Author Topic: Now DA should be on the hot seat  (Read 24600 times)

Re: Now DA should be on the hot seat
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2020, 04:36:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Or -- hear me out -- no.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I agree he should be.
Nobody has convinced me yet that he hasn’t mismanaged this Hayward debacle.

More importantly why hasn’t Tatum signed the super max yet? I’m getting weary of that happening.

There just isn’t something right about Boston right now, top free agents or stars come and leave first chance they can.

Regardless if he did or did not botch the Hayward deal the perception on the league right now is Ainge got greedy and did Hayward dirty. He wanted to go home to Indy and Ainge prevented it to a player that sacrificed plenty this season for the team.

Kyrie couldn’t get out fast enough, Horford as well. He traded IT, which was the right move but from a player perspective he screwed him as well.

I think Ainge has a bad rep, and it’s time for Celtics management to make a change to save the future of this team.

That's literally not the perception around the league. The perception is that Charlotte just overbid on Hayward and took it out of both Boston's and Indy's hands.

Agree to disagree, just spent two hours listening to NBA radio and 98.5 and the common narrative is Hayward wanted Indiana and Ainge overplayed his hand. Charlotte wasn’t in anybody’s radar.

Whether or not Charlotte overpaid is a different story, the narrative for Ainge is that Indy wanted Hayward, Hayward wanted Indy and the deal didn’t get done.

Sure, they both wanted each other, but at different prices. If they all agree on where to send a player but not at the same cost, then the agreement is useless. Seems clear that Hayward wanted Indy to get close to matching Charlotte's offer, but they didn't come close enough.

Again this is all speculation, as is mine that Ainge dropped the ball. The only people that know what really happened are the Celtics, Pacers, Hayward camp and Hornets..

With the above being said, the perception of Ainge across the league is that he’ll stab you in the back first chance he can and Players don’t want to stay in Boston.

One narrative amongst many is that Hayward sacrificed the birth of his child to come back hurt for the team and Ainge didn’t even have the decency to trade him to the team he wanted to go to, and for a fair deal.. he wanted more. True or not it’s one belief that exists right now.

Horford wanted out, Kyrie couldn’t get out fast enough and Hayward opted out of 34 million to get out. I can’t imagine Kyrie has said good things to his superstar peers about Ainge and the Celtics organization.
Then you have guys like IT who sacrificed himself for the team and his contract who got shipped off with no remorse. Hell Kemba has been centered around trade talks as well after one season. Ainge has a bad rep with players, and I feel in many ways it’s warranted and because of that, as well as in my opinion many bad overplayed hands, that we need a change at GM.

And again, why hasn’t Tatum signed the super max? I like most thought that would have been announced at 6:05 yesterday.. does Tatum want out as well?

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I don't see the argument. As has been stated here 3 out 4 of the last ECF's.

He tried to get AD + Kyrie + Hayward and hurt the team with that effort. If he HAD gotten them? They would have had a shot.

I really think you can ring him up for that. Daniel Thies has been our center and that is Ainge's fault. FA period last year was a disaster (Kanter/Poirier)  and the team is playing Miami in the ECF with no front court.

I have watched attempts at small ball in the playoffs these last two years and I'd appreciate it if Ainge would tell Stevens and the statistics guys he's got that having tall people near the rim has been working in the NBA for 70 years or so. Kevin, Robert Cowens, Russell all have rings.

Thus if you can't get AD, that doesn't mean going with a bench power forward all season long to the playoffs.

"The roster is going backward"?

First of all, he isn't done yet and no, I haven't been impressed with his FA work of late but, the team will be in the finals again this year and, if he doesn't have a front court?  You have a case.

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2020, 04:45:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I agree he should be.

More importantly why hasn’t Tatum signed the super max yet? I’m getting weary of that happening.

There just isn’t something right about Boston right now, top free agents or stars come and leave first chance they can.

Regardless if he did or did not botch the Hayward deal the perception on the league right now is Ainge got greedy and did Hayward dirty. He wanted to go home to Indy and Ainge prevented it to a player that sacrificed plenty this season for the team.

Kyrie couldn’t get out fast enough, Horford as well. He traded IT, which was the right move but from a player perspective he screwed him as well.

