Author Topic: Jaylen and Jayson lack of assists  (Read 8160 times)

Jaylen and Jayson lack of assists
« on: February 24, 2020, 12:48:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jaylen after some time with Pops, passed the ball like I never seem do before.  Nice alley lobs to Timelord for example

But now all he does is shoot or drive anytime after receiving a pass

Tatum has been red hot as of late

But last night failed to dismantle Lakers constant double team. Like JVG said, his next step is learn how to pass

And then you have a bum like Lebron laughing on the sidelines after the win

For a decade now he has always been able to get the best of the Celts. That one or two extra moves where he comes out on top.

Can this stop already? 

CBS needs to start coaching better.  It seems like sometimes its all philosophical with him. And Jay is the one doing the developing etc.

Re: Jaylen and Jayson lack of assists
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 12:58:08 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
This passing thing is personnel based, not coaching. The two guys took steps forward in their games, but sad to say their playmaking is still in the early stages. If its coaching, then guys like Hayward and Smart would have low totals like they do.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
How is this related to coaching? Tatum and Brown are weak passers overall, this isn't on Stevens :-\
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 01:07:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What exactly are you trying to say here? You are all over the place.

Are you saying it's Stevens' fault that Brown and Tatum don't get more assists?

Neither is a PG. Neither had great court vision or great skill at passing coming into the league. It will be the last thing to develop for both these guys. With how both have grown their game this year, expecting great leaps in generating assists shouldn't be expected this year, especially the passing skill to get out of double teams.

There is little Stevens can do in that regard. The decision making process to be efficient, high level scorers kicked in for both this year. The decision making process to continue to score efficiently but knowing when to make that pass to a better chance to score will come. It's not like some of this stuff can be done in practice. This type of development has to happen in games or with a team of trainers/coaches in the offseason.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 01:41:07 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Ignoring the dig on stevens, the play making question is an important one.  Tatum in particular might be such a good scorer that one can add less weight to the low assist numbers.  Bu even Kobe reached five and six assists at this peak.  If Tatum doesn't round his game out a little more he'll be in the Carmelo category.  A fine, fine player but one that doesn't improve his teammates.

Jaylen I worry about less, mostly because he doesn't have the same level of talent and he doesn't hold the ball.  He makes quick decisions and generally has good results.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:17:39 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 01:48:51 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Ignoring the dig on stevens, the play making question is an important one.  Tatum in particular may might be such a good scorer that one can add less weight to the low assist numbers.  Bu even Kobe reached five and six assists at this peak.  If Tatum doesn't round his game out a little more he'll be in the Carmelo category.  A fine, fine player but one that doesn't improve his teammates.

Jaylen I worry about less, mostly because he doesn't have the same level of talent and he doesn't hold the ball.  He makes quick decisions and generally has good results.
The bolded can also be used to describe prime Michael Jordan :laugh:, Jaylen has great potential (obviously not prime MJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the leap as well).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 01:56:19 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Ignoring the dig on stevens, the play making question is an important one.  Tatum in particular may might be such a good scorer that one can add less weight to the low assist numbers.  Bu even Kobe reached five and six assists at this peak.  If Tatum doesn't round his game out a little more he'll be in the Carmelo category.  A fine, fine player but one that doesn't improve his teammates.

The bolded can also be used to describe prime Michael Jordan :laugh:, Jaylen has great potential (obviously not prime MJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the leap as well).
At his peak MJ averaged between 6-8 assists per year.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 02:00:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Jaylen grows his game every year. I expect leaps in different areas of his game, passing be the prime skill. I expect the same from Jayson.

Thing is, as long as this top 5 is together, I don't see major leaps in assists from the Jay's. Kemba, Gordon and Smart all average around 5 assists a game. If their assist totals don't decline, how much higher can the Jay's numbers get?

With this group, which could be together for years, maybe all of the top five players averaging between 4-5 assists each is the best we can expect.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 02:03:15 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Tatum is now Kobe for good and bad.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 02:08:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What exactly are you trying to say here? You are all over the place.

Are you saying it's Stevens' fault that Brown and Tatum don't get more assists?

Neither is a PG. Neither had great court vision or great skill at passing coming into the league. It will be the last thing to develop for both these guys. With how both have grown their game this year, expecting great leaps in generating assists shouldn't be expected this year, especially the passing skill to get out of double teams.

There is little Stevens can do in that regard. The decision making process to be efficient, high level scorers kicked in for both this year. The decision making process to continue to score efficiently but knowing when to make that pass to a better chance to score will come. It's not like some of this stuff can be done in practice. This type of development has to happen in games or with a team of trainers/coaches in the offseason.

Like I said

In the summer after time under Pops

Brown was forcing less than we have seen from him in the past

making the extra passes, alley hoop passes

You don't have to be a special passer to know how to do this.  Look at the Raptors. Drive and drop a pass is the routine.     

Drive and pass to the open man

Its good habit/and better basketball

last night, Brown received a pass from Tatum (double team) and Theis was right there for the open dunk/layup ... instead Brown opts for a tough shot/miss

Overall Brown assist totals are brutal for a wing.  Like you said, we all hope he improves on this aspect of his game. He has it in him

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 02:12:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They both have a little tunnel vision. It didn’t help that tatums favorite Celtic  friends last few years were Morris and kyrie

He could use Hayward’s guidance in learning how to read/find/create passing lanes as a forward

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 02:13:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I think Tatum will be a more efficient scorer than Kobe. I see Tatum being a regular 39-41% three point shooter in his prime with a TS% around 59-60%.

Kobe was lethal in the mid range but a below average three point shooter.  And his three point rate was down around 20% most of his career.

Tatum is doing what he can to limit the mid range and accentuate his shots at the rim and at the three point line. If Tatum keeps his 3point rate in the mid to high 30's at 38-40% that will make a huge difference.

I think Jayson will take the best of what Kobe was and build on it to become the 1st Jayson Tatum rather than the next Kobe.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 02:16:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think Tatum will be a more efficient scorer than Kobe. I see Tatum being a regular 39-41% three point shooter in his prime with a TS% around 59-60%.

Kobe was lethal in the mid range but a below average three point shooter.  And his three point rate was down around 20% most of his career.

Tatum is doing what he can to limit the mid range and accentuate his shots at the rim and at the three point line. If Tatum keeps his 3point rate in the mid to high 30's at 38-40% that will make a huge difference.

I think Jayson will take the best of what Kobe was and build on it to become the 1st Jayson Tatum rather than the next Kobe.

Imo Tatum is getting into Durant zone vs next Kobe

Durant is an excellent 3 point shooter, shooting over defenders. Clutch. And also hard to stop near the basket

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 02:19:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
They both have a little tunnel vision. It didn’t help that tatums favorite Celtic  friends last few years were Morris and kyrie

He could use Hayward’s guidance in learning how to read/find/create passing lanes as a forward

For me it doesn't matter if they have tunnel vision sometimes

especially if they are hot

but out of double teams OR when Theis was open underneath the net.

don't take the lower percentage shot in that instance

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 02:27:15 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Perhaps they would both get more assists if anyone else could hit a shot??
Not having Walker certainly doesn't help. Haywood had a bad shooting day, including a bunny in the last minute that could have wrapped up the game. Smart shoots at a low percentage, and the Celtics have the worst bench in the league.

Seriously, who should they pass to? I would prefer both of them continue to shot, preferable drive to the hole, than pass to anyone else on the team.