Author Topic: Minor Things about the game  (Read 4098 times)

Minor Things about the game
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
1. the best box out of the season happened last night.  Free throw, davis boxed out side show bob and the ball hit the floor.  A great box out that has been missing.
2. We outrebounded them, kg had 10, key to winning
3. KG is looking better!
4. Doc Rivers did a very good job coaching, loved the quick time out to get his point accross and wake the team up
5. refs are horrible, should be investigated, if this was FIFA they would be fired (or attacked)
6. Lebron might be hurting but I think it was more good defense, when he was hitting shots during the cavs run he was slapping hands pretty good with the "bad" elbow

Re: Minor Things about the game
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:57:44 AM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
Besides the defensive game plan (which was Tibideau's) Doc's coaching, I thought, wasn't good.  He did nothing to change the way we were playing during Clevelands run.  Calling a timeout and yelling isn't good enough.

When Cleveland went on their run, we should have planted Rasheed on the block, and gave him a constant stream of post ups.  These are good, high percentage shots, that have our team in good defensive transition position.

These post up possession slow the pace of the game down.  When we jack long jumpers, and drive into clogged lanes for turnovers, these speed the pace of the game up.

The other major issue of last night was Pierce.  I love the guy, but he has got to wake up and give us something.  It's clear that while Rondo is our best player, he can't be relied on down the stretch.  We need the ability to score one on one, and in my opinion, Pierce still has to be that guy.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I was disappointed with eh 4th quarter offensive game plan.  They went away from Rondo driving and facilitating the offense.  Noted by Rondos 19 assists in 3 quarters and ending the game with 19 assists...

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I was disappointed with eh 4th quarter offensive game plan.  They went away from Rondo driving and facilitating the offense.  Noted by Rondos 19 assists in 3 quarters and ending the game with 19 assists...
KG missed a bunny that could have been number 20.

I think Rondo was tired, and the Cavs stepped up their defensive effort.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Key to winning any championship is rebounding and defense. Those things sealed the deal last night.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:19:19 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
the best box out was when Dick Bavetta got between Perk and Varejao
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
the best box out was when Dick Bavetta got between Perk and Varejao
He saved Sideshow's life.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Besides the defensive game plan (which was Tibideau's) Doc's coaching, I thought, wasn't good.  He did nothing to change the way we were playing during Clevelands run.  Calling a timeout and yelling isn't good enough.

I don't necessarily agree with this. The team on the floor was more than capable of playing with more focus and executing their offense instead of trying to milk 20+ seconds off the clock each possession. If Doc can get them to stop the runs on their own then maybe the runs won't get so bad to begin with. The problem wasn't Doc having the wrong personnel on the floor or needing to make any kind of adjustments, it was a need for the team to be more aggressive on both ends of the floor.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 10:27:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I don't necessarily agree with this. The team on the floor was more than capable of playing with more focus and executing their offense instead of trying to milk 20+ seconds off the clock each possession. If Doc can get them to stop the runs on their own then maybe the runs won't get so bad to begin with. The problem wasn't Doc having the wrong personnel on the floor or needing to make any kind of adjustments, it was a need for the team to be more aggressive on both ends of the floor.
He called two quick time outs and screamed at the team, which is pretty much all I can ask for the coach to do when his team is clearly playing the clock instead of the game.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He called two quick time outs and screamed at the team, which is pretty much all I can ask for the coach to do when his team is clearly playing the clock instead of the game.

I didn't like Doc putting Rondo and KG in with 10:30 to go in the 4th and a big lead - they were the most likely to tire down the stretch and Cleveland hadn't yet shown any signs of making a run.  That could've waited til the under 9 or until the Cavs started making a dent against the subs.

But his timeouts, especially the second one, were timed very well and actually had an effect on the team's intensity.  And the game plan on offense was pretty darn good too, which I doubt Thibodeau had much to do with.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I didn't like Doc putting Rondo and KG in with 10:30 to go in the 4th and a big lead - they were the most likely to tire down the stretch and Cleveland hadn't yet shown any signs of making a run.  That could've waited til the under 9 or until the Cavs started making a dent against the subs.

But his timeouts, especially the second one, were timed very well and actually had an effect on the team's intensity.  And the game plan on offense was pretty darn good too, which I doubt Thibodeau had much to do with.
I liked him going with KG and Rondo early, we have three days to rest, and it was time to go for the throat.

If the starters started playing the clock can you imagine what the bench would have done?

Post-mortem after Game 2
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I gave some thoughts after the first game in this series ( http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=37202.0 ), so here's what I'm thinking after last night:

*The "bad, awful, burns in my guts" loss in game 1 doesn't sting quite as much now.  It still hurts because this team could have it's foot on the Cavs' neck right now, but you can't cry over spilt milk forever.  I'll take the split and keep it moving.

*More than the split, the fact that the Celtics recovered from what could have been a pretty devastating loss and came back even harder the next game showed me a lot.  That's what champions do.

*This long layoff before game 3 could be a blessing or a curse.  It SHOULD be a blessing, as it allows our older players to be completely physically recovered.  It's only a curse if the team relaxes a bit, starts feeling like they got this thing, and then they come out flat in game 3.  I don't think that'll happen, but I hope that Doc and the team leaders hammer on that point all week.  This series is only 1-1, all it takes is one bad game and the Cavs are back in the driver's seat.

* The Rondo/Williams matchup looks like a weather vane for the series.  Rondo is obviously the better player, and has to do more for this team than Mo does for the Cavs.  But I don't think it's coincidence that in the 3 halves that Rondo dominated Mo the Celtics have won, but in the one half where Mo got hot it was enough to boost Cleveland over the top.  Rondo has to continue to dominate this matchup to keep our foots firmly on their necks.

*THAT was what I was talking about from Pierce in my previous comments.  His numbers from game 2 look a lot like game 1, and I think those are what we can generally expect from him in the series (~15 points, < 40% FG, similar # TOs to assists) outside of the 1 or 2 games when he'll almost inevitably explode.  But to me, the difference between game 2 and game 1 is that in game 2 Pierce wasn't the focal point of the offense.  The team started to go that route during their 4th Q drought, but for the most part Rondo, Ray and KG had the keys on offense and Pierce was able to concentrate more on just keeping LeBron in check.  Then late, when the team needed a bucket, Pierce was able to score some key points and make some key passes.  That's what we need from him...make LeBron work, keep the game honest, pick your spots to make key contributions. 

*Along with Rondo, the biggest difference between what the Cavs saw from us in '08 and what they're seeing this year has been Ray Allen.  Allen, for obvious personal reasons, was not at his best in 2008.  In 2010 he is knocking down his shots and giving the Cs another offensive dimension that the Cavs can't really game-plan for.  You can game-plan against Rondo, or against KG, or against Pierce, or against Allen.  But if all 4 are doing their part, the Cavs can't game-plan against that.  Really, no one can.

*One of the most important aspects of what I just wrote is that Allen and Rondo are the only ones producing at a noticably different clip than 2008.  This is key, because it means that KG is producing at about the same level as he did in 2008.  His interior aggressiveness on offense has been vital, as it creates a second mismatch to exploit. 

Also, one other thing to consider, Garnett is averaging 18 and 10 but has made only 17-of-41 shots from the field.  I don't want to derail this into a ref complaint thread, but I think I'm being reasonable to say that 5 of those missed shot attempts could very easily have been 2-shot fouls.  If you do that and he makes 8 of 10, you're looking at a KG averaging 22 and 10 through the first 2 games without any change in how he has actually played.  Just something to think about.

Conclusion: All in all, I like what I've seen in the first two games.  The Celtics have clearly been the better team, but even though they lost a game that they should have won they accomplished the main goals: take home court, prove they can beat the Cavs, establish the things that they want to do in this series.  This has been the Celtics team that I expected to see against the Cavs, and so far the results also are about what I've expected.  Let's hope that the squad returns home starving to sweep the two games at home to really get a choke hold on this series.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:07 AM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77

I disagree.  The starters looked really tired during Cleveland's 15-0 run.  Even though Pierce and KG got some rest in the first half, they both played almost the whole second half (save 3-4 minutes), and they were dragging.  So were Ray and Rondo.  They were just waving at the Cavs going by them.  It wasn't just loss of focus, it was loss of legs.

The size of the lead going into the fourth quarter is what won the game for us.  The Cavs shot their load, and on most nights it would have resulted in another come from behind win (against us). 

So, I'll say what I've said before:  the big three should play shorter shifts in the second half, regardless of how many minutes they play in the first half.  Instead of 10 minute stretches, I'd give them 2 minute breaks after every 6 minute run.  It's like they can run a great 40 yard dash, but fade in the 100 yard dash.  Keep them running 40 yard dashes and we avoid the fades.

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 11:06:01 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
TP...you made a lot of great points.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Before the series started, I mentioned that Mo was the one that scared me the most, and also mentioned that I was worried of Rondo's minutes making him want to take some plays off. We saw the result of that in the 1st game when Rondo didn't keep his defensive intensity. For the most part he kept it in the 2nd game which was huge. A few times I thought he got lazy with Mo, but thankfully his shots didn't fall.

Can't put too much blame on Rondo for doing this, it's the cost of having him playing as much as we need him too, but it can be costly.

So let's keep it up, keep the energy up, and let's not let Mo get easy buckets or open jump shots.