Author Topic: "You have to want for your brother what you want for yourself"  (Read 5552 times)

Re: "You have to want for your brother what you want for yourself"
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 09:46:03 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Another fantastic one-two punch by the Two Jays against the Jazz.

Jayson continues his tear by scoring 33 on just 20 FGA (a super-efficient 74.3% TS%!!!!).

Jaylen adds an efficient 20 points of his own but in addition, on defense, Jazz players in total scored just 9 points while defended by Jaylen!   

One trend I'm seeing is that more and more, teams are avoiding going to the guy Jaylen is guarding.  Even Mitchell in this game deferred taking shots while guarded by Jaylen -- which was for a significant chunk of the game.   The last couple of years and earlier this year, Jaylen was always among the top couple of guys on our team in terms of number of shots defended per 36 but that has really dropped lately.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 09:55:27 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Another fantastic one-two punch by the Two Jays against the Jazz.

Jayson continues his tear by scoring 33 on just 20 FGA (a super-efficient 74.3% TS%!!!!).

Jaylen adds an efficient 20 points of his own but in addition, on defense, Jazz players in total scored just 9 points while defended by Jaylen!   

One trend I'm seeing is that more and more, teams are avoiding going to the guy Jaylen is guarding.  Even Mitchell in this game deferred taking shots while guarded by Jaylen -- which was for a significant chunk of the game.   The last couple of years and earlier this year, Jaylen was always among the top couple of guys on our team in terms of number of shots defended per 36 but that has really dropped lately.

Jaylen's defense + athleticism, lateral quickness and 7'0 wingspan certainly helps him guard against almost anybody.

Jaylen Brown: "If we play the game the right way, I think everything will take care of itself. When adversity hits, come together instead of separating. Everybody be a leader of their own space. Hold each other accountable, be aggressive, and make sure we see the bigger picture."

Loving the maturity from both players, and the growth/development has certainly surprised me. No one expected JT to be this good already.

Jaylen said, when asked about how much Tatum’s success motivates him:
“I don’t look at it like he motivates me, I’m supporting him. We’re on the same team…It’s not a contrast, one against the other. A lot of times people try to dichotomize Jaylen and Tatum. We’re on the same team.”

Hoping the Jays can stay here for a long time.

Also Jaylen's been averaging 23.3 PPG and 6.7 RPG and 2.8 APG in the past 4 games, so JT/JB has been shooting lights out recently.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 12:44:35 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I wonder how many times the word "dichotomize" has been used by pro athletes over the history of sports interviews?

Of course, I feel we have 3 or 4 guys on this team right now from whom it wouldn't seem strange for them to use that word.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 01:04:24 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I wonder how many times the word "dichotomize" has been used by pro athletes over the history of sports.

Kyrie might have. But what a contrast in leadership in the recent comments of Brown and Irving.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 01:05:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder how many times the word "dichotomize" has been used by pro athletes over the history of sports.

Kyrie might have. But what a contrast in leadership in the recent comments of Brown and Irving.
Kyrie might use the word, but probably not correctly.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 01:07:34 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Kyrie might use the word, but probably not correctly.

:laugh:

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 03:36:09 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Jaylen has had a lot of positive quotables in his career, he has a been mature guy his entire career but this season, it has reached all time status! This is only a drop in the pan of the things JB has said. He has become a very vocal leader this season too! Just watch any game, it's jaylen who is calling huddles or talking to the guys during breaks in action! All the usual thought of leaders of the team do it but Jaylen has been the most vocal (that's shown of course), even during games where he's been a little off, he still coaches guys and himself to keep fighting! He just said how he and the others have to give JT more support when he performs like he did against the Lakers even though he didn't have a poor night himself (was off offensively most of the night until the 4th)!

He's also right, people have tried to pit them against each other the entire time! I hope they both realize that they can excel together, if they look at the league over the years they should see players leave teams to find what they have and could have together! Tatum will certainly get the shine, it's going to be really hard on JB as I'm sure it has been already to be okay with that, he has to fight the ego a bit in him and still dominate on the side like Pippen, wade, bosh, Kobe (for a time), etc! LBJ devastated a fan base to go and find what the Jays could have already!

I wish Cs media would try to push them closer instead of trying to pick and find why they should be Jealous and not try to pull them apart! Sure, that would be a little homer-ish but it's not like they don't do A LOT to help put forth biased narratives of whatever the team/players want all the time!!

