Author Topic: Next year's rotation  (Read 16729 times)

Re: Next year's rotation
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 10:20:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No Grant or Timelord?

I dont think any major splash will happen.  Wyc preparing to pay Tatum max.

C -  Timelord - Giles - Gwilliams - O'Quinn - Fall

F - Tatum - GWilliams - Ojeleye

F - Brown - Nesmith

G - Smart - Langford - Green

G - Walker - Pritchard - Edwards - Waters

* Kanter traded
* Harry Giles mle
* Kyle O'Quinn vet min

No Theis?

Nope.  If he comesback he instantneously becomes Stevens pet at the 5. We cant have that vs Heat, Bucks etc

Timelord needs to take it to the next level.  I really do think Giles will be coming over. Especially since he is very close with Tatum, and childhood friends with Grant Williams. Probably someone Danny had his eye on since HS as well

He was solid for a stretch of 30 plus games for Kings last season.  They went 16-16 with no other center able to play.  Still only 22 years old.

If Timelord can't earn minutes over Theis, that's a problem with Timelord, not Theis or Brad. We're not a lottery team that should be focused on throwing young guys to the wolves and just taking the losses if/when they fail, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

Theis is still the best center on this team, and should continue to get 24mpg. That still leaves plenty of time for the Williams' and/or a guy like Giles, there's no reason to further weaken our weakest position.

Theis is Brad teachers pet.  Other coaches would have played Timelord or Grant Williams over him against Bam. Especially game 6 4th quarter.

End of the day. It is more on Brad than Theis. I just want to give Brad no opportunity to resort that option.

Plenty of mins can go around between  Timelord, Giles, Gwill at the 5. Plus knowing Brad system, at times he will go really small anyways

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 10:29:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Hayward signs a long-term contract with the C's:

- Dump Kanter for cap relief + whatever future pick(s) we can get.
- Sign Nerlens Noel.

PG: Kemba - Smart - Pritchard
SG: Brown - Romeo - Edwards
SF: Hayward - Nesmith - meh
PF: Tatum - Grant - Semi
C: Theis - Timelord - Noel

If Hayward gets traded to the Knicks/Hawks for a TPE:

- Use the newly created TPE + Timelord to trade for Christian Wood. It would have to be a sign and trade.
- Again, dump Kanter. Replace him with Noel.

PG: Kemba - Pritchard - meh
SG: Brown - Smart - Edwards
SF: Nesmith - Romeo - meh
C: Wood - Theis - Noel

Alternatively, we could start Smart over Nesmith. I just think this would be a more functional lineup.

Don't like the Indy trade. Hayward is hands down the best player in the trade. Obviously, I'd rather take that deal than let him walk.

Wood at center doesn't improve this team. Dude is very overrated on this board. We are better with Time Lord.

You said the same thing about Wendell Carter.

Woods averaged 13.1 ppg over 62 games last year in 21.4 minutes.
He shot .567/.386/.744 The dude can shoot and take people off the dribble
When they played him more at the end of the year, he exploded.

Williams scored 5.2 ppg in 13.4 minutes (mostly dunks), without a single 3

No one knows for sure what Christian Wood is because he has improved so quickly, but if he can keep his head together, he is several levels more talented than Robert Williams. Unless Woods turns out to have persistent personal issues, there is no universe where Timelord is a better player.

I did say the same thing about Wendell Carter. And I am right about that as well.  You guys are still reading the scouting reports from his days at Duke, and his upside.  WCJ is so overrated.  And now Woods is another overrated binkie.  He is a power forward, not dissimilar to Jaylen Smith. I bet you wanted him as well.  Sigh.

RW3 is a much better defender and passer than Woods.  Much quicker decision maker.  Better shot blocker.  Will be a better rebounder.

Woods can shoot the 3. Woopie dang doo.  So can Myles Turner.  Are you clamoring for him as well?

Everyone here always wants the shiny new toys, and can't appreciate what is already in their possession.   

