Author Topic: Possible S&T with Charlotte- Don't Bother  (Read 14835 times)

Re: Possible S&T with Charlotte- Don't Bother
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 06:22:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The idea is to get the trade exception, which we could use to absorb a good players salary to get him on board.

Bogdanovic would have been my target before he signed with Atlanta. Now it would be Harrison Barnes or Rudy Gay

Or for a trade like say Beal who could be fed up with Wall and WASH. Walls contract is going to be hard to move until maybe the deadline or next season to prove he's good to go. Beal might ask to be moved to Bos with Tatum in his ear. I know Pipe Dream, but Hayward got 30mil a year, anything is possible. LOL
Would it be big enough for Hayward? I feel like Hayward's contract could start $28m, which would be just too small

I'm not sure, I thought the C;s would get 28 TE from what people say, Beal makes 27,  I don't know if there are other factors to it. I'm just thinking the hold up could be DA making sure he gets the max amount back to spend on some one, or He'd just go after some one like Barnes, or maybe Jabarie Parker.
I was under the impression that to trade for Beal we'd be dealing with his 2020-21 salary, which is $28.7m and thus a hair over what I would predict our TPE to be.

Son of A...... Way to ruin my dream man. LOL

Beal can tell WASH to keep some to make it work right?
Ha, sorry!

I'm not too sure actually. I don't know enough about NBA contracts. I would like Beal here in place of Kemba long-term, but I don't know how that would even happen

A lot depends on where CHA starts Hayward’s deal.

If it’s a typical structure— starting as low as possible, with maximum raises— it would be worth $27.9 million in the first year.  That would be the amount of the TPE.  We could acquire somebody making TPE + $100k, or almost exactly $28 million.

On the other hand, if Hayward makes $30 million in his first season, we could acquire somebody making $30.1 million.

Roy H keeping the dream alive. YEEESSSSSS!!!!!!

A 3-way trade works, too, so long as we do the trades back-to-back.  We find a third team with a large expiring contract, and acquire it with the TPE.  Once that trade clears, the expiring could be flipped for Beal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 07:13:33 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
delete
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:28:31 PM by Sketch5 »

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
waste of money.

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 07:29:39 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The idea is to get the trade exception, which we could use to absorb a good players salary to get him on board.

Bogdanovic would have been my target before he signed with Atlanta. Now it would be Harrison Barnes or Rudy Gay

Or for a trade like say Beal who could be fed up with Wall and WASH. Walls contract is going to be hard to move until maybe the deadline or next season to prove he's good to go. Beal might ask to be moved to Bos with Tatum in his ear. I know Pipe Dream, but Hayward got 30mil a year, anything is possible. LOL
Would it be big enough for Hayward? I feel like Hayward's contract could start $28m, which would be just too small

I'm not sure, I thought the C;s would get 28 TE from what people say, Beal makes 27,  I don't know if there are other factors to it. I'm just thinking the hold up could be DA making sure he gets the max amount back to spend on some one, or He'd just go after some one like Barnes, or maybe Jabarie Parker.
I was under the impression that to trade for Beal we'd be dealing with his 2020-21 salary, which is $28.7m and thus a hair over what I would predict our TPE to be.

Ha, sorry!

I'm not too sure actually. I don't know enough about NBA contracts. I would like Beal here in place of Kemba long-term, but I don't know how that would even happen

If it’s a typical structure— starting as low as possible, with maximum raises— it would be worth $27.9 million in the first year.  That would be the amount of the TPE.  We could acquire somebody making TPE + $100k, or almost exactly $28 million.

On the other hand, if Hayward makes $30 million in his first season, we could acquire somebody making $30.1 million.

A 3-way trade works, too, so long as we do the trades back-to-back.  We find a third team with a large expiring contract, and acquire it with the TPE.  Once that trade clears, the expiring could be flipped for Beal.

Hmmm, Drummond might work, makes some sense why he was connected to Celtics trades, more than they wanted him as a big.

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 08:07:52 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Ha, sorry!

Gordon 28 mill per season starting
Rozier to NYK
TPE to Cleveland
Drummond and Romeo and future picks to Washington
Beal to Boston.

