Author Topic: Next year's rotation  (Read 16772 times)

Re: Next year's rotation
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2020, 11:43:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
C- Thompson, Timelord, Theis, Fall
F- Tatum, Gwill
F- Brown, Nesmith, Ojeleye
G- Smart, Langford, Edwards
G- Walker, Teague, Pritchard, Waters
or.....

ball handlers
Smart, Walker, Teague, Pritchard, Waters

wings
Tatum, Gwill, Brown, Nesmith, Ojeleye, Langford, Edwards

bigs
Thompson, Timelord, Theis, Fall (2 way), and Gwill on occasion

and i hope they add giles.
Fall and Waters on 2-way.  14 players otherwise provided they don't cut Edwards. 

hoping they can land either a decent 3rd string big or a vet 3&D wing that can eat up some minutes while Romeo heals and Nesmith learns the system

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2020, 11:47:20 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
As of right now, my starting lineup would be:

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Thompson

Bench unit:

Teague
Theis
G Williams
R Williams
Nesmith

But don’t think the Cs are done yet. Think they are going to add/trade for another veteran or two.

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2020, 11:54:57 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1381
I would run back the same starting lineup we had during the playoffs last season, with the main interchangeable piece being at the 5 like it has been for the last few years. We lose some offense and playmaking with Smart replacing Gordon but we gain in defense and hustle. I think Theis stays as the default small ball 5 but with Kardashian there we have a guy when we need to go big vs the likes of Embiid or AD. Our bench looks solid with Teague running the point as the backup and we have more shooters if Nesmith and Pritchard are as good as advertised.

No doubt Gordon is a big loss but I think we can cover for him. If nothing else roles and hierarchy are further clarified. I'd hope that the Jays will keep improving and be able to do some more of those playmaking and drive and kick roles that Gordon filled for us.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2020, 12:17:52 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Many time I was disapointed with the roster Dannys made at the begining of the season. Many time I was wrong : I was desperate when he sold the 10's team and esp Pierce to begin a full rebuilt, I thought we had to keep PP until the end as a Celtic and th ooposite was an heresie, I was ag taking Hayward and prefered Griffin (OK maybe this time I was right), also I wasn't OK with the IT trade, morally and because I wasn't ever a fan of Irving metallity. But now I understand he had to do it. Last year esp I was very annoyed we lost Horford and Irving for ntgh. I really thought it would take years to come to the ECF again. I was wrong.

This year I hopped we would draft Nesmith and signing TT as I told in this forum. So if I am always wrong, it may be a bad sign for us and a downgrade year  ;D
But if you look honnestly to the team, last year we arrived close to FINALS almost without a bench (don't coint of course Hayward as he was not there). This year Grant, RObert, Langfor will have one more year, Nesmith is the kind of player, if he can defend a little, who can bring 3 point socring and spacing since day one. Jeff Teague may not be the same as 4-5 years ago but he is still an experimenced Guard who can defend and do a little evtgh off. It's clrearly an upgrade in comparaison of a player who played to CSP Limoges 5 years ago (even if I liked Wannamaker, having him playing in PO is an heresie). Tristan is always playable unlike Kanter, giving the same off rebound threat.
And the more important : Tatum was just jumping a big gap last year, but I guess we didn't see evtgh yet. Brown is the kind of player to continue with hard working to grow a lot int he 25's and so on... Smart without Hayward has a more important and esp more clear role in the team.

For all this reason I think the roster will be better next year and will continue to get better until Tatum and Brown reach their limites. And it's funny how many people voted here that we have a badest roster even before looking at the end of the FA... I was also a bit sour about Gordon Hayward... More about his attitude even if of course he is on his right to do what he wants. But I am happy he is not here anymore. He brought very little thing to us for a lot of money, OK a lot because of injury, but also because of his softness. Kirie was probably a cancer in this team with Rozier ans Morris. But GH was also a little cyst I guess (OK my comparaison is not very chic).

Now we have a duo of wonderfull young leaders and the vets will be there to bring role things, exprience and measured thing. No more time for big ego or soft player !
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:36:05 AM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2020, 12:32:55 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
With another year of experience under his belt, I think our best player is one step closer to being in the MVP conversation. So just by virtue of that, our team’s already in a better position than last year. I’m talking about our boy Tacko, of course.
- LilRip

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2020, 12:34:05 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
With another year of experience under his belt, I think our best player is one step closer to being in the MVP conversation. So just by virtue of that, our team’s already in a better position than last year. I’m talking about our boy Tacko, of course.

Elijah Fall for life.

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2020, 03:15:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
I really like this starting lineup. Kemba-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Thompson

Tatum and Brown continue marginal improvements. Kemba is comfortable in his role in Boston now. Smart and Thompson are your dirty work guys. Theis comes in if you need to do more switching.

