Author Topic: Celtics (8-4) at 76ers (9-5) Game #13 1/20/21  (Read 23097 times)

Re: Celtics (8-4) at 76ers (9-5) Game #13 1/20/21
« Reply #345 on: January 21, 2021, 12:37:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
My biggest takeaway from yesterday is that this Sixers team is legit and I think they are not like those playoff teams we've beaten over the past few years. Dwight Howard off the bench is a problem for us, and the Seth Curry + Danny Green additions make the Sixers really good.

Basically, Horford was garbage in last year's playoffs. Now they have Dwight Howard who I feel can make an impact and help when Embiid sits. And Green + Curry remind me of back in 2018 when they had Illyasova, Reddick, etc. who were great perimeter shooters and streaky at times off the bench.

And of course, it's Doc Rivers. Not Brett Brown.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #346 on: January 21, 2021, 01:50:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
My biggest takeaway from yesterday is that this Sixers team is legit and I think they are not like those playoff teams we've beaten over the past few years. Dwight Howard off the bench is a problem for us, and the Seth Curry + Danny Green additions make the Sixers really good.

Basically, Horford was garbage in last year's playoffs. Now they have Dwight Howard who I feel can make an impact and help when Embiid sits. And Green + Curry remind me of back in 2018 when they had Illyasova, Reddick, etc. who were great perimeter shooters and streaky at times off the bench.

I think they're definitely better than last year with better fitting pieces.  I still think we can beat them if each team is healthy but they now have better shooters and Howard is a very good pickup for them.  We definitely need a better plan for dealing with Embiid --> way too many FTs given to him.  a lot of bogus calls so some of that gameplan very well may need to include working the refs pregame and during the game to get a fairer whistle.

« Reply #347 on: January 21, 2021, 01:53:07 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Every Doc Rivers Clipper team fell apart in the playoffs. Part of the reason for that is because his whining doesn't get them the calls it does during the regular season.

He seems to have helped the chemistry problems and earned the respect of Embiid, but they are the same Sixers they have always been.

« Reply #348 on: January 21, 2021, 01:55:05 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I think they're definitely better than last year with better fitting pieces.  I still think we can beat them if each team is healthy but they now have better shooters and Howard is a very good pickup for them.  We definitely need a better plan for dealing with Embiid --> way too many FTs given to him.  a lot of bogus calls so some of that gameplan very well may need to include working the refs pregame and during the game to get a fairer whistle.

What I noticed is that their defense was playing really well and cohesive. The same applies for their offense. When we put pressure on a player, they did a great job of swinging the ball for an open shot. They seem to be a really tough team. If they get stuck into the Embiid show where he's doing everything and gets tired by the 4th quarter, we'll be okay. However, if they play that team offense and hustle defense, we'll be in trouble.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #349 on: January 21, 2021, 01:58:50 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
Just watched the match there now (was played during sleepy time on the Emerald Isle). I thought a lot more of the performance than I did against the Knicks. Obviously I'm something of a basketball novice so I stand to be corrected but I generally don't have a problem with my team losing in any sport as long as they put in a reasonable account of themselves. The other team is trying as hard to win and losing is as much part of the game as victories. I felt Philadelphia had the edge as the scoreline proved but I don't think there is reason to be too disappointed. Marcus Smart and Jaylen played well in my opinion and Kemba Walker was a lot better than against the Knicks. The season is a marathon not a sprint.

« Reply #350 on: January 21, 2021, 02:04:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just watched the match there now (was played during sleepy time on the Emerald Isle). I thought a lot more of the performance than I did against the Knicks. Obviously I'm something of a basketball novice so I stand to be corrected but I generally don't have a problem with my team losing in any sport as long as they put in a reasonable account of themselves. The other team is trying as hard to win and losing is as much part of the game as victories. I felt Philadelphia had the edge as the scoreline proved but I don't think there is reason to be too disappointed. Marcus Smart and Jaylen played well in my opinion and Kemba Walker was a lot better than against the Knicks. The season is a marathon not a sprint.
Since you are new to basketball know, it is called a game, not a match. I know they use "match" for soccer/football outside the USA, but basketball has games.

Just a FYI, no biggie. 

« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2021, 02:10:57 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
They defintiely are a better team than last year, but the good news is that Simmons-Embid duo still don't seem to work well. Embid seems more mature, strong minded - we will see when difficultys will come-and better choices (but he always hurted us and make his dominant match), Doc is a better coach than Brooks of course who maybe match well with Embid mentality.
But if Danny Green, Dwight Howard and Seth Curry give them a little improvement in comparaison of last year depth, they are still depth players with age -for the 2 first- and skills -for all of them- limiations. Shake Milton may be the real changer in their bench production. But I still prefer our chances than them.

« Reply #352 on: January 21, 2021, 02:20:03 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
Since you are new to basketball know, it is called a game, not a match. I know they use "match" for soccer/football outside the USA, but basketball has games.

Just a FYI, no biggie.

That's interesting, thanks. TP.

In Europe everything where two people/teams compete (to my knowledge there aren't any exceptions) is called a match. Soccer (football), rugby, hurling, cricket, darts, tennis, even basketball. I wonder is it a European English v American English thing. You can say game here too (apart from in tennis where it means something different) but it sounds stilted.

« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2021, 08:04:53 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Kemba looking good at least
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2021, 10:26:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Just a FYI, no biggie.

That's interesting, thanks. TP.

In Europe everything where two people/teams compete (to my knowledge there aren't any exceptions) is called a match. Soccer (football), rugby, hurling, cricket, darts, tennis, even basketball. I wonder is it a European English v American English thing. You can say game here too (apart from in tennis where it means something different) but it sounds stilted.

Tonight wasn’t a match.

It was a mismatch.

« Reply #355 on: January 22, 2021, 10:41:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Rebounding was very bad.32-45  Grant Williams, Theis and Thompson combined for 8 rebounds, Jaylen had 9.