Author Topic: Jayson Tatum's improved play  (Read 18617 times)

Jayson Tatum's improved play
« on: February 07, 2020, 06:33:58 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Tatum shot pretty badly to start the season (I think his FG% was as low as 40%). I hoped it was just getting acclimated to the new roster/more touches/bigger responsibilities. He took a lot of bad shots (ugly floaters and stepbacks) and while he still takes them, he makes them more often and gets to the rim more. Maybe it's just a feeling, but that's what the eye test says for me. It looks like he really stepped up lately, hitting some cold-blooded shots and being an assassin.

Stats for the season: 22/7/3 (43.7% FG, 37.5% 3pt, 84.2% FT) - that FG% leaves a bit to be desired.

Stats for the last 10 games: 26/6.6/3.3 (48.1% FG, 45.3% 3pt, 83.3% FT)

Thoughts? Is it just a hot streak or is he getting more comfortable?

Re: Jayson Tatum's improved play
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 07:00:26 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
The never-ending (it seems) “which Jay is better” see-saw joyride continues to go up and down. Jayson gets the deserved all-star selection, while Jaylen gets 2 player of the week honors (one last week). The eye test leaves me with the impression that 2 years from now the C’s could have 2 pretty unstoppable offensive forces.  Both can drive, create space in the lane, stop, stutter and go, hit the 3, hit clutch shots.  Overall, Jayson is taller and more reliable from distance and at the rim.  But it’s pretty close. The strange thing I am thinking lately is that Jayson seems to be becoming the more disruptive defensive player. I know it’s been conventional wisdom to say that Jaylen is the defensive guy, but I think Jayson may be better — perhaps not as versatile, but his arms seem to create an enormous amount of mayhem for opponents.  I think it’s when Jayson steps it up defensively that the C’s have looked ultra-elite on defense.

The other stat:  Jayson isn’t 22 till March.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:01:58 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
He is only 21 and going get better..Really think Kobe help him a lot in offseason
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 07:11:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think his off-ball movement has improved recently - hand-in-hand, Brad's utilising of more than 3-4 players on offence (compared to last year) is much better. The offence is also better at feeding the hot-hand, and Tatum has certainly improved his efficiency.

I think, while the production might not stay this high efor the remainder of this season, the efficiency might. It's closer to what he was shooting his first two years, rather than the poor shooting start he went through at the start of this year.

Either way, having two monster athletic wings alongside one of the best playmaking wings in the league and an All-NBA guard is pretty exciting
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 07:12:25 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
The never-ending (it seems) “which Jay is better” see-saw joyride continues to go up and down. Jayson gets the deserved all-star selection, while Jaylen gets 2 player of the week honors (one last week). The eye test leaves me with the impression that 2 years from now the C’s could have 2 pretty unstoppable offensive forces.  Both can drive, create space in the lane, stop, stutter and go, hit the 3, hit clutch shots.  Overall, Jayson is taller and more reliable from distance and at the rim.  But it’s pretty close. The strange thing I am thinking lately is that Jayson seems to be becoming the more disruptive defensive player. I know it’s been conventional wisdom to say that Jaylen is the defensive guy, but I think Jayson may be better — perhaps not as versatile, but his arms seem to create an enormous amount of mayhem for opponents.  I think it’s when Jayson steps it up defensively that the C’s have looked ultra-elite on defense.

I think Jaylen has been the more consistent offense player overall this year. However, I definitely agree Jayson has been a better defender. Jaylen seems to have stagnated on D this year, with no improvements to his rather mediocre off-ball defense, even though his on-ball defense remains pretty good.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 07:26:31 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Two things have stood out for me with Tatum this year, defense and touch.

Considering his perceived downside on defense when he was drafted, Tatum looks the part of a defensive quarterback at times. He gets to free roam in the lanes on D with his length. Giannis has a similar role, except the unicorn version of it (DPOY level if we are honest.)

