Author Topic: Latest from Bill Simmons  (Read 22783 times)

Re: Latest from Bill Simmons
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2014, 12:03:27 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Making my monthly visit to see how many more Rondo is horrible posts have been made. Had my fill. See you in a month.   ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2014, 12:03:59 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I really like Thomas

Sully
Green
Bass
Bradley
KO
McLemore
Thomas

Not Bad.... 35 win team?

25-28 wins at best

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2014, 12:06:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Numbers dont lie but there is a difference between lying and telling the truth. The couple of stats you plucked to suit your agenda are ones that don't tell the whole truth. Celtics were in tank mode and sat Rondo more than half of the season. Rondo, like I said, was recovering from major reconstructive surgery on his ACL and had little to no time to get into a groove with his new teammates. In addition to this, Rondo is smart and knew winning was not in the best interest of the team last year.

Rondo will be rebounding, and either 1st or 2nd in assists next year and will be back to his former self mark my words. You can not like Rondo and think he is overrated, but to imply that he is a horrible pointguard near the bottom of the league is a joke. At worst he is a top 10 PG. The only ones I count that are better than him are Lilliard, Paul, Curry, and Wall.

Once again you ignore the fact that the Celtics lost the last six games Rondo played when he was healthy and ranked 14th in PER that season playing with Pierce and Garnett.

And once again the insults. I did not lie.

+1. 

Even tommy one of rondos biggest fan called him out for playing poorly/selfishly.  Imo the little star treatment he has received has gone to his head

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Numbers dont lie but there is a difference between lying and telling the truth. The couple of stats you plucked to suit your agenda are ones that don't tell the whole truth. Celtics were in tank mode and sat Rondo more than half of the season. Rondo, like I said, was recovering from major reconstructive surgery on his ACL and had little to no time to get into a groove with his new teammates. In addition to this, Rondo is smart and knew winning was not in the best interest of the team last year.

Rondo will be rebounding, and either 1st or 2nd in assists next year and will be back to his former self mark my words. You can not like Rondo and think he is overrated, but to imply that he is a horrible pointguard near the bottom of the league is a joke. At worst he is a top 10 PG. The only ones I count that are better than him are Lilliard, Paul, Curry, and Wall.

Once again you ignore the fact that the Celtics lost the last six games Rondo played when he was healthy and ranked 14th in PER that season playing with Pierce and Garnett.

I never said you lied, numbers are numbers but without context they have no meaning. It's like saying the average life expectancy of a white male in new york is 28 years old...Only to leave out the part that you only surveyed one person and that person was runover by a semi-truck in a freak accident.

Also I'm not ignoring the games the celtics lost when he was healthy, I'm glad they lost those games as that was the goal last season. Aren't you ignoring the fact he was coming off of major acl surgery and had little to no time to get into the flow of the regular season and get a feel for his new teammates? Rondo sat more than half the season and sat all back to back games. If that doesnt throw off somebodies rhythm I don't know what will. Winning or losing does not relate to somebodies individual talent...The Pelicans lost a buttload of games last year but that doesnt detract anything from how amazing anthony davis is. Same goes for other players like Irving, Love, Cousins, Drummond, MCW, etc.

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2014, 12:12:35 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.
The top three point guards in PER are Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, and Stephen Curry.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

PER helps a little, it rewards efficiency and production, which deserve rewards.

But it is a 'bad' stat if used as a marker for who is better than whom (or is it both whom? Or switched?). Big men tend to dominate the stat in ways that aren't reflective of their on-court production.

But Rondo isn't a guy who shows up as productive in most any advanced metric system.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2014, 12:16:34 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
Just checked PER and Kendrick Perkins is last in the league for centers...lol

Also Larry Sanders, Roy Hibbert, and Omer Asik were all in the 40s in their position. I guess they all are scrubs.  :P

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2014, 12:19:09 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
guys, lay off quoting how bad Rondo's stats were last season.  He was rehabbing from knee surgery. And, frankly, was probably facilitating the tank, let's be honest (have you ever seen him miss so many easy bunnies as last season?? Historically he is a great finisher, which is why he is among league leaders in FG  %  for PGs, despite a bad outside shot).

No one with basic understanding of professional athletics should put any stock in his numbers from last year. Feel free to criticize him for pre-injury stats, but not last season's.  Let's see how he does this coming season.

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2014, 12:25:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
guys, lay off quoting how bad Rondo's stats were last season.  He was rehabbing from knee surgery. And, frankly, was probably facilitating the tank, let's be honest (have you ever seen him miss so many easy bunnies as last season?? Historically he is a great finisher, which is why he is among league leaders in FG  %  for PGs, despite a bad outside shot).

No one with basic understanding of professional athletics should put any stock in his numbers from last year. Feel free to criticize him for pre-injury stats, but not last season's.  Let's see how he does this coming season.

I agree. I dont have a great feeling things will change much though. Its his mindset/approach that needs to change more than anything

Tony parker for example is such a humble and team first guy. He doesnt pad his stats.  Rondo should learn to play this way

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2014, 12:27:27 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

I never said you lied, numbers are numbers but without context they have no meaning. It's like saying the average life expectancy of a white male in new york is 28 years old...Only to leave out the part that you only surveyed one person and that person was runover by a semi-truck in a freak accident.

Also I'm not ignoring the games the celtics lost when he was healthy, I'm glad they lost those games as that was the goal last season. Aren't you ignoring the fact he was coming off of major acl surgery and had little to no time to get into the flow of the regular season and get a feel for his new teammates? Rondo sat more than half the season and sat all back to back games. If that doesnt throw off somebodies rhythm I don't know what will. Winning or losing does not relate to somebodies individual talent...The Pelicans lost a buttload of games last year but that doesnt detract anything from how amazing anthony davis is. Same goes for other players like Irving, Love, Cousins, Drummond, MCW, etc.

They lost those games last season, not this season.

Rondo was injured last year.

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2014, 12:28:02 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

I agree. I dont have a great feeling things will change much though. Its his mindset/approach that needs to change more than anything

Tony parker for example is such a humble and team first guy. He doesnt pad his stats.  Rondo should learn to play this way

The stats padding you mention was with the consent of Doc Rivers. Triboy why are you such a Rondo hater?
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2014, 12:30:45 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Sorry, I won't ignore the facts just so we can all feel good about our team.

Rondo was 14th in the league before the injury, and we lost the last six games he played before he got injured. I don't think anyone here will say that wins are not an important stat when we were trying to make the playoffs that year.

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2014, 12:31:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The stats padding you mention was with the consent of Doc Rivers. Triboy why are you such a Rondo hater?

Is rondo a robot? Doc is gone

Bc he pads his stats and puts the team 2nd. Not always but alot of times.   

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2014, 12:33:41 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

He was THE on-court tank commander in my book.

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Also Larry Sanders, Roy Hibbert, and Omer Asik were all in the 40s in their position. I guess they all are scrubs.  :P

You make a good point. All the players you mentioned had their problems last year.
PER is a very good stat.

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2014, 12:55:24 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

You make a good point. All the players you mentioned had their problems last year.
PER is a very good stat.
Alright now thats just flame-bait, ill go back over your bridge and leave you to collect coins or bother goats or whatever it is that your kin do.   ;D