Author Topic: "You have to want for your brother what you want for yourself"  (Read 5541 times)

"You have to want for your brother what you want for yourself"
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:40:21 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
One of the cool things to watch, if you've been paying attention, during Jayson Tatums recent eruption is how happy Jaylen Brown seems to be for him.

The above quote is from Jaylen, about Jayson.  He has nothing but positives to say about his friend's recent level of play:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/02/26/jaylen-brown-jayson-tatum-celtics

In the recent games, when Jayson has made a big shot, Jaylen has been right there to bump chests and congratulate him.

One of my favorite moments during one of the recent games (I think it was in the first half against the Lakers) was on a hard push up the court, Jaylen had the ball above the left break and was coming up on two defenders.  He immediately fired a pass into the left corner to a wide-open Jayson who let fly with a high arcing 3.   One of the replays they showed in the coverage (wish I could find a link to it) from down court shows Jaylen already turning to run back on defense, grinning and screaming, knowing the ball is going to sink in the net.

I just loved that.  Total confidence in his brother.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Re: "You have to want for your brother what you want for yourself"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 03:48:10 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  Ya. I’m a big fan of Jaylen. He sacrificed last year . He shouldn’t have had to. He was mature about it. I don’t think others would have been.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 03:54:58 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Jaylen has been playing great and deserves recognition for how well he's been playing.  I was talking to a Laker fan the other day in person and they were trashing on Jaylen a bit after the game against the Lakers.  I told him Jaylen has been nearly as good as Tatum for the season, Tatum has just exploded the last month.  He said "no way, Jaylen is averaging like 14 PPG"  I quickly showed him that Jaylen is up at the 20 PPG mark with 6 boards and great defense as he saw on AD the game before.  He couldn't believe how wrong about Brown he was.

Tatum has been insane, and it's great to see his LEAP, but let's respect what Brown has done this season as well.  We're very lucky to have these guys for the next 5 years.  I expect Ainge to give Tatum an Embiid level contract at the end of this season.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 03:59:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Jaylen still had the same role as last year, then he might not be so excited (just human nature); but since he has himself come into his own and also has the national attention, I think he knows his time will come.

Still, it is really great to see him so happy for a teammate when he probably feels deep down that he should be getting the same recognition. Jaylen seems very well-adjusted and confident in himself both as a person and basketball player. His improvement from season to season has been impressive to say the least. I swear I see MJ on that cross-over step-back 15-18 foot jumper (never mind the defense, handle, and finishing at the hoop).

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 04:10:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The Progress > The Process

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
If Jaylen still had the same role as last year, then he might not be so excited (just human nature); but since he has himself come into his own and also has the national attention, I think he knows his time will come.

Still, it is really great to see him so happy for a teammate when he probably feels deep down that he should be getting the same recognition. Jaylen seems very well-adjusted and confident in himself both as a person and basketball player. His improvement from season to season has been impressive to say the least. I swear I see MJ on that cross-over step-back 15-18 foot jumper (never mind the defense, handle, and finishing at the hoop).

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing that on his midrange jumper.... The way he jumps and hangs in the air seems MJ like to me, but I'm afraid to say it because people freak out whenever you make an MJ comparison. lol

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 04:39:18 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  Brown and Hayward to me are still better players. Brown slightly and I know I’ll get hate for Hayward but elsewhere he’s 21/7/6 plus . Tatum is really fortunate he has these two and Kemba in particular ( nothing works without our best player being all in) as such unselfish teammates. Kemba is gonna end up my all time fave Celtic  due to that I credit him with the teams attitude above anyone else including the coach who still didn’t delegate the pecking order justly.
  I think Hayward is a big flight risk now having to defer to inferior players. ( That’s my unpopular opinion and spanning the course of the season until now) . But maybe it works out for the best.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 05:10:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
  Brown and Hayward to me are still better players. Brown slightly and I know I’ll get hate for Hayward but elsewhere he’s 21/7/6 plus . Tatum is really fortunate he has these two and Kemba in particular ( nothing works without our best player being all in) as such unselfish teammates. Kemba is gonna end up my all time fave Celtic  due to that I credit him with the teams attitude above anyone else including the coach who still didn’t delegate the pecking order justly.
  I think Hayward is a big flight risk now having to defer to inferior players. ( That’s my unpopular opinion and spanning the course of the season until now) . But maybe it works out for the best.
haywards passing ability is underrated. Many teams like the warriors would love a player like hayward. Plus he’s a reliable sharpshooter

