Author Topic: I think Tony has earned the playoff rotation!  (Read 15122 times)

Re: I think Tony has earned the playoff rotation!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Tony still gives me a heart attack everytime he dribbles the ball....

I agree Sheldon should definitely get some time, every time I see big baby get blocked I lose my mind

I dont understand Doc and his rotations some times, not playing some players, bad combinations on the court together...

It would be better if neither Shelden nor Baby saw the floor.  Shelden's the slightly better finisher than Baby, but his hands are far worse and he's less adept at getting close enough to the rim to show off that finishing ability.  He's slightly more mobile than Baby, but he's far less aware (did you catch him running into Lowry from behind for the 3-pt play in the 3rd quarter?).  

They are both extremely flawed players who have only seen the floor because KG is too fragile to play starter's minutes and Sheed is too fat and slow to pass as a 4.

didn't you see Sheldon get those 12 points in ...like 11 minutes, when someone finally passed to him...? He dunked time and time again, got rebounds and dunked him, his hands problem are a myth.....sort of like when i posted something about him and someone shot at my spelling.......odd and mistaken distractions....Tommy gave him the Tommy award that game...did you see that one.....of course then Doc-the-genius pulled him...because he was making doc look like.......a fool for not playing the missing piece (aka Leon Powe!).

Shelden's finishing ability disappears if he doesn't get a softball pass within 2 feet of the rim.  Baby is terrible within 2 feet of the rim, but his ability to catch passes in traffic and crash the offensive boards gets him more looks there.  Once all factors have been taken into consideration, I think they are equally bad.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Well, that is up to you...I think Sheldon has shown me everything i liked about Leon Powe...hands, rebounds (how does he get so many rebounds per minute with bad hands???) and DUNKS often..that is a lot, exponentially more than others considering he has to sit most of the game, then just go in and "get the ball"  ball touches warm up the hands...you know that...player...!

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
Wouldn't a "softball pass" that close in get picked off or tipped away anyway......?

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 08:16:38 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think Tony has outplayed Marquis all year. 
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Play time, yes.

Crunch time minutes, no. 

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
If scal plays 1 minute in the playoffs I'll puke....

Keep a bucket handy.  You shouldn't need it, but you will...

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 10:08:45 PM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
i think baby fell out of the rotation and tony\shelden are in

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 10:43:24 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
i think baby fell out of the rotation and tony\shelden are in

I hope that you are right; but I doubt Doc has the balls to do it. I would also like to see Finley paired with TA. You can't play TA and Marquis. Hope Shelden gets more minutes. We have not been able to exploit our size (KG, Sheed, Perk) because at this stage they all lack mobility. BBD can't rebound and has trouble finishing. So Shelden can be a difference maker if Doc gives him the chance.

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 10:43:34 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Agree with OP. Of course he's earned the playing time, but like other posters, I'm not sure Doc will give it to him.
The guy can play.  He makes some dumb fouls and turnovers, and people tend to see only the negatives with TA. But his hustle and energy is something the team desperately needs, and it may be my imagination but he seems to have cut down on the turnovers lately.
 Is he an all-star? No. Does he deserve to play ahead of Daniels and Finley? IMO yes.

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, the more time that TA sees in the playoffs can only bode well for us. He has been steady..plays solid defense...plays very well with Rondo.

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 10:54:21 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Tony still gives me a heart attack everytime he dribbles the ball....

I agree Sheldon should definitely get some time, every time I see big baby get blocked I lose my mind

I dont understand Doc and his rotations some times, not playing some players, bad combinations on the court together...

It would be better if neither Shelden nor Baby saw the floor.  Shelden's the slightly better finisher than Baby, but his hands are far worse and he's less adept at getting close enough to the rim to show off that finishing ability.  He's slightly more mobile than Baby, but he's far less aware (did you catch him running into Lowry from behind for the 3-pt play in the 3rd quarter?).  

They are both extremely flawed players who have only seen the floor because KG is too fragile to play starter's minutes and Sheed is too fat and slow to pass as a 4.

didn't you see Sheldon get those 12 points in ...like 11 minutes, when someone finally passed to him...? He dunked time and time again, got rebounds and dunked him, his hands problem are a myth.....sort of like when i posted something about him and someone shot at my spelling.......odd and mistaken distractions....Tommy gave him the Tommy award that game...did you see that one.....of course then Doc-the-genius pulled him...because he was making doc look like.......a fool for not playing the missing piece (aka Leon Powe!).

Shelden's finishing ability disappears if he doesn't get a softball pass within 2 feet of the rim.  Baby is terrible within 2 feet of the rim, but his ability to catch passes in traffic and crash the offensive boards gets him more looks there.  Once all factors have been taken into consideration, I think they are equally bad.
It is interesting how opposite they are when it comes to catching passes and doing something with them.

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
Another good reason is that TA is the only one who will run with Rondo.....ever see PP or Ray or KG or BBD or Sheed on a fast break...? We could use a few of them...shake up the defense..TA is the only one that will get out and run like that...! ( and Rondo).

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 12:54:37 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Wouldn't a "softball pass" that close in get picked off or tipped away anyway......?

Usually, yes.  That's why Shelden gets far fewer shots around the rim than Baby: Rondo throws fastballs and Shelden doesn't catch them very well.

Perk is another guy who struggles to catch Rondo's passes, but he's still better than Shelden that category.

BTW, I'm in whole-hearted agreement about TA belonging in the rotation.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 01:03:53 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
Well, you may be right...but remember, in Sheldons defense...you ever play on a team...sit on the bench for part of the game...then come in and be expected to be "on"...practice in basketball serves you not at all..! Playing is the only way to get it on, timing....and that is everything in rebounding and catching hard or soft passes...didn't you see that game where he got 12 in 11...the Tommy award.....that is not a flash in the pan,,,sheldons game is not based on luck, he is the"blue collar" guy this team needs..the C's wouldn't have won b4 without Leon, because other teams have no answer for a rebounder, look at the birdman, rodman, varajo...they kill other teams, they are th X factor, get teams in foul trouble, sheldon shoots his free throws ...like 85%..that is the cincher......so doc play my boy, so we can kick some butttttt....!

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 01:12:58 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Everything that the Celtics have been "not that great" with... Tony does those things.

They play without intensity- TA always plays with intensity

Offensive rebounds- TA is a very good weak side rebounder.

Attack the basket- Thats all TA does.

Perimeter defense- best on the team.