#JAYSFOREVER
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 03:46:56 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Jaylen has had a lot of positive quotables in his career, he has a been mature guy his entire career but this season, it has reached all time status! This is only a drop in the pan of the things JB has said. He has become a very vocal leader this season too! Just watch any game, it's jaylen who is calling huddles or talking to the guys during breaks in action! All the usual thought of leaders of the team do it but Jaylen has been the most vocal (that's shown of course), even during games where he's been a little off, he still coaches guys and himself to keep fighting! He just said how he and the others have to give JT more support when he performs like he did against the Lakers even though he didn't have a poor night himself (was off offensively most of the night until the 4th)!

He's also right, people have tried to pit them against each other the entire time! I hope they both realize that they can excel together, if they look at the league over the years they should see players leave teams to find what they have and could have together! Tatum will certainly get the shine, it's going to be really hard on JB as I'm sure it has been already to be okay with that, he has to fight the ego a bit in him and still dominate on the side like Pippen, wade, bosh, Kobe (for a time), etc! LBJ devastated a fan base to go and find what the Jays could have already!

I wish Cs media would try to push them closer instead of trying to pick and find why they should be Jealous and not try to pull them apart! Sure, that would be a little homer-ish but it's not like they don't do A LOT to help put forth biased narratives of whatever the team/players want all the time!!

#JAYSFOREVER
This deserves a TP, well said!

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 04:09:15 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

#JAYSFOREVER
This deserves a TP, well said!

I’m not even sure how much our media even WANTS the Celts to succeed. Not Felger. I don’t think Mazz genuinely cares either way. I’m not sure what  Ordway and Merloni want with how much they laughed at Celtics fans last year and the off season.
  But it’s not new.  A couple of the most respected names in Bob Ryan and Jackie Mac were ALL about the name on the back of the jersey with the new big 3 right up to the brink of winning that title. I

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 04:14:59 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The brother analogy is a great way to put it.  I never had any more than good humored sibling rivalry with my brothers.  We went to war together and supported each other 100%.  Their success was my success.

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
The brother analogy is a great way to put it.  I never had any more than good humored sibling rivalry with my brothers.  We went to war together and supported each other 100%.  Their success was my success.

That’s awesome, man. Me and my brother didn’t get along. His friends bullied me in our home . He just scoffed as I didn’t stick up for myself.
  Funny. On a basketball court I’d actually get into a fight sometimes. The bigger the less afraid I’d be because well .. nobody’s expecting me to take this guy anyways. But I was petrified to lose to anyone equal in size or smaller.
   It took me awhile to forgive it and we’ll what’s on me is on me . Wish I hadn’t cared so much.
 But bro is a great guy and an amazing dad. But I had health problems and wasn’t there again. I envy it , man.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Blabbering but I always wished I had a younger sibling to guide and stick up for.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 11:07:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
   I’m not even sure how much our media even WANTS the Celts to succeed. Not Felger. I don’t think Mazz genuinely cares either way. I’m not sure what  Ordway and Merloni want with how much they laughed at Celtics fans last year and the off season.
  But it’s not new.  A couple of the most respected names in Bob Ryan and Jackie Mac were ALL about the name on the back of the jersey with the new big 3 right up to the brink of winning that title. I

Felger is a Milwaukee Bucks fan.  He is not and never has been a fan of New England teams.  Doing sports talk for them is a job.  He's a fan of MIL area teams.

I've pretty much given up on 99% of local sports talk radio.  It's just crap.  There are far better things to listen to on the long commute.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 11:15:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Felger is a Milwaukee Bucks fan.  He is not and never has been a fan of New England teams.  Doing sports talk for them is a job.  He's a fan of MIL area teams.

I've pretty much given up on 99% of local sports talk radio.  It's just crap.  There are far better things to listen to on the long commute.
being what seems to be the lone Brewer fan in New England, I'd rather stay the lone fan than share a following with that braying jackass.

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 11:18:20 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Agreed and same.  It's largely unintelligent blabber.  I get better insights turning the radio power off for 30 minutes and just listening to the thoughts in my head.

However, I know Sean Sylver on 98.5 through playing bball with him a few years ago and I like tuning into him when I know he's on.  He's a nice guy, btw, if anyone cares.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur