Author Topic: Possible S&T with Charlotte- Don't Bother  (Read 14881 times)

Re: Possible S&T with Charlotte- Don't Bother
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 09:59:05 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
You can say what you want but this is 2 off seasons in a row the Celtics didn’t get better.

Count me as someone who thinks that having 4 guys who expect to score 20 ppg is a bad idea. I think the metric to watch is how many additional ppg do Tatum and Brown post this year between them. I'm guessing it is north of 6 ppg.

I think it would have been better if it was Kemba instead of Hayward to go, but one of them had to go. If Tatum and Brown add more than 6 ppg and Kemba scores over 18 ppg, we will be a considerably better team next year.

For the _team_ it was definitely better to have 4 elite scorers on the floor.   Our teams' Net Rating with Kemba+Jaylen+Jayson+Gordon on the floor was fantastic and it dropped off the planet when Gordon was replaced by Smart.

Having three big wings who all could score from multiple levels was a match up nightmare for opposing team's.

Even a hobbled Hayward in the playoffs in that lineup was an advantage.  In the MIA series, that foursome, playing with any of Theis or Grant or RW, only played a tiny 16 minutes, but in those 16 minutes they outscored MIA 50-39.  Unfortunately, we just didn't have that lineup available enough.   In particular, not at all in those first two games that we spotted to MIA.

Sigh ...
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2020, 10:10:47 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
You can say what you want but this is 2 off seasons in a row the Celtics didn’t get better.

Count me as someone who thinks that having 4 guys who expect to score 20 ppg is a bad idea. I think the metric to watch is how many additional ppg do Tatum and Brown post this year between them. I'm guessing it is north of 6 ppg.

I think it would have been better if it was Kemba instead of Hayward to go, but one of them had to go. If Tatum and Brown add more than 6 ppg and Kemba scores over 18 ppg, we will be a considerably better team next year.

I agree they Kemba should have been the one to go and I also agree that we had too many 20ppg scorers. I just wish we could have swapped a 20ppg scorer with a double double guy rather that be assist or rebounds which are clearly 2 areas the Celtics could use someone for instead of just...losing them.

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2020, 10:32:24 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

For the _team_ it was definitely better to have 4 elite scorers on the floor.   Our teams' Net Rating with Kemba+Jaylen+Jayson+Gordon on the floor was fantastic and it dropped off the planet when Gordon was replaced by Smart.

Having three big wings who all could score from multiple levels was a match up nightmare for opposing team's.

Even a hobbled Hayward in the playoffs in that lineup was an advantage.  In the MIA series, that foursome, playing with any of Theis or Grant or RW, only played a tiny 16 minutes, but in those 16 minutes they outscored MIA 50-39.  Unfortunately, we just didn't have that lineup available enough.   In particular, not at all in those first two games that we spotted to MIA.

Sigh ...

We are adding in Nesmith into that. A shooter with unlimited range, a quick trigger and no fear.

That will present more of a threat than 4 wings who can score 20, as nesmith is not that 4th wing that can score 20 on you.

Collapse on Kemba and Brown and you have Tatum and Nesmith on the wings.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2020, 10:54:03 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford

Sigh ...

We are adding in Nesmith into that. A shooter with unlimited range, a quick trigger and no fear.

That will present more of a threat than 4 wings who can score 20, as nesmith is not that 4th wing that can score 20 on you.

The fact its coming down to hanging our hat on a 14th pick rookie.... Carson Edwards is also fearless...

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 11:09:44 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Sigh ...

The fact its coming down to hanging our hat on a 14th pick rookie.... Carson Edwards is also fearless...

But edwards is a 5 foot 10 player.

Nesmith is 6'6 with a 6'10 inch wingspan. Big difference there. And not relying on Nesmith doing anything more than shooting 3s and making them solid team defense and he improves the team dramatically.

Team needed a reliable shooter, who was not afraid to shoot.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 11:13:35 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford

Sigh ...

Nesmith is 6'6 with a 6'10 inch wingspan. Big difference there. And not relying on Nesmith doing anything more than shooting 3s and making them solid team defense and he improves the team dramatically.

🙄 right, yeah that’s what they needed the most. Someone who could score more points...

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Sigh ...

🙄 right, yeah that’s what they needed the most. Someone who could score more points...

Yeah actually. Needed someone who can knock down shots from deep.
That was a weakness last season and really was exposed in the playoffs.

Team was 12th in 3 pointers made last season at 36% and 9th in the playoffs shooting them at only 34%. Not being able to space the floor makes it alot easier to crowd on Brown/Kemba and Tatum.

Boston had the 2nd best defense in the Playoffs last season. 4th in the regular season.
Defensive rebounding boston was 9th in the playoffs and 13th in the regular season.

That sums up as 2 things.

Team needed a 3pt shooter.
Team needed a defensive rebounder who can defend well enough to earn minutes.

Nesmith is the shooter
Thompson is the rebounder.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 12:13:54 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Sigh ...

Team was 12th in 3 pointers made last season at 36% and 9th in the playoffs shooting them at only 34%. Not being able to space the floor makes it alot easier to crowd on Brown/Kemba and Tatum.

Boston had the 2nd best defense in the Playoffs last season. 4th in the regular season.
Defensive rebounding boston was 9th in the playoffs and 13th in the regular season.

Nesmith is the shooter

It was pretty obvious that the team needed shooting from the bench.

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Sigh ...

Nesmith is the shooter

It was pretty obvious that the team needed shooting from the bench.