I think Ainge has a bad rep, and it’s time for Celtics management to make a change to save the future of this team.

That's literally not the perception around the league. The perception is that Charlotte just overbid on Hayward and took it out of both Boston's and Indy's hands.

Agree to disagree, just spent two hours listening to NBA radio and 98.5 and the common narrative is Hayward wanted Indiana and Ainge overplayed his hand. Charlotte wasn’t in anybody’s radar.

Whether or not Charlotte overpaid is a different story, the narrative for Ainge is that Indy wanted Hayward, Hayward wanted Indy and the deal didn’t get done.

Sure, they both wanted each other, but at different prices. If they all agree on where to send a player but not at the same cost, then the agreement is useless. Seems clear that Hayward wanted Indy to get close to matching Charlotte's offer, but they didn't come close enough.

Again this is all speculation, as is mine that Ainge dropped the ball. The only people that know what really happened are the Celtics, Pacers, Hayward camp and Hornets..

With the above being said, the perception of Ainge across the league is that he’ll stab you in the back first chance he can and Players don’t want to stay in Boston.

One narrative amongst many is that Hayward sacrificed the birth of his child to come back hurt for the team and Ainge didn’t even have the decency to trade him to the team he wanted to go to, and for a fair deal.. he wanted more. True or not it’s one belief that exists right now.

Horford wanted out, Kyrie couldn’t get out fast enough and Hayward opted out of 34 million to get out. I can’t imagine Kyrie has said good things to his superstar peers about Ainge and the Celtics organization.
Then you have guys like IT who sacrificed himself for the team and his contract who got shipped off with no remorse. Hell Kemba has been centered around trade talks as well after one season. Ainge has a bad rep with players, and I feel in many ways it’s warranted and because of that, as well as in my opinion many bad overplayed hands, that we need a change at GM.

And again, why hasn’t Tatum signed the super max? I like most thought that would have been announced at 6:05 yesterday.. does Tatum want out as well?

This is a ton of conjecture.

But as to your last point about Tatum, Donovan Mitchell and Brandon Ingram haven't agreed to new deals yet either. No one is panicking.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2020, 04:47:20 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
The sky is not falling for me. I never thought this current team was a real contender.
Need to develop the youngsters and patiently build arount Tatum and Brown.
No need to panic.

However you have to question whether the moves that Ainge made and didn't make since 2017 have helped the team forward. Luckily Ainge nailed those top 3 picks in 2016 and 2017.

Imagine how our roster would look like if we had Fultz and Bender instead of Brown and Tatum.

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think Ainge should be on the hot seat yet.  I'm still amazed at how we played last season after losing Irving, Horford, and Morris.  I expected to take a big step backwards but we took a step forward instead.  It's not Ainge's fault that there is a salary cap and he only has so much money to spend.  Losing Hayward hurts but it is what it is... Charlotte had the money to spend and we didn't.  I'm also happy that the proposed Indiana deal didn't happen because I wouldn't be thrilled with the prospect of Turner taking $18,000,000 when I don't think he's much of an upgrade on Theis for $5,000,000.  Milsap wouldn't be thrilling for me either.  A couple people mentioned Bogdonovich and acquiring him would probably make Celtics fans optimistic again.  I don't think we can grade Ainge until the offseason is over.

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
I agree he should be.

tatum is signing that

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »

Offline JBJT619

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
Lol okay or we could let also Danny Ainge off the hook despite not giving Stevens a viable frontcourt since he's been in Boston.

His starting centers have been:
Jared Sullinger
Olynyk
Tyler Zeller
Amir Johnson for stretches
Daniel Theis

and the only meaningful big to play in Boston since KG left, Al Horford.

Or given the fact that he's built no viable bench for Stevens. These are all team building mistakes. It is Danny Ainge's job to invest into making sure we can actually roll out a viable starting 5 without starting players that would otherwise be getting backup minutes or not even playing (Theis). Ainge hasn't been horrible, but I just don't see how we can sit here and act like Danny Ainge has done a good job of building an entire roster. The GS and the LAs of the world win because they have top tier talent, very good bench depth, and a relatively deep frontcourt. We don't have that and it's been a long time since we've had that imo.

