Author Topic: For those of you who complain about Rondo  (Read 10119 times)

Re: For those of you who complain about Rondo
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 10:17:19 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
OK, here is my problem.  Why do we need to compare Rondo against the horrendous PGs we have seen in the past?  He is supposed to be the future of the franchise, and the next great player.  So, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting him to become a more complete player, as he will need to continue to improve if he really is going to lead this team going forward.

Furthermore, what is the point of posting on a website like this, if we can't nitpick?  It is a very select few who are going over the top.  Most of us are just analyzing his game, and looking for ways that we would like to see improvements for him to go to the next level.  Why is that so wrong?  Personally, I find it a much more interesting conversation than discussing Lebron's ego or something else that really has less influence on the team I love.

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 10:18:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think people can be critical of aspects of Rondo's game.

However, its baffling to me how far some people on here take it and the cries to trade him are extreme, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 10:18:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
OK, here is my problem.  Why do we need to compare Rondo against the horrendous PGs we have seen in the past?  He is supposed to be the future of the franchise, and the next great player.  So, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting him to become a more complete player, as he will need to continue to improve if he really is going to lead this team going forward.

Furthermore, what is the point of posting on a website like this, if we can't nitpick?  It is a very select few who are going over the top.  Most of us are just analyzing his game, and looking for ways that we would like to see improvements for him to go to the next level.  Why is that so wrong?  Personally, I find it a much more interesting conversation than discussing Lebron's ego or something else that really has less influence on the team I love.

We could always talk about Rondo's pony-tail.

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 10:20:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I think people can be critical of aspects of Rondo's game.

However, its baffling to me how far some people on here take it and the cries to trade him are extreme, IMO.

This I agree with.  Although I think the cries to trade him are no more extreme than suggestions that he is beyond reproach.  He has flaws, and we have every right to pick them apart and discuss them, just like with any other player.  If we can't do that in a rational way, without being shouted down, then I think its a problem.

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 10:24:37 AM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
Of course fans are going to complain! That’s what fans do! So I’m not sure I understand the outrage. Rondo has flaws, every player does. Fans have a right to point those imperfections out. Perhaps we can be too critical, perhaps too emotional, and perhaps a tad bit hysterical but it comes with the territory. Yes, he’s one heck of PG but he still has glaring weaknesses, they ought to be discussed.

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
Cousy a pretty good PG in the day likes Rondo.

“I’ve been saying since probably the first year that it seems to me he touches all the bases for a point guard,” said the Cooz. “If there is a negative - and I don’t know how much of a negative it is - he seems to be insecure about his shooting. But, hell, the guy’s shooting almost 52 percent. How much better could he be if he looked for his shot all the time? But that’s not the function of a point guard.

“Everything else is there. He rebounds much taller than he is. He’s a tough, tough defender. And he creates well. He adds a little something, so he’s obviously getting more confident with the moves and the imagination that he shows. As far as I’m concerned, he’s their most valuable player this year.”

“I like the way he uses the bounce pass,’’ says Cousy, whose team record for assists in a season (715 in 1959-60) was broken by Rondo this year (794). “That was my favorite pass, especially internally. He’s developed that behind-the-back stuff that I used to do. He does it much more effectively than I used to. He cups it, brings it all the way behind him, and the defenders fall off because they’re sure he’s going to pass it, and he still pulls it back.

“He’s a much stronger penetrator. I didn’t get off the ground too often. I always felt I was very vulnerable if I left my feet going into the monsters, so I was a little more careful than he is.’’
Any other similarities, Cooz?

“I had big hands,’’ he starts. “Arnold’’ — Cousy always called Red Auerbach “Arnold’’ — “said that the reason I could do so much behind-the-back crap was that I had long arms. I’ve measured my hands against most people. I still do it today. Most normal people, I dwarf their hands. I’ve heard them talk about how big Rondo’s hands are, so I guess we share that. And obviously that’s a great

Tommy likes him too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeVxBuY4hGc

Hmmm, two hall of famers opinions versus Rondo 's naysayers I have to say that is a wash in favor of Rondo.  Bottom line is this kid has more basketball IQ than most do on the board.  Some people will never be happy.  He isn't perfect, his shot is suspect but without him we'd not got past Orlando or CLE last year as he carried through a few games.

Rondo catches too much grief (from myself included) b/c you want to see his best decision making and effort all of the time. We do have to be more realistic with a 24 year old player.

I find it interesting that all of a sudden Tommy's opinion (and for that matter any former players) counts for something.

When Tommy or any other former celtic says PP is the greatest scorer in Celt's history this board explodes with venom! ha

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
As I said in another thread, I think Rondo is becoming a pretty consistent player - this season, he's been as consistent as he's ever been. Yes, the Milwaukee game wasn't his best of the season, but all players have off nights and Rondo's not immune to that.

I think he's "spoiled us with his play" - everyone expects 15+ assists and a near triple double every game. An All-Star 2 years in a row - leading the league in assists this season, in the top 2 in steals, yet he still struggles to get support & respect from some of his own fans...
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
As I said in another thread, I think Rondo is becoming a pretty consistent player - this season, he's been as consistent as he's ever been. Yes, the Milwaukee game wasn't his best of the season, but all players have off nights and Rondo's not immune to that.

I think he's "spoiled us with his play" - everyone expects 15+ assists and a near triple double every game. An All-Star 2 years in a row - leading the league in assists this season, in the top 2 in steals, yet he still struggles to get support & respect from some of his own fans...

Agreed, especially with the first paragraph.

I understand people want to point out Rondo's flaws, which is fine...he's still developing his game. But for people to still say that he only brings his "A" game against good opponents (like CP3, Rose) is just plain wrong. Either they haven't been watching this season, or just choose to ignore his other great games.

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
When you're on a title contender you recieve a lot more praise and a lot more scrutiny than on other teams. Just because Rondo is good, doesn't mean that we aren't going to break down his game here.

I'll also add that the idea that because you criticize a plyer, that means you don't appreciate said player is wrong. Same thing with the idea that Cetlic's fans don't respect his game, because they point out his flaws.

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 11:10:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't think this is true at all. I think Rondo gets plenty of credit, we had a stretch where a new thread celebrating him appeared every time he hit a jumper in a big spot.

Expectations are high, because he is an all star, but KG/Pierce/Ray/Davis all get called out in similar fashions when they player poorly.

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't think this is true at all. I think Rondo gets plenty of credit, we had a stretch where a new thread celebrating him appeared every time he hit a jumper in a big spot.

Expectations are high, because he is an all star, but KG/Pierce/Ray/Davis all get called out in similar fashions when they player poorly.

Rondo & Davis have been much bigger whipping boys than the Big Three. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

They also have much bigger holes in their games than the Big 3 at this point in their careers. 

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yes and no, they're bigger whipping boys now. But a few years ago that wasn't the case as their expectations weren't as high for Davis/Rondo.

When you've been a high level player for a long period of time fans tend to give you more benefit of the doubt. (Especially in the case of Pierce)

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't think the Big 3 get half as much criticism as other players when they have bad games. I guess that's expected considering they're Hall of Famers.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I see a new thread on why Rondo should be traded every other day or flat out criticizing him. Just off the top of my head, I've seen a "We should've traded Rondo for Deron Williams instead of NJ", "DA Traded with wrong member of the starting 5!", "Rondo's Work Ethic isn't good", "If Rondo keeps playing like this, we need to trade him!" threads in just the past two weeks.

Is he untouchable? Absolutely not. But I just think fans are quick to turn on him more than they are any other player (maybe with the exception of Glen Davis).
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I don't think the Big 3 get half as much criticism as other players when they have bad games. I guess that's expected considering they're Hall of Famers.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I see a new thread on why Rondo should be traded every other day or flat out criticizing him. Just off the top of my head, I've seen a "We should've traded Rondo for Deron Williams instead of NJ", "DA Traded with wrong member of the starting 5!", "Rondo's Work Ethic isn't good", "If Rondo keeps playing like this, we need to trade him!" threads in just the past two weeks.
We also get threads praising Rondo when he hits a transition jumper, Rondo gets it both ways.