Author Topic: Who Would You Trade Tatum for Right Now?  (Read 13391 times)

Who Would You Trade Tatum for Right Now?
« on: February 27, 2020, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
http://As Tatum continues to blossom each game, I’m finding it harder to think of players I would trade him for. Based on age and potential, he’s almost untouchable.

This is a testament to his level of play and growth this season. That said, I’m trying to wrap my head around who I’d trade him for, and was curious as to other’s’ opinions.

So far, I have the following:
1. Giannis
2. Luka
3. Jokic (undecided on this one)
4. Embiid
5. I could see an argument for Zion but his weight and injuries are scary

Before anyone asks (and yes it could just be the green goggles) I wouldn’t trade him for AD at this point.

I literally can’t think of anyone else that I would trade him for, which is crazy. It’s an exciting time to be a Cs fan!

Re: Who Would You Trade Tatum for Right Now?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 12:12:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Honestly, just number 1 at the moment. 

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 12:12:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
As Tatum continues to blossom each game, I’m finding it harder to think of players I would trade him for. Based on age and potential, he’s almost untouchable.

To me this is a testament to his level of play and growth this season. That said, I’m trying to wrap my head around who I’d trade him for, and was curious as to other’s’ opinions.

So far, I have the following:
1. Giannis
2. Luka
3. Jokic (undecided on this one)
4. Embiid

I literally can’t think of anyone else that I would trade him for, which is crazy. It’s an exciting time to be a Cs fan!

I'd only trade him for Giannis, and that's about it for me. Embiid is talented, but his size/durability and conditioning is concerning. Jokic is an amazing player who is one of the greatest passing bigs in the history of the NBA, but his conditioning and shooting needs some improvement.

I'm in love with Luka.

I also am in love with his very attractive mother.

But that being said, I think Tatum and Doncic are almost the same for me. Doncic's playmaking is marvelous to witness, but I'd wager his playmaking is more of a necessity, due to the lack of a consistent play maker. His shooting needs some improvement, and his penchant for taking his beloved step back 3's are questionable at times. I think Tatum's defense + 3 point shooting puts him up there with Doncic, but his play making should be worked on eventually.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:23:04 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
NOBODY

not even for Giannis

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Larry Bird

probably swap him for Giannis ....but thats about it
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:58:14 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 12:20:00 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
This is a tough one! I still think Jayson has a lot of ceiling to go in many facets of his game and could potentially wind up being the best out of everyone you have listed there. But we don't know where that ceiling is.

I wouldn't even consider Embiid though and I don't think I'd pull the trigger on Luka either. Giannis may be the only one I'd really consider at this point.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 12:22:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He is close to top 10 conversation at the moment,  especially if you put weight as  two way player and age . Many players put up offense , but are a bust on defense.   Tatum like a young Kawhi

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 12:29:20 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Luka is a lousy defensive player. Meanwhile, Jayson Tatum is in the top 10% of the league, maybe better.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 12:31:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Under the right circumstances, I’d still trade him for Anthony Davis. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Luka Doncic is averaging as many points created via passing (22.6) per game as Tatum is averaging scoring (22.9) per game.

And then on top of that Luka is also scoring 28.7 points per game.

I think some folks are seriously underselling just how huge of an offensive impact Doncic is having on the game.   He's not "just a better passer".   He's a savant.

I do give Tatum a large edge in defensive impact.   But it doesn't make up for the huge gap on the offensive end.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Giannis or Luka.

Not sure why Jokic or Embiid are even on your list.....

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Luka Doncic is averaging as many points created via passing (22.6) per game as Tatum is averaging scoring (22.9) per game.

I think some folks are seriously underselling just how huge of an offensive impact Doncic is having on the game.   He's not "just a better passer".   He's a savant.

I do give Tatum a large edge in defensive impact.   But it doesn't make up for the huge gap on the offensive end.

Does Doncic’s impact go up or down if surrounded by Kemba, Brown and Hayward?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 12:49:28 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Giannis, Kawhi, Luka, AD for sure for ME. After that there’s guys on the bubble like Jokic plus guys that are more talented like Harden or Lebron that would kill me to have to see in green.
  Any time a question comes up like this I really have to think about it though. Lebron is that good. If we COULD just swap these guys were heavy favorites barring injury.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 12:53:33 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Tatum's been averaging around 30ppg for the last month or so and his average has been climbing almost every game (it's now at 23.3 for the season). Whether this is the new norm we will find out.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 12:54:09 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Point taken. Definitely a good argument.  The defensive gap is huge, though.

Now I can’t prove it, but I have faith that you build a champion team on the defensive end, and if you’re going to get over those last two hills, your top scorers have got to be defensive leaders, too.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021