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2020, 04:49:44 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
Ownership will never put Ainge on the hot seat. They are bigger fan boys than the people on this site. They deserve to lose Tatum in a few years since they refuse to hold anyone accountable for the team getting worse. Tatum should pray that Pat Riley is still running the Heat in a few years.  It’s funny how everyone played up all of DA’s assets a few years back yet Riley gets his team to the finals instead.

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2020, 04:54:12 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
The sky is not falling for me. I never thought this current team was a real contender.
Need to develop the youngsters and patiently build arount Tatum and Brown.
No need to panic.

However you have to question whether the moves that Ainge made and didn't make since 2017 have helped the team forward. Luckily Ainge nailed those top 3 picks in 2016 and 2017.

Imagine how our roster would look like if we had Fultz and Bender instead of Brown and Tatum.

That’s the other thing, he hit with Tatum, Brown and Smart but since he has stockpiled draft picks since the brooklyn trade he’s theoretically gone 3 for 26 on drafting players, that’s really not a strong success rate. For a guy who loves stockpiling draft picks you think he’d have a better track record obviously not counting Maine Claws championships.

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2020, 04:55:22 PM »

Offline JBJT619

• Brad Stevens
Ownership will never put Ainge on the hot seat. They are bigger fan boys than the people on this site. They deserve to lose Tatum in a few years since they refuse to hold anyone accountable for the team getting worse. Tatum should pray that Pat Riley is still running the Heat in a few years.  It’s funny how everyone played up all of DA’s assets a few years back yet Riley gets his team to the finals instead.

Lol exacty Riley has literally been drafting in the late lottery/mid-first for 3-4 years straight and has just been making strategic decisions in trades/FA to bring his team back to relevancy and made them a top tier FA destination. I'm not sure why the fanaticism exists on this site for Danny Ainge and not Brad Stevens lol.

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2020, 04:56:22 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Lol exacty Riley has literally been drafting in the late lottery/mid-first for 3-4 years straight and has just been making strategic decisions in trades/FA to bring his team back to relevancy and made them a top tier FA destination. I'm not sure why the fanaticism exists on this site for Danny Ainge and not Brad Stevens lol.

Maybe actually listen to the people instead of jumping to conclusions.

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2020, 05:00:11 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
it going to be funny when the nets get to the finals before danny. 

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2020, 05:02:56 PM »

Offline JBJT619

• Brad Stevens
Nice response! I've been a member of this site even before. I actually wasn't an active  part of the community for awhile, but I've been on these forums since Stevens was hired lol. So yes I've heard all the excuses and ridiculous complaints about Brad's coaching style.

I'm not sure how many times he'll take us to the ECF before they realize that Danny is shooting him in the foot with inherently flawed rosters.

Until we upgrade our frontcourt in a significant way we will not win a championship. I can't even remember a championship team that didn't either have a fantastic defensive/deep frontcourt or serious star power at the position that won. Maybe Cleveland when Love was injured (Not even sure he was injured that year).

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2020, 05:06:03 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Lol okay or we could let also Danny Ainge off the hook despite not giving Stevens a viable frontcourt since he's been in Boston.

His starting centers have been:
Jared Sullinger
Olynyk
Tyler Zeller
Amir Johnson for stretches
Daniel Theis

and the only meaningful big to play in Boston since KG left, Al Horford.

Or given the fact that he's built no viable bench for Stevens. These are all team building mistakes. It is Danny Ainge's job to invest into making sure we can actually roll out a viable starting 5 without starting players that would otherwise be getting backup minutes or not even playing (Theis). Ainge hasn't been horrible, but I just don't see how we can sit here and act like Danny Ainge has done a good job of building an entire roster. The GS and the LAs of the world win because they have top tier talent, very good bench depth, and a relatively deep frontcourt. We don't have that and it's been a long time since we've had that imo.

When Stevens had Rozier/Smart/Morris/Theis/Baynes as a bench the problem became that the bench players wanted more minutes and usage, and couldn't be satisfied. As a reaction Ainge went the other way and made sure that he only got players for the second unit that wouldn't complain about their bench roles.

I think both Stevens and Ainge have made some mistakes. And of course some players are to blame as well.
Maybe it would be a good time to step down for Ainge and let Zarren deal with the new Tatum/Brown era, but I don't believe he needs to be fired.