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 10:31:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
No Grant or Timelord?

F - Brown - Nesmith

* Kanter traded
* Harry Giles mle
* Kyle O'Quinn vet min

No Theis?

Nope.  If he comesback he instantneously becomes Stevens pet at the 5. We cant have that vs Heat, Bucks etc

Timelord needs to take it to the next level.  I really do think Giles will be coming over. Especially since he is very close with Tatum, and childhood friends with Grant Williams. Probably someone Danny had his eye on since HS as well

He was solid for a stretch of 30 plus games for Kings last season.  They went 16-16 with no other center able to play.  Still only 22 years old.

If Timelord can't earn minutes over Theis, that's a problem with Timelord, not Theis or Brad. We're not a lottery team that should be focused on throwing young guys to the wolves and just taking the losses if/when they fail, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

Theis is still the best center on this team, and should continue to get 24mpg. That still leaves plenty of time for the Williams' and/or a guy like Giles, there's no reason to further weaken our weakest position.

Theis is Brad teachers pet.  Other coaches would have played Timelord or Grant Williams over him against Bam. Especially game 6 4th quarter.

End of the day. It is more on Brad than Theis. I just want to give Brad no opportunity to resort that option.

Plenty of mins can go around between  Timelord, Giles, Gwill at the 5. Plus knowing Brad system, at times he will go really small anyways

I'm with you, Triboy.  Plus Theis has decent trade value. Would love to package him with Hayward on sign/trade. 

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 10:55:35 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No idea what it will be right now. I'd like a deal for Turner still with Smart and Kanter for him. Then do sign and trade of Hayward and two 2nds to Hawks for Reddish. Sign Bobby Portis

Kemba, Pritchard, Waters
Nesmith, Langford, Edwards
Brown, Reddish
Tatum, Portis, GW
Turner, Theis, TL

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
If Hayward signs a long-term contract with the C's:

- Dump Kanter for cap relief + whatever future pick(s) we can get.
- Sign Nerlens Noel.

PG: Kemba - Smart - Pritchard
SG: Brown - Romeo - Edwards
SF: Hayward - Nesmith - meh
C: Theis - Timelord - Noel

If Hayward gets traded to the Knicks/Hawks for a TPE:

- Use the newly created TPE + Timelord to trade for Christian Wood. It would have to be a sign and trade.
- Again, dump Kanter. Replace him with Noel.

PG: Kemba - Pritchard - meh
SG: Brown - Smart - Edwards
SF: Nesmith - Romeo - meh
C: Wood - Theis - Noel

Alternatively, we could start Smart over Nesmith. I just think this would be a more functional lineup.

Don't like the Indy trade. Hayward is hands down the best player in the trade. Obviously, I'd rather take that deal than let him walk.

Wood at center doesn't improve this team. Dude is very overrated on this board. We are better with Time Lord.

You said the same thing about Wendell Carter.

Woods averaged 13.1 ppg over 62 games last year in 21.4 minutes.
He shot .567/.386/.744 The dude can shoot and take people off the dribble
When they played him more at the end of the year, he exploded.

Williams scored 5.2 ppg in 13.4 minutes (mostly dunks), without a single 3

No one knows for sure what Christian Wood is because he has improved so quickly, but if he can keep his head together, he is several levels more talented than Robert Williams. Unless Woods turns out to have persistent personal issues, there is no universe where Timelord is a better player.

I did say the same thing about Wendell Carter. And I am right about that as well.  You guys are still reading the scouting reports from his days at Duke, and his upside.  WCJ is so overrated.  And now Woods is another overrated binkie.  He is a power forward, not dissimilar to Jaylen Smith. I bet you wanted him as well.  Sigh.

RW3 is a much better defender and passer than Woods.  Much quicker decision maker.  Better shot blocker.  Will be a better rebounder.

Woods can shoot the 3. Woopie dang doo.  So can Myles Turner.  Are you clamoring for him as well?

