Author Topic: I think Tony has earned the playoff rotation!  (Read 15106 times)

Re: I think Tony has earned the playoff rotation!
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 08:31:23 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
With shortened rotations I don't mind TA at the point at all. Problem is when you field full on bench units. But this time at least he has the luxury of initiating the offense by dumping it to Sheed if needed be.

The question is, should the rotations be staggered in the playoffs to always have 2 starters on the court at a time? I honestly don't know. The starters perform so well as a unit and goes downhill very fast with just one replacement. Statistically our starting 5 is the most impressive in the league so I'd question if going with hockey type subs might be the way to go with our situation.

Yes, pretty much. Rondo will surely play a lot of minutes, so that's something you need to consider as TA backing him up. So you should always have 2 players from Rondo, Ray, Pierce, and Garnett. And if that isn't possible always, make those moments very limited.

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I want TA in the rotation, but it's kinda like Doc is setting TA up for failure by making him play some pg when he is playing well at the wing. I would have left Nate in there instead of Finley, but Doc prefers size to athleticism.

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Think we'll probably go with a 9 man rotation with Daniels and Nate on the outside looking in.

Bigs: KG, Perk, Sheed, and Baby. With Davis seeing the fewest of the minutes.

Wings/PG's: Pierce, RA, Rondo, TA, and Finley. TA and Finley are basically ying/yang in terms of shooting, basketball IQ, athleticism, slashing, etc., but that's good in the way they complement each others game and skill set.

Calling TA our backup PG is not going to be how a true definition. While he might indeed bring the ball up on occasion, the offense will be facilitated, in half court sets, through Pierce and RA.

It would be in the C's best interest if Finley did not beat out Nate for a spot in the rotation.  The current talent disparity between the two is immense, even if Nate's had more difficulty integrating himself into the C's offense.

The only reason Nate isn't playing is because of matchups. You can't get caught behind picks guarding Mo. That's what got them the lead last time.

Nate has the potential to give a lot more on offense than he gives up on defense.  Finley has to go bananas from the field to make up for the fact that he's an immense defensive liability.

Today's rotation was perfect, except in the 4th qtr when I think Doc should have played the bench for the first part of it to let the starters rest more. TA is proving to be magnificent.

I agree.  There was scenario that closely mirrored one in the previous Cavs game when LeBron skied to grab a rebound over the back of a Celtic: he got it easily over Daniels; TA rose up and got it.

TA is obviously a high-risk player, but with decline in 4 of our major rotation guys (Big 3 + Sheed) high-risk/high-impact is much preferable to low-risk/low-impact guys.  TA's sort of a defensive version of JR Smith for us.

I actually think that's a fairly good comparison. TP, now you're 2 off 100. Obviously though, Tony won't outright win or lose games for us like JR might.

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
TA definetely has earned his spot and it is over Marquis.  He has been a big disappointment.  The decision between Nate and Finley is a little tighter but I agree that Finley should play.  Nate HAS become Eddie House for some reason and I am disappointed that he isn't breaking people down more often.  If all Nate is going to be is a spot up shooter, then Finley can do that better and he is bigger.

But yeah, TA at PG can be nerve racking.  But unlike House, TA can bring the ball over with little trouble.  The problem is what happens next.

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 01:09:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tony's going for the LeBron head fake and gifting him three shots and his brain freeze move of trying to go for a rebound while the ball is on the way down towards to rim, are exactly the reasons why he should NOT be a part of the playoff rotation.

When Nate's ankle heals up, and yes I am convinced that is the reason for his lack of play, then Tony should see bench in the playoffs because his dumb play cost this team 5 points on two plays. It's ridiculous!!!!

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2010, 01:11:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Just in case people were wondering I think the Playoff Nine will be the starters, Rasheed, Davis, Finley and Robinson. That is this teams best nine players.

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2010, 01:16:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, I think there is still plenty of time before the playoffs for Tony to revert to his inconsistent ways, but right now, he has the inside shot as the slashing/defending wing off the bench.

Ultimately though, I expect the bench to be used by committee through the playoffs.  Particulary Tony, Nate, and Daniels.  Depending on matchups, and what is needed at a particular time...not to mention who is hot at the time...any of those three should be seeing time in any particular series/game.

I think of the perimeter guys off the bench, the one most firmly in the rotation is Finley.  I don't think he will see a ton of minutes each game, but I think he will be consistently out there, because they really need his shooting.

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2010, 01:42:32 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Well, I think there is still plenty of time before the playoffs for Tony to revert to his inconsistent ways, but right now, he has the inside shot as the slashing/defending wing off the bench.

Ultimately though, I expect the bench to be used by committee through the playoffs.  Particulary Tony, Nate, and Daniels.  Depending on matchups, and what is needed at a particular time...not to mention who is hot at the time...any of those three should be seeing time in any particular series/game.

I think of the perimeter guys off the bench, the one most firmly in the rotation is Finley.  I don't think he will see a ton of minutes each game, but I think he will be consistently out there, because they really need his shooting.
I agree with all of that.  TA will get the minutes unless he starts the Jeckyl and Hyde stuff.  Robinson and Daniels (and maybe Sheldon) will see spot minutes depending on matchups and foul trouble.

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2010, 01:44:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree with all of that.  TA will get the minutes unless he starts the Jeckyl and Hyde stuff.  Robinson and Daniels (and maybe Sheldon) will see spot minutes depending on matchups and foul trouble.

Yup, I forgot about Shelden, but he will be used as well.  In fact, even Scal could see some time if they end up playing the Magic.  He has seen some success against Lewis before, and since they are very short on perimeter defenders big enough to handle him, he might get to dress a couple times, and see some spot minutes against a matchup like that.

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 01:48:43 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Tony's going for the LeBron head fake and gifting him three shots and his brain freeze move of trying to go for a rebound while the ball is on the way down towards to rim, are exactly the reasons why he should NOT be a part of the playoff rotation.

When Nate's ankle heals up, and yes I am convinced that is the reason for his lack of play, then Tony should see bench in the playoffs because his dumb play cost this team 5 points on two plays. It's ridiculous!!!!
Don't really agree.  First, the the refs blew the goal tending call.  I saw exactly what happened with the play happened live and it was confirmed in the replay.  He was dumb enough to jump for the ball that was short of the rim but he wasn't dumb enough touch it before it hit the rim.  Let's at least make that distinction.

As far the the Lebron pump fake, it happens (while I agree it happens to TA more often than it should).  But even that call was a bit sketchy. 

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 01:52:30 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119

How about the much needed perimeter defense, rebounding, and overall hustle that Tony brings on a nightly basis, skills this team badly needs?  Aren't those skills more important than two isolated plays?  With our lack of perimeter defense, and lack of effort in certain parts of the game, we need what Tony brings.  He's totally bought into his role as a defensive stopper and he's become our best defender.

As for those plays, one was flatout the wrong call, and the other was highly questionable, as TA had already come back to the ground and Lebron basically initiated contact with a stationary, floor-bound player. 

Nate's ankle's fine--he's just been mismanaged by Doc and completely lost his confidence.  Don't expect him to magically recover it either, though I do expect Doc to turn to him again when he's deseperate. 

The real injury that nobody's talking about is to Daniels' hand.  That thumb is still hurtin him, which is why he's been ineffective and tentative.  He's still taping it and it's got to be at the root of his problems.  If he was healthy, he would have had a spot in the rotation. 

But, no, TA's in the rotation, barring disadvantageous matchups come playoff time.  He's been the bench's most consistent player and he's doing exactly what Doc asks of him and the skills he brings to the table every night are exactly the skills this team otherwise lacks (hustling perimeter defense).
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Don't really agree.  First, the the refs blew the goal tending call.  I saw exactly what happened with the play happened live and it was confirmed in the replay.  He was dumb enough to jump for the ball that was short of the rim but he wasn't dumb enough touch it before it hit the rim.  Let's at least make that distinction.

As far the the Lebron pump fake, it happens (while I agree it happens to TA more often than it should).  But even that call was a bit sketchy. 
Honestly, people keep talking about TA not touching the ball before it hit the rim, but look at his left hand, I'm pretty sure it hit the rim which would in fact be goal tending.

Either way, you don't jump that early and go for the ball, it was a dumb play that cost the team three points. And that's Tony's problem. All body no brain(basketball wise). And it is too much of a risk to use him consistently in the playoffs.

So Tony fans I think you will see Doc have Tony on a very short string and once he messes up with just another dumb play, he will see pine for a good long time, just like the last two post seasons.

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 02:08:13 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119

Honestly, people keep talking about TA not touching the ball before it hit the rim, but look at his left hand, I'm pretty sure it hit the rim which would in fact be goal tending.

Look again, Nick.  TA jumped early because he thought it was going to be short, waited for the ball to hit the rim (it did), and then reached out and grabbed the richochet after the ball cleared the cylinder.  That's not a goaltend.  After securing the ball with his right, his left hand did touch the rim (it's true), but it was incidental because the ball had already bounced off.  If not for the bad call, that rebound was probably the "World's Greatest Rebound" given the degree of difficulty and the point in the game it occurred.

Either way, you don't jump that early and go for the ball, it was a dumb play that cost the team three points. And that's Tony's problem. All body no brain(basketball wise). And it is too much of a risk to use him consistently in the playoffs.

Meh--I've seen KG and Lebron (among others) do the same thing and not get called for it.  It's an athletic, non-orthodox play, but it's decidely not dumb.  The call was dumb.

So Tony fans I think you will see Doc have Tony on a very short string and once he messes up with just another dumb play, he will see pine for a good long time, just like the last two post seasons.

Meh--TA was in and out of the rotation the prior two playoff runs because he was in and out of the lineup due to injury problems.  This season, basically the most consistent of his career in terms of both health and playing his role, will be different because he's earned Doc's trust and a role in the playoffs.
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Man, some people are getting a bit ridiculous complaining about TA. He does a great play and the refs BLOW the call, and suddenly it's his fault? Come on, some people just don't like the guy and have to find faults even when there are none. Yet, they bend over backwards defending other people with legit valid complaints.

Can someone tell me where's the logic?

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Players mis-time their jumps on rebounds all the time. The main reason people are calling it a dumb play is because TA was involved. I can't believe the number of people blaming Tony for the ref screwing up. The ball had no chance of going in and he caught it after it hit the rim.