Author Topic: Rondo+ Carmelo+ (insert player here?) on Celtics= Legit contender.  (Read 23072 times)

Re: Rondo+ Carmelo+ (insert player here?) on Celtics= Legit contender.
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 10:11:33 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Brad Stevens is smart enough to move Melo to the 4 and utilize him in a different way. Melo was phenomenal on Team USA, he can do the same thing here. I don't believe he's incapable of switching it up for the sake of winning. Him and Rondo are smart enough to make it work by switching their games up. Spolestra did a great job of making Miami's Big 3 work just like Doc made our Big 3 work. It all depends on coaching in my opinion, faith in your teammates helps to. No way Melo believe in this NY roster right now. Give him Rondo and a secondary scorer like Jeff and i think he switches it up.

This is exactly right. TP.
I don't think we could afford Melo and Green though- we'd need to spend money on a rim protector.
The only other option of keeping Green would be getting someone like Asik, because although you are over paying him, only 8 million of his salary counts against the cap.

So Green+ Asik= 17 million against the cap.
Problem for me is still Avery at the SG spot.

Dunno what we'd do with Sully if Melo came and/or we got Asik.
We could use Sully as a monster trade asset if we had to get a shooting guard or nice pick for a shooting guard.

Rondo
SG
Green
Melo
Asik

or

Rondo
SG
Melo
Sully
Asik

Would need the shooting guard to be an excellent 3 point shooter but with Melo, Green and another 3 baller and Asik in the paint we'd be pretty tough. Rondo would make Asik a 15 and 15 player in my opinion- he'd just be a far superior rim protector than Sully.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
Brad Stevens is smart enough to move Melo to the 4 and utilize him in a different way. Melo was phenomenal on Team USA, he can do the same thing here. I don't believe he's incapable of switching it up for the sake of winning. Him and Rondo are smart enough to make it work by switching their games up. Spolestra did a great job of making Miami's Big 3 work just like Doc made our Big 3 work. It all depends on coaching in my opinion, faith in your teammates helps to. No way Melo believe in this NY roster right now. Give him Rondo and a secondary scorer like Jeff and i think he switches it up.

This is exactly right. TP.
I don't think we could afford Melo and Green though- we'd need to spend money on a rim protector.
The only other option of keeping Green would be getting someone like Asik, because although you are over paying him, only 8 million of his salary counts against the cap.

So Green+ Asik= 17 million against the cap.
Problem for me is still Avery at the SG spot.

Dunno what we'd do with Sully if Melo came and/or we got Asik.
We could use Sully as a monster trade asset if we had to get a shooting guard or nice pick for a shooting guard.

Rondo
SG
Green
Melo
Asik

or

Rondo
SG
Melo
Sully
Asik

Would need the shooting guard to be an excellent 3 point shooter but with Melo, Green and another 3 baller and Asik in the paint we'd be pretty tough. Rondo would make Asik a 15 and 15 player in my opinion- he'd just be a far superior rim protector than Sully.

Jeff isn't incredibly expensive as our Ray Allen secondary scorer though right? Which is what i think of Jeff as, a well above average secondary scorer. He would be so great on a team where another scorer demanded more attention, sink to the corners for those 3's and more room for dribble penetration.

But you're right about it being hard to afford a center after grabbing a max guy like Melo. We need to move Lee and Wallace which would require moving a hot prospect like Sully and or KO and some picks. Bass is a great bench PF for Melo though and we could even resign Hump on a better deal possibly for added depth. I'd be very comfortable keeping Bass as my main backup though.

I just think we can definitely clear our books if it was in our best interest and we didn't need every single one these picks and prospects anymore because it was time to contend.

If the books were cleared dramatically of Lee, Wallace, Brooks and Bogans,, we would have money to spend even after getting Melo and a guy like Monroe.

So here's my pipe dream team in full.

PG Rondo along with a resigned Crawford

SG Resigned Avery Bradley along with a cheap young backup maybe like Meeks or even Marshon if he develops and most importantly Ray Allen. Allen is cheap at this stage and  worth it during a playoff run!

SF Jeff Green and backup Paul Pierce but i'd take Shawn Marion if PP asks for too much or would rather play with Doc in LA.

PF Melo and Bass with some cheap added depth like Diaw or best case Hump.

Center Monroe backup is like Koustos or something cheap.

I know this whole team looks like a pipe dream and it is. But if we could clear our books using our young prospects and draft picks, it's all very possible if these guys asking prices are reasonable. No reason why we can't do salary dumps with all of our assets imo.