I agree. I thought the number one need going into the draft was shooters for the bench. I also wanted Bane but was very happy with Pritchard. I didn’t think that Nesmith was going to land in our draft range and the more I watch of him the better I like him. Nesmith’s stroke is a thing of beauty. Our bench was missing or just not taking a bunch of open shots and it really allowed teams to double up on Tatum and Kemba.

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

How so?

Hayward did not play for the team at all hardly, so losing his contract is a plus.

Thompson is better than Kanter
Teague is better than Wannamaker

Nesmith and Pritchard are better than Nothing.

Not sure why everyone’s confused;

Lost Kyrie and Horford for Kemba and Kanter...
Lost Hayward for TT and Jeff Teague

The playoff run was vastly overrated, we didn’t look all that good. I’m sure if we matched up against the Bucks again we would have been out earlier.

Hayward although injured the majority of his time brought reliable offense that no one else could bring. The biggest point is we couldn’t get pass the Heat and we are in no better position it get pass them now with the moves we have made.

The worse of it is the heat may be the least of our worries with Philly and the Nets getting back full strength.
The 76ers are relying on two injury-prone losers and have the Celtics' names branded on them. The Celtics are unequivocally in their heads and always will be.

The Nets are relying on Kyrie, who is a headcase and is ALWAYS hurt, and Kevin Durant, who is coming off of the most debilitating injury a basketball player can have.

You should probably slow your roll on worrying about Philly and Brooklyn lol.

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2020, 01:30:43 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

How so?

Hayward did not play for the team at all hardly, so losing his contract is a plus.

The playoff run was vastly overrated, we didn’t look all that good. I’m sure if we matched up against the Bucks again we would have been out earlier.

Hayward although injured the majority of his time brought reliable offense that no one else could bring. The biggest point is we couldn’t get pass the Heat and we are in no better position it get pass them now with the moves we have made.

The worse of it is the heat may be the least of our worries with Philly and the Nets getting back full strength.
The 76ers are relying on two injury-prone losers and have the Celtics' names branded on them. The Celtics are unequivocally in their heads and always will be.

The Nets are relying on Kyrie, who is a headcase and is ALWAYS hurt, and Kevin Durant, who is coming off of the most debilitating injury a basketball player can have.

You should probably slow your roll on worrying about Philly and Brooklyn lol.

I must be in a minority but the C's didn't have Hayward until the Miami series and he was a shell of himself because he was hurt.  He didn't help much at all.  Couldn't play D, just stunk.  The C's added the best Big they've had since Horford who is a much better rebounder and better defender then Horford.  He brings a toughness to let JB, JT and Kemba shoot it.  They added a reliable PG off the bench who can run a team.  Drafted the best shooter to come out of college in years.  Sniper off the bench.  I will say the C's need one more player to step up off the bench.  Romeo, player TBNL, someone.  I think the C's are better this year then they were the prior two years.  I may be in the minority but I absolutely feel this way.  Especially since you have to expect JB and JT to get even better.  They have not reached their ceilings yet which is scary.  Not many teams have two players with that Talent and the Cs still have Kemba, Smart and a very good PF in Thompson. This is a very very good team.  Just need 1 of the 5 youngins to step up.  If Nesmith can have an impact like Herro then the C's are going to be scary.

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2020, 01:37:46 PM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151

I must be in a minority but the C's didn't have Hayward until the Miami series and he was a shell of himself because he was hurt.  He didn't help much at all.  Couldn't play D, just stunk.  The C's added the best Big they've had since Horford who is a much better rebounder and better defender then Horford.  He brings a toughness to let JB, JT and Kemba shoot it.  They added a reliable PG off the bench who can run a team.  Drafted the best shooter to come out of college in years.  Sniper off the bench.  I will say the C's need one more player to step up off the bench.  Romeo, player TBNL, someone.  I think the C's are better this year then they were the prior two years.  I may be in the minority but I absolutely feel this way.  Especially since you have to expect JB and JT to get even better.  They have not reached their ceilings yet which is scary.  Not many teams have two players with that Talent and the Cs still have Kemba, Smart and a very good PF in Thompson. This is a very very good team.  Just need 1 of the 5 youngins to step up.  If Nesmith can have an impact like Herro then the C's are going to be scary.
[/quote]

I agree with this completely...       TP...

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2020, 03:45:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

How so?

People might be confused because you said we got worse last offseason, when we improved both on-court and off-court
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2020, 08:48:38 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Force Charlotte to have to cut players, be creative even if detrimental to the team to get Hayward onboard.

What are the Celtics going to get? Some scrub player, a second round pick? A first round pick with 50 stipulations to it?

Let the Hornets do their thing. The Celtics didn't lose Hayward for nothing.  The C's signed two free agents. We don't have to worry about getting "something" back.

Let this be all Charlotte's problems.

Trade exception is the best possible asset.

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Force Charlotte to have to cut players, be creative even if detrimental to the team to get Hayward onboard.

What are the Celtics going to get? Some scrub player, a second round pick? A first round pick with 50 stipulations to it?

Let the Hornets do their thing. The Celtics didn't lose Hayward for nothing.  The C's signed two free agents. We don't have to worry about getting "something" back.

Let this be all Charlotte's problems.

Trade exception is the best possible asset.
Do we know when the trade exception would expire?
In normal times it lasts for 365 days. But since the 2021 offseason is slated to come earlier than 365 days from this offseason will that shorten the time the exception is available?
Maybe Danny wants as much time as possible during next ECF season to have the exception and that is slowing things down