Author Topic: It's only preseason but how far down the ladder has Courtney Lee gone?  (Read 5485 times)

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
So last season in the playoffs Courtney Lee was relegated to scrub minutes (9 a game!) by Doc.  This preseason I and others considered a double guard, no true point, backcourt of Lee and Bradley. 
Different coach, different system however his uneven/not good preseason has me wondering.  Lee is not a starter as of now.  Is he first guard off the bench anymore??  You can easily argue pressey and crawford outplayed him.   Lee still works nice on the defensive end but his shot seems to be far to up and down. 
At times last year when his offensive game was good he was a great plus to have on team.  Defensive minded combo guard who could give quality minutes.  The starting five topic going I don't remember anyone putting Lee as a starter.
Has he played himself into a trade chip?  His contract might pan out to be more than he is worth unless his game steps up

Re: It's only preseason but how far down the ladder has Courtney Lee gone?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
not far enough

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Maybe Lee seizes an opportunity early this season to be a starting guard or first off the bench.

I have to believe that he'll a) jump ahead of others thanks to his defense and b) be showcased as a potential trade chip.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:05:27 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
not far enough

Pretty much agree.

He had a game where he impressed me with his passing but otherwise this guy is really a non factor out there.

The only guard he should be ahead of is Brooks (who shouldn't play).
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 08:06:52 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I have almost no doubt that Courtney Lee will be getting the second most guard minutes behind Avery Bradley to start the season. 

I don't see any of Pressey, Crawford, or Brooks getting more minutes than either of those two. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I have almost no doubt that Courtney Lee will be getting the second most guard minutes behind Avery Bradley to start the season. 

I don't see any of Pressey, Crawford, or Brooks getting more minutes than either of those two.
I would like to think he would, brooks is not a nba player, crawford is turning into last year's version which I can't stand and pressey is a short rookie.  Maybe its just new coach, lots of new players to look at and no true system (apparently) set into place.  I like the defensive trio of bradley lee and rondo but lee really seemed to under perform or be invisible during just about every preseason game.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 08:32:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Realistically I don't think any of these guys have done much to separate themselves. If I really had to say who was the best surprise I might go with Pressey. I miggghhhtt pick Brooks just because he was 2nd team all rookie not very long ago.  But that was then and this is now. I have no idea how practice goes for these guys. That's right. I'm talkin bout practice.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 09:49:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd say he's in line for primary backup minutes at SG
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 04:04:55 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
By default he will play a bunch of minutes this season if healthy. He and Avery Bradley will play the bulk until Rondo comes back.

If we see Keith Bogans playing ahead of him, he is toast.

We will not see Brooks ahead of him, but we could see Crawford if it is decided we dont have enough offense from he and Bradley.

Either of those would be desparation moves IMO.

Look for several new guards in training camp next year is my guess.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
not far enough

Pretty much agree.

He had a game where he impressed me with his passing but otherwise this guy is really a non factor out there.

The only guard he should be ahead of is Brooks (who shouldn't play).

I never imagined him losing out to Crawford, and yet here we are.  Bogans is better too, but an injured player on an expiring contract won't seem much time, so Lee is perhaps ahead of Bogans.

4 guard rotation includes him by default, along with Bradley and Crawford and Pressey. 

When Rondo comes back, who loses out more?  It might be up to Crawford to send Lee to the bench.

Heaven help us...

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 04:31:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Lee is a classic role player that needs a role or else he looks horrible.  Put most any role player on a bad team that asks them to step out of their comfort zone, and they will look bad.  He is suffering the same way Bradley is, and Bass.  These are guys that need to be on good teams to look good. 

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 05:18:28 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Lee is a classic role player that needs a role or else he looks horrible.  Put most any role player on a bad team that asks them to step out of their comfort zone, and they will look bad.  He is suffering the same way Bradley is, and Bass.  These are guys that need to be on good teams to look good.

3 and D guy, who occasionally can slash (w/o ball).

He'll look good if he knows what he's supposed to do if the ball comes (like, chuck an open corner 3).

We need to get a handle on who the ball handlers and passers are, and work through them.  Too many guys have auditioned for that role in the preseason that simply aren't up to it (hi, Avery).

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Pressey plays like a point man should,  he a a ways to go no doubt,  we are omparing him to Rondo.  Lee just doesn't seem to fit into this version of the Celtics.......I like Lee ,  good guy and defense ,  but way to much a role type player.  Pressey seems to fit in to flow no matter who they throw I'm out there with.   

I see big minutes for Pressey  with Rondo out..   AB  is just not enough of a floor general , to start th offense in Hal court lie it necs to run.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 06:27:58 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Every time I see threads on Lee, people always mention his defence and 3pt shooting. Well, I watch Lee and aside from that small stretch where he started with AB he has looked terrible on D, the stats must say differently for that most people seem to think he is so good at it. I just don't get it, when I see Lee out there on BOTH ends I cringe. Some days he can get hot on offense and his S gets better as a result but for the most part, I can't with him! He stinks at shooting but did get better about midway point of last season. I swear, at times the guy looks as if he is a second round rookie out there! Do during preseason he beats plays solid against all of the other team's scrubs and people think he played well... he played okay against guys who will not even make their teams. I was still watching the games asking where was the guy we thought we were getting in the trade. You're probably saying the other guys everyone is so high on we're playing the scrubs too, you're right, difference is they are rookies! Lee should be starting but isn't good enough to beat out Pressey or anyone else except Brooks who never plays (thank God...that D 😳). I don't hate Lee, it just makes me mad when people talk about giving AB 3m a yr when Lee makes 5 and he supposedly took LESS than others were offering him! I know you'll say, "yes, he's overpayed!" Well if he could get more than 5 b4 coming here, I would have taken AB over him any day even then. I don't think I touched on the 3 side but it's been garbage... don't tell me about preseason, he better show up when the real games start and he isn't playing the scrubs! He deserves PT, but only 10mins or so, lol he probably wouldn't have gotten the time he did in the preseason had Bogans not been injured and Brooks wasn't one of the worst defenders I have seen! I'm HOPING Lee turns it around but preseason didn't make me feel any better about his chances.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 07:11:53 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
Yeah, Courtney peaked his rookie year. I doubt he ever shoots 3's at 40% ever again. My opinion is that he's a good 4th guard to have but nothing more and not worth the contract he got.