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, 10:49:09 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Cousins. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Cousins.
yeah i will take Cousins over Melo 1000times

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 11:21:16 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
I have some doubts that Melo will ever contend for anything. I'm starting to see him as a slightly more successful TMac

Number 1, Melo hasnt been hurt like T-Mac at all. 2, T-Mac never had anyone good to play with. 3, all this anti-Melo talk reminds me a LOT of the anti-Pierce talk circa 2007.

Melo and PP are the EXACT same player. Their games are built on deception and scoring, you bring Melo in to the C's and he will perform extremely well. No one believed that "selfish" Paul Pierce  was going to buy in, but he did. Why can't Melo? Why not Melo? Because he's been on crappy teams his whole career?
Melo is not a team player, too low BBall IQ
and will do damage to your locker room

THEY SAID ALL OF THIS STUFF ABOUT PAUL TOO.

You guys are being ridiculously hard on Melo for NO reason. Paul was seen as a selfish, me first player league wide.

Pierce's "issues" were always completely overblown. The guy has always been a team player. He took less shots per game than Walker and Davis for god's sake. That was three years before KG and Ray. Carmelo would be shooting 25 times a game on the team's Pierce has had while leading them to barely 30 wins. Pierce has and always will be a superior playmaker and passer. There really wasn't some magical transformation with Pierce, and anyone who believes that has a weird perception of the NBA and a superstar's ability to 'carry' a team. Pierce played with terrible teams for most of his career. It tilted people's perception of him in an unfair way IMO, especially in this city.

All that said, I think Rondo is a perfect mix with Melo. Watching Melo I get the feeling he's the kind if guy who would actually prefer to have someone get him the ball in his spots rather than hog the ball to find his way there. I think Rondo could manage Melo honestly so it may be okay.

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 12:14:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If I was PP and I played with an inefficient guy as AW I would be selfish too.  Melo got some guys on his team but he played the same old me first ball.

I think one area your really selling Paul short on is toughness.  Melo is not as mentally or physically as tough as PP was.  I never seen anyone talk PP out of his game.  I seen KG do it to Melo multiple times.

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 02:40:04 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
If I was PP and I played with an inefficient guy as AW I would be selfish too.  Melo got some guys on his team but he played the same old me first ball.

I think one area your really selling Paul short on is toughness.  Melo is not as mentally or physically as tough as PP was.  I never seen anyone talk PP out of his game.  I seen KG do it to Melo multiple times.

I haven't seen Melo get talked out of a game any time other than KG. There's a tonne of pressure on him in New York. He's also never had team mates that come close to KG, Ray and Rondo on his team. I mean who are the best guys he's gone to war in the playoffs with? Amare on one leg and Tyson Chandler?

Playing with Rondo takes an incredible amount of pressure off Melo- it would preserve his energy on the defensive end too.

I mean for all his issues the guy still averages 28.2 points a game last year- He can score the ball. He'd be perfect next to Green because he'd occupy the other teams best defender and  Green would have a much easier time  scoring and getting to the hole or corner three camping.

It would also mean that Melo wouldn't have to guard Lebron the whole game- Green could get the opposing teams elite wing guy.

I don't think Melo is as good an overall player as Pierce, but I think he's a great player who's been screwed by management on all his teams at every turn. He's that guy who's in between an All Star and a superstar and his 28 ppg would be fantastic.

Back to your comment on mental stability- I'd say he does have a killer instinct. He carried that team last year on that incredible run of wins and yeah, he won the scoring title didn't he? Or came second at worst. Rondo and another star would take even more pressure off Melo. Boston is also close to New York family wise for him.

If we are going to keep Rondo, at some point we are going to have to narrow the list of guys down that could team up with him in bad situations. Melo is one of those guys.

Rondo
Green
Melo

+ the right two players is a serious contender IMO.

Melo just posted his best ever numbers last season and he's 29 years old. His defense needs work but he also needs help and a little pressure relief from carrying the team every night.
We were so lucky with KG, Ray, Paul and Rondo. We had 4 guys who could take turns doing that.
Melo and Amare were never healthy enough at the same time and their game styles and usage % were a bad mix.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 03:12:45 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

I haven't seen Melo get talked out of a game any time other than KG. There's a tonne of pressure on him in New York. He's also never had team mates that come close to KG, Ray and Rondo on his team. I mean who are the best guys he's gone to war in the playoffs with? Amare on one leg and Tyson Chandler?

You are completely forgetting his Denver years. Pierce never had teammates that good early in his career. Coaching, management, and the system were all pretty top notch for the first 6 or 7 years of Carmelo's career. He really lucked out, imo, and he was never able to do anything with it. First round exit every year except once. I never thought Denver would win the championship, but they were certainly better than one and done. Carmelo barely showed up in 4 out of his first 5 seasons in the playoffs.

