Author Topic: Stevens: Kemba may not be ready at start of the season due to knee issue  (Read 12158 times)

Re: Stevens: Kemba may not be ready at start of the season due to knee issue
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2020, 08:05:56 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Ainges last 3 star point guards:

Kemba: degenerative knee
Kyrie: degenerative knee?
IT: degenerative hip

The medical team needs a serious review on how this keep reoccuring. Who keeps approving these guys and missing career ending red flags ?

Kemba becomes an untradable albatross if this condition truly becomes worse and worse

I'm assuming they knew 100% but they think it can be managed through some load management.  If this is the case, then  I'm ok with it but the story might be the same every year come playoff time ("kemba was playing hurt and that's why he wasn't as good sometimes"

Kyrie doesn't have a degenerative knee (at least, as far as anyone can tell). His knee issues were a broken kneecap in the 2015 finals, and then issues with the screws/wires that were put in to help it heal (they caused tendonitis) when he played for us. After the screws/wires were removed and he healed from that procedure, the knee has been fine. He had surgery again last season, but that was for his shoulder; if anything, he's just injury prone, but it isn't one specific injury that keeps recurring.

The IT one isn't really an issue for the team not finding, either: you aren't gonna find/notice an FAI unless there's symptoms (like the torn labrum he suffered). It's way too specific to expect teams to look into the shape of every player's femoral head just in case it isn't round enough and could cause later injury (especially since, at that point, you would end up looking into hundreds of other possible issues that may never come up, and you're gonna struggle to find anyone "fully healthy"). 

Letting IT continue to play on the injured hip, though, was a huge failing. It seems like the Kemba injury may be one as well.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2020, 08:12:30 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
This is why I was pushing for a PG at 14.  Thrilled drafted Nesmith, but PG is going to become a major issue if Walker misses extended time.  We might get an extended look at Edwards, Teague, and Pritchard very early unless a magical S+T with Charlotte drops us another PG.

I could see Smith Jr ending up a celtics by time season starts. Just saying. Hayward>Charlotte, Rozier>NYK, TPE and Smith Jr to Boston.

Also there is always the option of the TPE on another PG. Although I think I am starting to believe that PP will be fine there after getting his feet wet.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
This is why I was pushing for a PG at 14.  Thrilled drafted Nesmith, but PG is going to become a major issue if Walker misses extended time.  We might get an extended look at Edwards, Teague, and Pritchard very early unless a magical S+T with Charlotte drops us another PG.

I could see Smith Jr ending up a celtics by time season starts. Just saying. Hayward>Charlotte, Rozier>NYK, TPE and Smith Jr to Boston.

Also there is always the option of the TPE on another PG. Although I think I am starting to believe that PP will be fine there after getting his feet wet.

Is Rozier and upgrade over Smith?  I'm not sure why NYK get involved here.  I would love it, just don't see why they jump in.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2020, 08:42:24 AM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
why did danny sign this guy if he was going to have this issue?

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2020, 08:54:57 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Like you, I just hope it turns out well for Kemba.  Still a heck of a player -- my guess is he'll end up having a very solid season.

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2020, 09:06:15 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Is Rozier and upgrade over Smith?  I'm not sure why NYK get involved here.  I would love it, just don't see why they jump in.
Yes he is. I’m not a Rozier fan but he’s a ton better than Smith Jr
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2020, 09:16:03 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

I still have faith in Smith. He needs a good coach.

When he was drafted I was pretty high on him as he reminded me of one of my alltime faves: Baron Davis
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2020, 09:43:30 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I just don't understand why Kemba has these forever knee issues and we signed him to that long term contract a year ago.  WTH do we pay doctors for?  Can't they see this?

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Super thrilled Danny bought damaged goods.  Awesome!  ::)

It's been nothing but two steps forward and three steps backward for the last few seasons now...ugh!

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2020, 10:14:33 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Super thrilled Danny bought damaged goods.  Awesome!  ::)

It's been nothing but two steps forward and three steps backward for the last few seasons now...ugh!

