Author Topic: Taking a page from Manny......  (Read 1459 times)

Taking a page from Manny......
« on: May 11, 2008, 10:47:36 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
Emotion can be one's best friend or worst enemy.  I think right now, it's perhaps time for the Red Sox to take a page from Manny Ramirez, shrug the shoulders and go do their job.

Here's a story from last year -- In Cleveland after a loss.  Compare the approach to today

From ESPN.com
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Ramirez: Red Sox losing ALCS wouldn't be 'end of the world'

CLEVELAND -- On a workout day, Manny Ramirez gave Boston fans a real reason to get worked up.

With the Red Sox just one loss from elimination, the star slugger was asked about Game 5 of the AL Championship Series against Cleveland.

"Why should we panic?" he said Wednesday in a rare clubhouse interview. "We've got a great team."

And then, this: "It doesn't happen, so who cares? There's always next year. It's not like it's the end of the world."

Try telling that to all those people in New England.

Whatever, that's Manny.

"When I hear that I say, that's why Manny Ramirez is the kind of hitter that he is. There is a certain relaxation about Manny," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said on Boston's WEEI radio Thursday morning.

"Calmness, yes, [he] essentially has it at all times. And when he's got a bat in his hand he uses it effectively because of that focus. He's just not tight. He was trying to say 'you know, let's don't panic. We're going out and play this game. We're going to have fun ... that's how I took it. I know that certain words there are going to be jumped on, and people are going to suggest other things, but I think what you see in that is the essential Manny Ramirez, and one reason why for seven consecutive years we've seen an exceptional offensive [player]."

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.