Everyone here always wants the shiny new toys, and can't appreciate what is already in their possession.

Woods doesnt just hit the 3, he is one of the best bigs in the game at it, and is one of the best bigmen in the nba at rolling to the rim. Dude is a killer in the pick and roll.  a killer.

He is not as good as Timelord at it statistcally, but he doesnt get lost as often as TImelord. He would be much better with a better wing defensive group in front of him.

Personally I would love the 2 of them together in the front court and Wood playing small ball center at end of games.

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Wood
Timelord

end of game
Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Timelord

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2020, 11:03:54 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
No Grant or Timelord?

F - Brown - Nesmith

* Kanter traded
* Harry Giles mle
* Kyle O'Quinn vet min

No Theis?

I'm sorry, but Timelord just isn't as good of a player right now as you think. He has a couple of skills that are better than Theis, but he also has glaring weaknesses and is a weaker player overall. Brad isn't holding him down because he loves Theis, Timelord just isn't there yet as a player.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 11:04:00 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
No idea what it will be right now. I'd like a deal for Turner still with Smart and Kanter for him. Then do sign and trade of Hayward and two 2nds to Hawks for Reddish. Sign Bobby Portis

Kemba, Pritchard, Waters
Nesmith, Langford, Edwards
Brown, Reddish
Tatum, Portis, GW
Turner, Theis, TL

I think you broke the team.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 11:58:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Predictions, not hopes:

1. Hayward signs elsewhere

2. Kanter salary dumped somewhere, same with Carsen Edwards

3. Re-sign Wanamaker (meh, but he's a useful player and the Celts have bird rights)

4. Use Full MLE (~$9 million) .... Alec Burks?  Joe Harris?  I have a feeling it'll be a guard/wing to help replace Hayward

5. Use BAE (~$3 million) ... Baynes? Alex Len? Robin Lopez? Ilyasova?  depth at the 4/5 basically.

6. Keep Semi (mehhhh), two-way Tacko, minimum deal to Waters

Starters:

Kemba + Smart + Brown + Tatum + Theis

Bench:

Burks, Grant Williams, Aaron Nesmith, Robert Williams, Baynes

Wanamaker as backup guard to start, but Waters and Pritchard compete

Deep bench:

Waters, Pritchard, Semi .... 15th spot kept open or used to sign somebody we've never heard of a la Javonte Green

I know this seems like DISASTER! ... CATASTROPHE! .... to a lot of people, but this means we're returning the starting lineup that won two playoff series and another two games in the ECF, with a deeper more talented bench.  Not the worst spot to be in!

Let's all remember as well that Tatum is going to sign a major extension and Jaylen Brown is already locked up for several more years.  It's good to be the Celtics right now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2020, 12:18:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
No Grant or Timelord?

F - Brown - Nesmith

* Kanter traded
* Harry Giles mle
* Kyle O'Quinn vet min

No Theis?

I'm sorry, but Timelord just isn't as good of a player right now as you think. He has a couple of skills that are better than Theis, but he also has glaring weaknesses and is a weaker player overall. Brad isn't holding him down because he loves Theis, Timelord just isn't there yet as a player.

Time Lord has less than one season under his belt due to injury. Now healthy (knock on wood), it is reasonable to project him to overtake Theis, given his superior athleticism and passing prowess.  I really don't care which of them starts, I just feel that their minutes should be close to equal this season.