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 05:19:29 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I was listening to the post game interviews on Celtics Post Game, there was one reporter in particular who kept trying to prod Jaylen to say something that might show jealousy at Tatum's success, to try to manufacture some kind of conflict. Jaylen wasn't having any of it and deflected the questions expertly with that response above.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 05:30:14 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Because of Tatum, it's hard to lose perspective on how lucky we are to have Brown. Playing at an all-star level already at age 23, works extremely hard, competes, and has his head screwed on straight.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 05:32:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Because of Tatum, it's hard to lose perspective on how lucky we are to have Brown. Playing at an all-star level already at age 23, works extremely hard, competes, and has his head screwed on straight.

And I think as much as a lot of people here crap on Danny for his drafting, you have to give him huge props for absolutely nailing two Top 3 draft picks. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 05:37:11 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
One of the cool things to watch, if you've been paying attention, during Jayson Tatums recent eruption is how happy Jaylen Brown seems to be for him.

The above quote is from Jaylen, about Jayson.  He has nothing but positives to say about his friend's recent level of play:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/02/26/jaylen-brown-jayson-tatum-celtics

In the recent games, when Jayson has made a big shot, Jaylen has been right there to bump chests and congratulate him.

One of my favorite moments during one of the recent games (I think it was in the first half against the Lakers) was on a hard push up the court, Jaylen had the ball above the left break and was coming up on two defenders.  He immediately fired a pass into the left corner to a wide-open Jayson who let fly with a high arcing 3.   One of the replays they showed in the coverage (wish I could find a link to it) from down court shows Jaylen already turning to run back on defense, grinning and screaming, knowing the ball is going to sink in the net.

That play stood out to me as well. I remarked at the time that it won't be long until they both get 2-3 assists a game to each other.
Their games are so complimentary. They're both versatile, but I see Jayson as the team defender/Jaylen as the man defender, Jaylen can get assists leading the break, Jayson passing out of the double team. Are there two team mates 23 and under that have as much playoff experience and success?

I dream what this might look like when they are 26/25 yrs old in their primes. Anything is possible!

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 05:59:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks for posting (TP).

The eerie thing with Jaylen's comments here is that it sounds like stuff that Russell, Larry, NcHale, Tommy, Paul, Cowens, Cousy, Hondo, Boston Rondo, Ray, KG - would say....TEAMWORK stuff...being happy for your TEAM MATES success over YOURS...

This stuff translates into WINNING and BANNERS.....

I have NO IDEA what that mess was we saw last year but I'm LOVING what I've seen THIS YEAR.

Keep it up, fellas....and keep Theis, Kanter, Wannamaker and the rest of the bench happy and this team is going places.

Chemistry is HUGE. This is what constituted Celtics Teams of OLD and differentiated us SO MUCH from The Lakers...even NOW...

Lakers ARE storied BUT in Hollywood. BOS is GRIT and GRIND...and it's been a tried and true formula for success for us.

Jaylen is channeling this at such a YOUNG age. He GETS it. You can't TEACH this stuff...it HAS to be in your DNA....

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 05:59:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And I think as much as a lot of people here crap on Danny for his drafting, you have to give him huge props for absolutely nailing two Top 3 draft picks.
Could not agree more. TP4U, Dons!

I would add that Ainge absolutely nailed the 2014 draft as well as the 2016 and 2017 drafts. The only player I would take instead of Smart in that draft at #6 is Jokic...and he was taken mid 2nd round, so not sure getting that lucky really counts.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 06:41:43 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

That play stood out to me as well. I remarked at the time that it won't be long until they both get 2-3 assists a game to each other.
Their games are so complimentary. They're both versatile, but I see Jayson as the team defender/Jaylen as the man defender, Jaylen can get assists leading the break, Jayson passing out of the double team. Are there two team mates 23 and under that have as much playoff experience and success?

I dream what this might look like when they are 26/25 yrs old in their primes. Anything is possible!

Yup. My thoughts exactly. When these guys are a few yrs older. Yo wsa. These two I think are BELOW average facilitators right now. Jaylen is noticeably improved though. Tatum a bit better. Once these guys’ handle is tighter ( especially Tatum could use this) holy moly. They can and should improve a LOT in the coming years with playmaking.