals, but not past a healthy Lakers team.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 03:40:22 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
You've got to think it's a pretty good team even without Kemba.  C's were basically without Kemba (poor production) and GH (injury) for much of the playoffs and C's got to game 6 of the ECF.   The team added pieces and the Jays and the other youngs will make progress.

Edit: I was surprised to look back and find Kemba averaged more the 19ppg in the playoffs.  3 pt stats were poor.   My memory is he was a shadow of himself.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 03:48:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Ultimately the bottom line is a long playoff run.   

I think that depends on how much Tatum and Brown improve.  Also, how some of the young guys develop, mostly Langford and Nesmith.

Tatum’s improvement last season was rapid throughout the season into the playoffs.  How much better can he get?  I think that’s the biggest key.  I think he could lead the team into the finals, but not past a healthy Lakers team.

You've got to think it's a pretty good team even without Kemba.  C's were basically without Kemba (poor production) and GH (injury) for much of the playoffs and C's got to game 6 of the ECF.   The team added pieces and the Jays and the other youngs will make progress.

Edit: I was surprised to look back and find Kemba averaged more the 19ppg in the playoffs.  3 pt stats were poor.   My memory is he was a shadow of himself.

agreed

Not sure if Tatum has another level. Last season, his stats across the board was superb.  He adjusted in the playoffs and was racking up assist

I guess if there is one area he can improve on, is to not try to shoot out of in-game slumps.  Especially 4th quarter.  Rely/Resort to a "sure" mid range bucket. 

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 04:36:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Given Kenna’s issue, we should consider absorbing Rosier’s contract in the Hayward sign and trade. He’s much better than Teague.

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Given Kenna’s issue, we should consider absorbing Rosier’s contract in the Hayward sign and trade. He’s much better than Teague.

but is that possible, without voiding TT and Teague contracts? 

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 05:04:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
rozier wil cost too much for too long and adversely affect the salary structure of the celts.

However, one guy I'd keep an eye on for a mid-season trade is someoneI don't like as a person, but makes sense for the team as a player.....

Derrick Rose.

he has an expiring 7.7M deal. so he is affordable, doesnt put the celts into tax-hell, and will accept coming off the bench for Walker.

if the pistons look to dump players since their season will be dead as a door nail by the trading deadline, then the celtics get an explosive scorer. and he can still pass the ball well.

Rose doesn't make an impact on the tax this year, comes off the books next, and leaves you with a big enough TPE to still take on a lot of the guys you'd be interested in during the offseason.

perhaps even offload teague at the trading deadline if needed.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 05:17:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

but is that possible, without voiding TT and Teague contracts?

Could absorb Thompson in the balance of TPE. Could flip Teague.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 05:23:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I'd rather gauge my own eyes out with my bare hands than see Rozier back on this team.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman