Author Topic: Now DA should be on the hot seat  (Read 24585 times)

Re: Now DA should be on the hot seat
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2020, 09:29:11 AM »

Offline SlapSlapSlap

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Guys, come on.  Danny may be one of the top 5 GMs in the game.  Is he perfect, no, but he's better than most.  He is creative and does not mortgage the farm for a 1-2 year "make pretend chance at a title."  We have two of the best young players in the game locked up long term but last I checked, Lebron and AD are still on the same team.  I think more of a focus neds to be on  Brad Stevens and his room for growth as a coach.   One of the previous posters nailed it.  We need to develop and evaluate the young talent we have on hand so that so that we can determine which young players are building blocks or trade fodder for the team to take the next step.  Remember, this isn't LA.  It is pretty easy as a GM to win when Lebron James and AD handpick your team to play for because of location.   

« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2020, 09:41:01 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Guys, come on.  Danny may be one of the top 5 GMs in the game.  Is he perfect, no, but he's better than most.  He is creative and does not mortgage the farm for a 1-2 year "make pretend chance at a title."  We have two of the best young players in the game locked up long term but last I checked, Lebron and AD are still on the same team.  I think more of a focus neds to be on  Brad Stevens and his room for growth as a coach.   One of the previous posters nailed it.  We need to develop and evaluate the young talent we have on hand so that so that we can determine which young players are building blocks or trade fodder for the team to take the next step.  Remember, this isn't LA.  It is pretty easy as a GM to win when Lebron James and AD handpick your team to play for because of location.

The only GM i would trade with Danny would be Ujiri.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
The doctors should be on the hot seat for not seeing Kemba's issues a year ago.  And if Danny had signed Al and Gordon to those contracts, I'd want him fired too.  Those contracts are just plain stupid.

« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Imagine if Danny drafted Bender or Dunn in 2016 who were the more popular choices over Brown or Fultz or Jackson over Tatum in 2017.  Or given Horford $109 million last year.

Danny is a pretty good GM.  I think we’re lucky to have him.

« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2020, 02:06:33 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Imagine if Danny drafted Bender or Dunn in 2016 who were the more popular choices over Brown or Fultz or Jackson over Tatum in 2017.  Or given Horford $109 million last year.

Danny is a pretty good GM.  I think we’re lucky to have him.

And people thought Smart go over payed, and seeing how he won playoff games this year just on his D he might be on a good deal, especially when he his 11 3's lol.

We went from blowing it up to Being in the mix the last few years, and leaning on 2 you guys because our Big guns that he brought in on FA were hurt. Remember Tatum dunking on Lebron rookie year, and being a quarter from the finals.  Only reason they didn't win is cause we had no bench help and the CAVS role players actually stepped up.

I like were we are compared to Phili who started the same time we did. Embiid is nice, but hurt a lot, and was FAT in the playoffs, so I question his want. Simmons can be a great player, but man he can't shoot. Brown and Tatum are more complete players than them.

Many other teams have it WAY worse than we do.... Knick,Hornets,TWolves have had really good players but have sucked. And for what ever reason, I'm kinda excited for this team.

« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2020, 02:40:09 PM »

Offline $Mike$

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I believed the Celtics needed to address the following this off-season: Center who can compete with the "Big Centers.;" shooters/shooting percentage, and bench scoring.

When available, I really like Hayward's game. His game is well rounded and I don't think the Celtics could have found an "apples for apples" trade/replacement to match what he can do when on the court. Once it was known he was moving on, I liked the idea of getting Turner and McDermott and was shocked and disappointed to hear about Hayward going to Charlotte. Since then, Ainge has been getting bashed by many for not making the deal with Indiana and a few other things. As I looked deeper into some of the things he is being criticized for, I am thinking more and more that he is making the right moves.

Ainge didn't want Turner. He is not a center who has done well against the bigs in the league. He's definitely a shot-blocker, but so is Robert Williams. Turner spaces the floor better than Williams, but not much better than Theis. A closer look leads me to believe Turner doesn't bring much more than a combination of Theis and Williams and does not help the Celtics defend the bigs, which I believe to be an area of need. Maybe Ainge is wrong and I am as well...I did find it interesting that Coach Popovich, who most believe to be a good coach, used Jaylen Brown over Turner to defend the bigger opponents when they both played for him on the US Team. Thompson addresses the need to improve the team against bigs better than Turner and for less money and fewer years of commitment.

I have read that Ainge should have moved up in the draft. While it is a lot to expect Nesmith, a 14th pick rookie, to contribute his first year with the team, I have to wonder if many of the critics of this pick wanted Ainge to move up to the 13th pick for Tyler Herro last year and what their thoughts are on Herro's contribution to the Heat in his first year with the team.

I actually watched Oregon play several times last year and like the Pritchard selection. I have to think he would have been available at 30, but Ainge knew he wanted him and the risk vs. reward of trading 26 instead of 30 didn't come with enough value to risk.

Until the games are played, we can only go by "on paper." I believe on paper, the Celtics have improved the center position, added scorers, and made the bench deeper.