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2020, 12:31:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Predictions, not hopes:

1. Hayward signs elsewhere

2. Kanter salary dumped somewhere, same with Carsen Edwards

3. Re-sign Wanamaker (meh, but he's a useful player and the Celts have bird rights)

4. Use Full MLE (~$9 million) .... Alec Burks?  Joe Harris?  I have a feeling it'll be a guard/wing to help replace Hayward

5. Use BAE (~$3 million) ... Baynes? Alex Len? Robin Lopez? Ilyasova?  depth at the 4/5 basically.

6. Keep Semi (mehhhh), two-way Tacko, minimum deal to Waters

Starters:

Kemba + Smart + Brown + Tatum + Theis

Bench:

Burks, Grant Williams, Aaron Nesmith, Robert Williams, Baynes

Wanamaker as backup guard to start, but Waters and Pritchard compete

Deep bench:

Waters, Pritchard, Semi .... 15th spot kept open or used to sign somebody we've never heard of a la Javonte Green

I know this seems like DISASTER! ... CATASTROPHE! .... to a lot of people, but this means we're returning the starting lineup that won two playoff series and another two games in the ECF, with a deeper more talented bench.  Not the worst spot to be in!

Let's all remember as well that Tatum is going to sign a major extension and Jaylen Brown is already locked up for several more years.  It's good to be the Celtics right now.
Hayward leaving for nothing is probably worst case scenario for this offseason. If that happens though, I still think this is a good team. Especially if young players can seize rotation minutes. Joe Harris would be my choice for the MLE from your list but I think he will cost more than the MLE. My hope would be that they could get one from the group of Joe Harris, Jerami Grant, Millsap, Giles, Clarkson or Burks with the MLE if Hayward doesn't bring back salary.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No Grant or Timelord?

F - Brown - Nesmith

* Kanter traded
* Harry Giles mle
* Kyle O'Quinn vet min

No Theis?

Time Lord has less than one season under his belt due to injury. Now healthy (knock on wood), it is reasonable to project him to overtake Theis, given his superior athleticism and passing prowess.  I really don't care which of them starts, I just feel that their minutes should be close to equal this season.

agreed

Theis provides very little on offense. He is just a so so passer.  He is an unwilling shooter unless wide open.  Decent but not good finisher on the PNR.   Decent but not good or lob target for alleys over defenders.   

On offense the main thing he does is set picks/screens.   

The team can do better.  Theis was a bandaid solution to Horford walking away from the team.   

I'm not a big fan of Turner, but at least he can shoot.  I rather have him start than Theis. 

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2020, 01:19:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Hayward leaving for nothing is probably worst case scenario for this offseason.

I agree, but the point is that even in that worse case scenario the team is still very good and has options to improve.

People need to get away from the asset mentality and recall what the team has done on the court recently, and who has contributed to that.

I guarantee you that fans and executives of 20+ other teams would love to be where the Celtics are, even if Hayward leaves for nothing. 

And for those who are complaining about Danny Ainge, consider that it is through Danny's careful and shrewd construction of this team that the Celtics are in a very good position even if a very bad thing happens, i.e. Hayward leaving for nothing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2020, 02:19:05 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I’d gladly replace Waters with an updraft Ed Markus Howard. He’s a crazy good shooter and would hit open shots unlike Waters.

Oh, Denver put Howard on a 2way contract after the draft.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:30:19 PM by liam »

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2020, 02:41:41 PM »

Offline Lioney

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
Hopes;

D.Rose - Trade (Kanter?)
Bertans - FA
Ibaka - FA
P. Patterson - FA
H.Giles- FA

Kemba-Rose
Brown-Smart
Bertans-G. Will
Tatum-Ibaka
R. Will-Theis

(Pritchard-Langford-Nesmith-Patterson-Giles)

Closer; Kemba-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Ibaka

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ha, I knew I was forgetting people in my rotation! Going to swap trading Hayward for Turner & Doug McBuckets with Capela instead (assuming he can’t be persuaded to stay). I guess there’s no Boogie time :(

Kemba Walker / Payton Pritchard / Tremont Waters
Marcus Smart / Romeo Langford / Carsen Edwards
Jaylen Brown / Alec Burks / Aaron Nesmith
Jayson Tatum / Grant Williams / Ersan Ilyasova
Clint Capela / Daniel Theis / Robert Williams

With the injury-prone nature of Romeo and Alec Burks there’d be no shortage of time for Nesmith
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)