Too much drama and issues going on since 2017. I'd be happy if we could trade Kemba on a reasonable deal.
Get a clear direction with Tatum, Brown, Smart + youngsters to steadily develop from just a good playoff team to a real contender for a couple of years.

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

Have we ever considered that perhaps the problem is Ainge behind-the-scenes forcing hurt players to play injured? It happened with IT and perhaps it’s now happened with Kemba? Perhaps trying to force players to play injured, and then treating them like disposable kleenex afterward, is why we’ve lost three all-stars the past two off-seasons?

If we trade Walker in 2020-2021, we will never sign another major free agent in the 2020s. We are married to Kemba, so we better start to give him the Kawhi load-management treatment.

Doing a S&T of Hayward for Rozier is the smart play here. We know we can compete with Tatum, Brown, Smart and Rozier (and TT will be a nice addition). Unless Tatum and Brown both sky rocket to being perennial 1st/2nd All-NBAers, we’re not winning a championship anytime soon, anyway. That ship sailed with Kyrie/AD not working out.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:23:55 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2020, 10:24:22 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Have we ever considered that perhaps the problem is Ainge behind-the-scenes forcing hurt players to play injured? It happened with IT and perhaps it’s now happened with Kemba? Perhaps trying to force players to play injured, and then treating them like disposable kleenex afterward, is why we’ve lost three all-stars the past two off-seasons?

This is a horrible take. Danny has always been known for putting guys in good situations when trading them. I assume the only example you can reference in your post is IT, but that is not at all what happened. IT talked about backing up the Brinks truck and knew his best opportunity was to have a successful playoff run. It's certainly not Danny who made him play (and it's not like the Cs were real contenders that year anyway, so who cares?). Heck, Danny even traded IT to the only team in the EC that was clearly better than us. If IT balled out for the Cavs, he would have signed a huge contract; it's not Danny's fault that IT had a debilitating injury.

And the reason we lost three 'All-Stars' the last two seasons is because two of them got massively overpaid and the other one wanted to play with his best friend in his hometown. Funny, though, we never would have lost Kyrie if we were allowed to sign him to a real max extension in 2018. He is the one who asked if we would have him back.

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2020, 10:30:33 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

If we trade Walker in 2020-2021, we will never sign another major free agent in the 2020s. We are married to Kemba, so we better start to give him the Kawhi load-management treatment.

Doing a S&T of Hayward for Rozier is the smart play here. We know we can compete with Tatum, Brown, Smart and Rozier (and TT will be a nice addition). Unless Tatum and Brown both sky rocket to being perennial 1st/2nd All-NBAers, we’re not winning a championship anytime soon, anyway. That ship sailed with Kyrie/AD not working out.

If we keep Kemba and take on Rozier in a S+T, then we need to trade Theis or Langford, because otherwise the signing of Thompson for the full MLE becomes illegal (around $3M over the tax line, dependent on Teague's exact contract).

« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2020, 10:33:05 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

If we keep Kemba and take on Rozier in a S+T, then we need to trade Theis or Langford, because otherwise the signing of Thompson for the full MLE becomes illegal (around $3M over the tax line, dependent on Teague's exact contract).

Obviously we need Theis, so give up Langford for a box of cereal. Maybe Charlotte will take him on for a heavily protected first in 2025 or an unprotected second. That kid is just the new James Young.

Rozier works in CBS’ system. Even if Kemba becomes an albatross, we can still compete with Rozier at point. If Kemba gets better, Rozier is a great backup PG for load management.

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2020, 10:47:10 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I still have faith in Smith. He needs a good coach.

When he was drafted I was pretty high on him as he reminded me of one of my alltime faves: Baron Davis
Carlisle is a great coach and Fizdale is pretty good.  I don't see how Smith is going to be good for any coach when over the last couple of years he's been in the 20's from 3 and the 50's from the line.  That's pretty pathetic.