Author Topic: Possible S&T with Charlotte- Don't Bother  (Read 14787 times)

Re: Possible S&T with Charlotte- Don't Bother
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I don't think you send Kemba out, especially for someone like Love because then there is a giant gaping hole in the backcourt.

But this would be why I'd want someone like Zeller from Charlotte.  He would get you more than halfway to acquiring Love. 

Maybe make it a 3-Team trade

Charlotte - Hayward, Edwards, 2021 BOS 2nd
Boston - Love
Cleveland - Zeller, Theis, Green

I think Boston would be below the apron and could do that, but if needed a bit extra salary could be included.

I'd feel much better about Boston's chances of actually competing in the East with this roster

Guards - Walker, Smart, Teague, Langford, Pritchard
Wings - Brown, Tatum, Ojeleye, Nesmith
Bigs - Love, Thompson, Williams, Williams
2 open roster spots with Fall and Waters as 2way (maybe you give Madar a contract or maybe you just bring some vets in at some point)

I like it. I think I would talk to Thompson about the idea of playing with Love again. I'd also do my diligence about his health and passion for the game. I'd need to watch some tape to see if I think he has the defensive chops to be able to stay on the court in the playoffs.

But if those things checked out, I'm in. I'd love to see Love in CBS scheme. He's like a better version of the love child of Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk, even at this point in his career.

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2020, 11:19:02 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Funny reminder from John Hollinger on not getting too excited about TPE:

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1331974514872344578?s=20

I thought GSW just used part of the Durant TPE on Oubre for $14.4M of incoming salary. I realize that isn't the whole TPE, but it is a decent chunk and it allowed them to get an impact player. EDIT: just realized they used the Iguodala TPE, not Durant. Point remains the same, though. They used a huge part of the $17M TPE to acquire an impact player.

I can see the the Poirier and Kanter TPEs not being used, but I can't imagine Danny would allow a $28M TPE to go to waste. Next offseason there will be teams trying to cut salary to sign FAs and other teams trying to get under the tax. We may not get a premier player (which would require additional assets from our side), but I could definitely see a scenario where a team tosses us a 1st to take on an iffy expiring contract, or we get a semi-quality overpaid player w/o even having to give up anything. Staying under the tax this season gives us a lot of flexibility with this kind of thing moving forward.

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2020, 03:10:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If by don't bother, you mean don't take back something like Zeller, I agree but let's get the TPE.  Worst case we don't use it but I think we will use at least part of it to add a nice veteran wing along the way when inevitably, one becomes available.

As to Kevin Love, no thanks.  I was not that excited about him even 5 years ago.  Plus, unless we send out some serious money, there is no way we can absorb his full $31M contract.  Getting Love would mean trading Kemba Walker.  I am not opposed to trading Kemba but not for Kevin Love.
Unless you do it in the Hayward sign and trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2020, 03:30:44 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don't think you send Kemba out, especially for someone like Love because then there is a giant gaping hole in the backcourt.

But this would be why I'd want someone like Zeller from Charlotte.  He would get you more than halfway to acquiring Love. 

Maybe make it a 3-Team trade

Charlotte - Hayward, Edwards, 2021 BOS 2nd
Boston - Love
Cleveland - Zeller, Theis, Green

I think Boston would be below the apron and could do that, but if needed a bit extra salary could be included.

I'd feel much better about Boston's chances of actually competing in the East with this roster

Guards - Walker, Smart, Teague, Langford, Pritchard
Wings - Brown, Tatum, Ojeleye, Nesmith
Bigs - Love, Thompson, Williams, Williams
2 open roster spots with Fall and Waters as 2way (maybe you give Madar a contract or maybe you just bring some vets in at some point)

I like it. I think I would talk to Thompson about the idea of playing with Love again. I'd also do my diligence about his health and passion for the game. I'd need to watch some tape to see if I think he has the defensive chops to be able to stay on the court in the playoffs.

But if those things checked out, I'm in. I'd love to see Love in CBS scheme. He's like a better version of the love child of Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk, even at this point in his career.

I think I rather take a gamble on Blake Griffin for Kemba instead of Love. Blake can be the PF small ball center. Is equally effective, is a year shorter in contract.

Kemba for blake straight up.

Smart/Teague/PP
Brown/Romeo/Edwards
Tatum/Nesmith
Griffin/GrantW/Semi
Thompson/Theis/Timelord.

