Author Topic: Tristan Thompson signing with Cs  (Read 44770 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson signing with Cs
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2020, 11:39:05 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Amazing how Larry Bird got by without Robert Parish “spacing the floor”

Having these centers shoot 3s drives me nuts. I hope they just let him do what he does well.  He always killed us in the playoffs. And not by shooting 3s. Ugh
Parish was a fantastic midrange shooter in an era that was obsessed with midrange jumpshots to space the floor.

Never saw Chief get his shot blocked either....High release and arc...swish.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2020, 11:42:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Over on SoSH they too have a TT thread. One of the topics raised was whether TT can become a credible 3 point shooter. they are less than optimistic about it, per this post....

"There is a pretty rich recent history of big men adding 3 point shots later in their career, and there's one really common thread between them: FT%

Al Horford: 75%
Baynes: 80%
Brooke Lopez: 79%
Marc Gasol: 78%
Chris Bosh: 80%
Serge Ibaka: 76%

Tristan Thompson: 61%

I wouldn't hold my breath that the incredibly small sample from last year continues."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2020, 11:55:20 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Very happy about this signing. Better signing than Millsap because it's at center we have a real need and he is 6 years younger. He will give us offensive rebounds of Kanter in being a very correct defensor unlike the "dervish rounder". So he may be our conrerstone center on PO when bad matchups for Theis (ala Bam)
He will give another option to compete with Theis (and RW) for minutes. Even if we don't have a BIG tall boy, the combination of one exp vet (only 29) who made 3 final as a titular and is one of the best rebounder esp off, a specialost of the switch and a young gun with a lot of athletic quality satisfy me totally.

« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2020, 12:12:51 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
FWIW: NBA TV "Free Agent Fever" analyst says Cs will likely use any TPE from CHA on TT to save the MLE.

« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2020, 12:15:45 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
FWIW: NBA TV "Free Agent Fever" analyst says Cs will likely use any TPE from CHA on TT to save the MLE.
Huh, interesting. Maybe we aren't done yet?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2020, 12:20:56 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Aside from rebounding, the other skill that TT possesses (which I think many on here appreciate) is hustle. I was watching highlights of him and I forgot how hard this guy plays.

He’s practically the opposite of Hayward. Hayward’s got all the tools but can play passively at times. TT has much more limited skills but plays with all-out energy.
- LilRip

« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2020, 12:22:15 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I like that Teague has  played in 71 career playoff games
Thompson had played in 78 career playoff games
Lots of experience coming to Boston. This is something we have really needed. Gritty hard experience

« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2020, 12:28:17 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Aside from rebounding, the other skill that TT possesses (which I think many on here appreciate) is hustle. I was watching highlights of him and I forgot how hard this guy plays.

He’s practically the opposite of Hayward. Hayward’s got all the tools but can play passively at times. TT has much more limited skills but plays with all-out energy.

The Celtics just got a lot more grit and grind!

« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2020, 12:29:33 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I like that Teague has  played in 71 career playoff games
Thompson had played in 78 career playoff games
Lots of experience coming to Boston. This is something we have really needed. Gritty hard experience

Plus, TT has won it all. No discounting championship experience, both losing AND winning in the finals
- LilRip

« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2020, 12:51:07 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
This is AWESOME!!! I have been pushing Thompson for the MLE for weeks and thought this was a best case scenario if we lost Hayward. I know he’s got his issues, but I am happier with Thompson with the MLE than Turner when taking contracts into consideration.

I agree.  This was one of my "best case scenario" options,  and I actuality do prefer it over Turner.

Thompson can defend and rebound, and can get some scrap points.   Also has championship veteran experience which is another thing the celtics desperately need.

« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2020, 12:58:32 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

Yep, he brings some much needed toughness.

He reminds me of a 6'9" marcus smart

I have basically been saying for a week now that Boston needs a big who can defend+rebound and control the paint,  they need toughness, and they need a couple of savvy veterans with playoff experience.  And they need a scorer off the bench.

Danny TT and JT bring experience and leadership, TT brings rebounding defence and toughness, and I'm hoping Teague and Nesmith can provide some consistent scoring punch off the bench. 

Got to say, this is close to the happiest I've felt about a Celtics off-season in a long time

« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2020, 01:22:50 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Yep, he brings some much needed toughness.

He reminds me of a 6'9" marcus smart

I have basically been saying for a week now that Boston needs a big who can defend+rebound and control the paint,  they need toughness, and they need a couple of savvy veterans with playoff experience.  And they need a scorer off the bench.

Danny TT and JT bring experience and leadership, TT brings rebounding defence and toughness, and I'm hoping Teague and Nesmith can provide some consistent scoring punch off the bench. 

Got to say, this is close to the happiest I've felt about a Celtics off-season in a long time
true. This Is exciting. Lets's see how Ainge caps off the off season. Still the s&t with charlotte and maybe another couple free agents

« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2020, 01:56:31 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Not bad.  We should be tough defensively this year.  He only played 53, 43, and 57 games in the past 3 years though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2020, 02:06:33 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not bad.  We should be tough defensively this year.  He only played 53, 43, and 57 games in the past 3 years though.

But if you played in Cleveland would you really want to show up to work to often?

« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2020, 02:43:21 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Why not Baynes instead? Better defender, better 3PT shot, knows Brad and the system. Can Baynes get more than the MLE?

I personally don’t see a huge upgrade from Kanter to Thompson. Even if Thompson is “better,” I’m not sure his impact will be that much greater in Brad’s system.

Robert Williams can become a better rebounder (maybe not elite like TT, but better) and defender with more PT. Now I feel he’s stuck behind TT and Theis, stunting his growth for a similar player. At least Baynes brings a different aspect.
CELTICS 2024