Jayson has also shown advanced touch compared to what he has in the past. I know we always want to see him take it to the glass and finish with length, but having the floater and creative high finishes can be a real advantage. I get excited thinking about where Tatum and Brown will be when they are in their mid 20s. The future is definitely bright.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 07:45:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I think Jaylen has been the more consistent offense player overall this year. However, I definitely agree Jayson has been a better defender. Jaylen seems to have stagnated on D this year, with no improvements to his rather mediocre off-ball defense, even though his on-ball defense remains pretty good.
I like Tatum's defense, especially his good improving instincts, long arms, presence and help d.
However, his frame, even with wide shoulders of his is small and he can't be a roadblock (hydrant) like Smart or even Brown can be.
Guys put their shoulders in Tatum's chest and they just go through him, toward the rim.
It has nothing to do with his knowledge and his willingness to fight defensively, it is just physics. He is a lightweight.
Toughest guys in the league to matchup are strong skillful wings like Kawhi, LBJ, Durant, Jimmy etc.
Jaylen has a chance to check them 1-on-1 and offer some resistance, Jaylen has no chance.
IMO, that is the biggest difference between our Jay's defensively.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 07:50:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

To me it is not that his off ball defense is "bad".

It is that he just has bad lapses, the "space out" jokes from that photo shoot just fit so well to me.  How many times have we seen him play great defense for 5 seconds or more and then jump on a pump fake and give a bail out foul? Stuff like that really adds up. His lapses don't come consistently in any one phase of defense though, they just seem random as hell.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 07:52:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Jaylen is clearly stronger than Jayson, so Jaylen is better when the defender forces him into a strength based situation. Tatum is all about his lanky arms, he's gotten very good at using his length to disrupt opponents.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Jayson Tatum is already, today, right now, so very clearly this team's best player. He impacts winning more than any other player, and pretty much every team based metric backs this up. Getting hung up on his shooting percentages is just failing to see the forest for the trees.

Were looking at a potential future MVP, folks. Enjoy it!

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 08:19:18 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Didn't really want to compare the Jays, but if we do, I'll just say this - we are finally getting to see flashes of what we hoped for, which is constant pressure on the opponent's D by one of our athletic wings. They've been so good this year, the sky's the limit. It's also very good that they have different play styles that complement each other. Here's to hoping they stay in green.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
reminds me of PG , silent assassin.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 02:39:12 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Pretty much the same idea, but I wanted to point it out.

26ppg on 50/45/79 shooting splits
7rpg
3apg
2spg
1bpg

in 32 minutes per game.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 02:59:35 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Didn't really want to compare the Jays, but if we do, I'll just say this - we are finally getting to see flashes of what we hoped for, which is constant pressure on the opponent's D by one of our athletic wings. They've been so good this year, the sky's the limit. It's also very good that they have different play styles that complement each other. Here's to hoping they stay in green.

Tatum and Brown are going nowhere. The players you might consider trading them for are untradable.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 04:05:45 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Topic: "Tatum's improved play"

His numbers this year vs last year adjusted.

He shoots more threes at 3.9 pg vs 6.3 pg ...both at 37%
He rebounds more 6.0 pg vs 6.8 pg
He passes more 2.1 apg vs 2.9 apg
He steals more 1.1 pg vs 1.4 pg
He blocks more 0.7 pg vs 0.8 pg
He scores more 15.7 ppg vs 21.9 ppg
He gets fouled more 2.9 fta/game vs 4.1 fta/game

In his last ten games:
Blocks 0.9
Steals 1.6
Assists 3.2
FTA 4.8
ppg 26.1
Rebs 6.5
From three 33 of 69

He is passing to his mates more, which is good, it will help his game. He is rebounding more. He is going inside more and getting fouled. He is stealing more and he is blocking more. He is skipping chucking lousy threes and driving or passing.

Talk about helping your mathematical situation?

He is not my favorite player and he is making me look bad for that.

This year and, as of of late he is absolutely crushing it. He should be on the all star team....wait a minute. Ok, he already is.