Big strong lineup there.
24.5ppg, 7.5rpg, 5.5apg with a 36% 3pt shot on 7 attempts per game just a season ago.

He wouldnt get those numbers, but he wouldnt need to as the 3rd option.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
How much longer can they try to hash this out

Hornets GM: You want Batum?
Teams around the league:  This is the third time you have asked.   *hang up*   

Hornets GM:  If you want TPE, we need more assets
Ainge:  Thats ok.  We don't really need it.   

End of the day, Teams are not going to want to take on Batum full salary.  Not unless its an overpay imo

Mark Bartelstein must be so sick of Ainge by now  ;D

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2020, 12:19:29 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Blake Griffin is a broken down shell of himself.  No thanks.

If we can get a TPE to deal for Bradley Beal then I'm interested.

But I can't see too many other players we'd be willing to go over the luxury tax for.

Can we even fit such a player under the luxury cap? IE ~28m?

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2020, 06:42:04 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

But I can't see too many other players we'd be willing to go over the luxury tax for.

Blake might be, but so might kemba.

Apparently he is looking great right now. He will miss games, that is a given, but with load management, ala kemba, he could be great in the playoffs.

And its a nearly 40 million dollar savings(1 year less in duration)
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2020, 07:50:35 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Is Thompson officially signed?  If he is using the non tax payer mid level exception then I think we are pretty much hard capped and have to stay under the tax.  I don’t know the exact figure but the room to stay under the tax would be much less than the trade exception we would get in a Hayward S&T deal.  So in other words I think we would have to forget about getting Love or Griffin back in a deal as they make to much.

Unless if Thompson isn’t officially signed, and is somehow included in the Hayward S&T with say Love coming back to us.  We throw in some protected picks/low salaries to make this work.  We then go over the tax, but we still have the tax payer mid level exception to use to sign someone else.

There hasn’t been a Thompson press conference yet, so maybe there is some very complex deal being worked out like this.  Who knows.

« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Why are people clamoring for Kevin Love and Blake Griffin??? What are we doing here people?!?!

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2020, 08:30:35 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
We desperatly need to bring someone in order to say: Now, that's a contending team. This is it. And we all no it won't be.

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2020, 08:45:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Blake is one year removed from being an ALL NBA player averaging 25, 11, and 5 and bringing the Pistons to the post season. The Pistons made him play through an injury, then rushed him back too soon which caused him to need further surgery.

That said, Blake and Love are zero possibility players for next years Celtics so people need to get away from that thought.

We are hardcapped by Thompson and the Hayward sign and trade. The S and T means we can’t go over $138 mil... But I think the TT signing caps us at the $132 lux tax line, can someone clarify the correct hardcap number?

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2020, 08:52:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Blake is one year removed from being an ALL NBA player averaging 25, 11, and 5 and bringing the Pistons to the post season. The Pistons made him play through an injury, then rushed him back too soon which caused him to need further surgery.

That said, Blake and Love are zero possibility players for next years Celtics so people need to get away from that thought.

We are hardcapped by Thompson and the Hayward sign and trade. The S and T means we can’t go over $138 mil... But I think the TT signing caps us at the $132 lux tax line, can someone clarify the correct hardcap number?
We have about 16 million cover after the moves, but year we'd have to move out about 15 million to acquire Love, which we could do if we wanted to, but would be difficult.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2020, 09:14:39 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

The full MLE, the BAE, and bringing in a player via S&T will all hard cap you at the same amount (the tax apron). Because we're binging in TT via the full MLE, we're hardcapped. We are not hardcapped from a sign and trade, though, since we haven't acquired any players that way (and sending out Hayward in a S&T would not hardcap us)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2020, 04:19:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Why are people clamoring for Kevin Love and Blake Griffin??? What are we doing here people?!?!
Stuck in 2015
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2020, 04:57:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The full MLE, the BAE, and bringing in a player via S&T will all hard cap you at the same amount (the tax apron). Because we're binging in TT via the full MLE, we're hardcapped. We are not hardcapped from a sign and trade, though, since we haven't acquired any players that way (and sending out Hayward in a S&T would not hardcap us)
I think the team will self impose a hard cap at the luxury tax line of $132 million as, since Hayward leaving allows the team to reset the repeater tax, management is going to take advantage of that and save tens to hundreds of millions of dollars.

And that means, if they get the big TPE, they're going to only use ~$15 million of that TPE during this season. I think that's right. Someone correct me if I am wrong.