Makes sense. Seems simple enough. lol
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 08:29:19 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
IMO a reasonable option for all parties.

Batum to OKC with cash from Charlotte and cash from Boston for Horford
OKC doesnt want Horford, they wanted the picks. This sheds 2 years off of Horfords deal for them and they stay young and cash from 2 teams will cover some of the cost of Nic

Rozier to Knicks for Frank and Knox
Knicks get a near 20ppg scorer they have been targeting since free agency last season

Charlotte ends up with Hayward (starting 29 mill), Horford and Frank. Now field a complete team
Ball/Bacon
Monk/Frank
Hayward/Bridges
Washington/McDaniels
Horford/Zeller

Boston gets a 29 million dollar TPE to shop for Barnes and Knox, who is in a bad situation but has potential.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 09:04:15 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm not sure the Celtics could have traded Jaylen Brown for Bradley Beal. So I have no idea why anyone would suggest Washington would even think about accepting a trade exception just for Beal.

BTW, with the way Danny has been operating lately, I don't even know why we bother coming up with trade ideas, when it seems like a rarely occurrence for Danny now.

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 09:05:06 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Regarding Beal unless if I’m mistaken I don’t think we can go over the tax limit since we used the Non Payer Tax mid level Exception on Thompson. If we used the tax payer mid level exception with the lower amount I think we can go over.

So I think we might be limited to using up to roughly 15 mil with a trade exception, maybe?

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
You can say what you want but this is 2 off seasons in a row the Celtics didn’t get better.

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2020, 09:19:33 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
You can say what you want but this is 2 off seasons in a row the Celtics didn’t get better.

The Celtics objectively got better. They went from a 2nd round exit in 5 games to an ECF loss in 6 games.

The jury is still out on this offseason, but it's very possible the Thompson/Kanter and Teague/Wannamaker swaps offset any loss the Celtics experience with Hayward's exit.

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 09:20:03 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Huh? They were clearly better last year than they were two years ago.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2020, 09:23:43 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

How so?

Hayward did not play for the team at all hardly, so losing his contract is a plus.

Thompson is better than Kanter
Teague is better than Wannamaker

Nesmith and Pritchard are better than Nothing.

'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Ha, sorry!

The problem is, even if we create a TPE that large, we can only use up to about ~22M of it without going back over the tax threshold.   Danny will almost certainly not want to do that because not only does it mean paying taxes this season, it also triggers repeater tax penalties coming in 2022, two years earlier than if we do not go over.  So every dollar above that we pay costs additional dollars in penalties.   Further, it would impact roster moves because it would take away the full MLE that we want to use to sign Thompson with and we'd also lose the BAE.   All kinds of bad.

So, basically assuming we do create such a large TPE out of the Hayward S&T, we won't be able to use it to trade for a player making more than about ~22M or so unless we do another transaction to send out other salary somewhere.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 09:30:21 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Count me as someone who thinks that having 4 guys who expect to score 20 ppg is a bad idea. I think the metric to watch is how many additional ppg do Tatum and Brown post this year between them. I'm guessing it is north of 6 ppg.

I think it would have been better if it was Kemba instead of Hayward to go, but one of them had to go. If Tatum and Brown add more than 6 ppg and Kemba scores over 18 ppg, we will be a considerably better team next year.

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2020, 09:36:53 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15

How so?

Hayward did not play for the team at all hardly, so losing his contract is a plus.

Thompson is better than Kanter
Teague is better than Wannamaker

Nesmith and Pritchard are better than Nothing.

Not sure why everyone’s confused;

Lost Kyrie and Horford for Kemba and Kanter...
Lost Hayward for TT and Jeff Teague

The playoff run was vastly overrated, we didn’t look all that good. I’m sure if we matched up against the Bucks again we would have been out earlier.

Hayward although injured the majority of his time brought reliable offense that no one else could bring. The biggest point is we couldn’t get pass the Heat and we are in no better position it get pass them now with the moves we have made.

The worse of it is the heat may be the least of our worries with Philly and the Nets getting back full strength.