I don't know if this roster is better than last year but I really like how all these pieces fit.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2020, 03:45:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Thompson

Bench unit:

Teague
Theis
G Williams
R Williams
Nesmith

But don’t think the Cs are done yet. Think they are going to add/trade for another veteran or two.

I think Langford's going to be in the rotation this season.

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2020, 04:01:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Thompson

Bench unit:

Teague
Theis
G Williams
R Williams
Nesmith

I think Langford's going to be in the rotation this season.
Semi still on the roster too.

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2020, 04:01:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why do so many folks think Thompson deserves to start over Theis?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2020, 04:05:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Many time I was disapointed with the roster Dannys made at the begining of the season. Many time I was wrong : I was desperate when he sold the 10's team and esp Pierce to begin a full rebuilt, I thought we had to keep PP until the end as a Celtic and th ooposite was an heresie, I was ag taking Hayward and prefered Griffin (OK maybe this time I was right), also I wasn't OK with the IT trade, morally and because I wasn't ever a fan of Irving metallity. But now I understand he had to do it. Last year esp I was very annoyed we lost Horford and Irving for ntgh. I really thought it would take years to come to the ECF again. I was wrong.

This year I hopped we would draft Nesmith and signing TT as I told in this forum. So if I am always wrong, it may be a bad sign for us and a downgrade year  ;D
But if you look honnestly to the team, last year we arrived close to FINALS almost without a bench (don't coint of course Hayward as he was not there). This year Grant, RObert, Langfor will have one more year, Nesmith is the kind of player, if he can defend a little, who can bring 3 point socring and spacing since day one. Jeff Teague may not be the same as 4-5 years ago but he is still an experimenced Guard who can defend and do a little evtgh off. It's clrearly an upgrade in comparaison of a player who played to CSP Limoges 5 years ago (even if I liked Wannamaker, having him playing in PO is an heresie). Tristan is always playable unlike Kanter, giving the same off rebound threat.
And the more important : Tatum was just jumping a big gap last year, but I guess we didn't see evtgh yet. Brown is the kind of player to continue with hard working to grow a lot int he 25's and so on... Smart without Hayward has a more important and esp more clear role in the team.

For all this reason I think the roster will be better next year and will continue to get better until Tatum and Brown reach their limites. And it's funny how many people voted here that we have a badest roster even before looking at the end of the FA... I was also a bit sour about Gordon Hayward... More about his attitude even if of course he is on his right to do what he wants. But I am happy he is not here anymore. He brought very little thing to us for a lot of money, OK a lot because of injury, but also because of his softness. Kirie was probably a cancer in this team with Rozier ans Morris. But GH was also a little cyst I guess (OK my comparaison is not very chic).

Now we have a duo of wonderfull young leaders and the vets will be there to bring role things, exprience and measured thing. No more time for big ego or soft player !
Excellent post, TP for you.  ;)

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2020, 04:18:39 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Thompson

Bench unit:

Teague
Theis
G Williams
R Williams
Nesmith

Teague/Nesmith/G.Williams/Theis/R.Williams is a bit of a weird bench unit. Although Grant did improve his 3-point-shot, so it might work. Since Langford will be out for a while those should be the regular rotation players, unless Pritchard is actually already better than Teague (I'm hoping). Edit: no Surferdad, no more Ojeleye please!!!   ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:43:00 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm not expecting anymore moves either. Can't say I'm thrilled with the outcome, losing Hayward for nothing  :'( :'( :'(, but it is what it is. Considering Langford will be out for a while and I don't regard Waters, Edwards, Ojeleye, Fall as legitimate rotation players (yet), here's how my minutes distribution looks like based on our current roster (Walker gets some load management, which increases minutes to Pritchard/Teague):

PG: Walker (27), Pritchard/Teague (15), Smart (6)
SG: Brown (24), Smart (24)
SF: Tatum (21), Nesmith (18), Brown (9)
PF: Thompson (18), G.Williams (18), Tatum (12)
C: Theis (21), R.Williams (21), Thompson (6)

In general:

Starters: Walker/Brown/Tatum/Thompson/Theis
Bench: Pritchard/Smart/Nesmith/G.Williams/R.Williams

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2020, 04:50:56 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

I would start them both, but I think it's some kind of unconscious justification of the outcome of this free agency period.

If Thompson is your only big I see zero reason why that would be better than having Theis as your only big for either your offense or especially defense. Theis is a much better PnR-defender and rim protector. On offense Theis is more efficient and a better passer. The one thing where Thompson has a clear edge is rebounding, in particular offense rebounds.

In fact if you look at all the metrics and advanced stats Tristan Thompson has never had a season as good as what Daniel Theis did last year. So your question is more than valid.

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2020, 05:00:09 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1490

I don't.  I think the default starter is DT, and if the match ups require we adjust to TT.  But I don't know what teams TT would match up better with?  Maybe 76's so DT doesn't get so many bad foul calls?