I agree with your general point, though. I like Carmelo's talent, and he obviously has great scoring ability. I just don't know what it would take to mentally reign him in. I think Rondo could do it but who knows.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:18:53 AM by DarkAzcura »

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 03:45:28 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

You are completely forgetting his Denver years. Pierce never had teammates that good early in his career. Coaching, management, and the system were all pretty top notch for the first 6 or 7 years of Carmelo's career. He really lucked out, imo, and he was never able to do anything with it. First round exit every year except once. I never thought Denver would win the championship, but they were certainly better than one and done. Carmelo barely showed up in 4 out of his first 5 seasons in the playoffs.

Since when did Melo get enough help during his Denver days? Let's list the notable good players (i'd leave the rest, as you know why) he played with during his time with the Nuggets and their opponents when he was "one and done" during the Playoffs.

03-04: Andre Miller, Marcus Camby, Nene (2nd year), Voshon Leonard, Earl Boykins. Lost to Minny (KG's MVP year, Sprewell, Cassell).

04-05: Miller, Leonard, Boykins, Camby, Kenyon Martin, Nene. Lost to San Antonio (eventual Champs. Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Bowen)

05-06: Miller, Boykins, Martin, Nene, Camby, Reggie Evans, Linas Kleiza. Lost to Clippers (Brand 24 ppg-10rpg), Maggette (17 ppg), Cassell (17 ppg), Mobley, Kaman)

06-07: Camby, Miller, Martin, Nene, Allen Iverson (biggest help so far, star power wise), Evans. Lost to Spurs (eventual Champions. Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Bowen)

07-08: Camby, Iverson, Martin, Nene, young JR Smith. Swept by Lakers (went to the Finals. Kobe, Pau, Lamar Odom, Fisher)

08-09: Nene, Iverson (half the season), Chauncey Billups (other half and Playoffs), Smith, Martin. Lost to Lakers (eventual Champions. Kobe, Bynum, Pau, Odom) in WCF

09-10: Nene, Aron Afflalo, Smith, Billups, rookie Ty Lawson, Martin. Lost to Utah (Deron Williams, AK47, Boozer)

10-11: With the Knicks now. Chauncey Billups, Landry Fields, Toney Douglas, Jared Jefferies (AMare injured). Lost to us (Big Three and Rondo).

11-12: Tyson Chandler, JR Smith, overweight Baron Davis, Landry Fields (you get the sarcasm), Steve Novak (Amare and Shumpert injured). Lost to the Heat (you know who they are)

12-13: Chandler, Smith, Shumpert, Felton. Lost to Indiana (Paul George, Hibbert, David West)

Out of all those times Melo was in the Playoffs and got bounced in the first round, the only times his team was probably not outmatched was the Clippers series and when he and Iverson went against the Lakers. To the rest, he went against teams with at least two All Stars, one of them being a top 10 player.

They were not better than one and done, outside of 05-06 (they can beat that Clips team) and probably 07-08 (with Iverson). Denver with Anthony was a borderline 6th-8th seed team, because he has no help. Same in New York.

Won't be the same in Boston with Rondo and a possibility of adding another high caliber player with the assets we have.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:52:46 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 06:54:35 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

Since when did Melo get enough help during his Denver days? Let's list the notable good players (i'd leave the rest, as you know why) he played with during his time with the Nuggets and their opponents when he was "one and done" during the Playoffs.

03-04: Andre Miller, Marcus Camby, Nene (2nd year), Voshon Leonard, Earl Boykins. Lost to Minny (KG's MVP year, Sprewell, Cassell).

04-05: Miller, Leonard, Boykins, Camby, Kenyon Martin, Nene. Lost to San Antonio (eventual Champs. Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Bowen)

05-06: Miller, Boykins, Martin, Nene, Camby, Reggie Evans, Linas Kleiza. Lost to Clippers (Brand 24 ppg-10rpg), Maggette (17 ppg), Cassell (17 ppg), Mobley, Kaman)

06-07: Camby, Miller, Martin, Nene, Allen Iverson (biggest help so far, star power wise), Evans. Lost to Spurs (eventual Champions. Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Bowen)

07-08: Camby, Iverson, Martin, Nene, young JR Smith. Swept by Lakers (went to the Finals. Kobe, Pau, Lamar Odom, Fisher)

08-09: Nene, Iverson (half the season), Chauncey Billups (other half and Playoffs), Smith, Martin. Lost to Lakers (eventual Champions. Kobe, Bynum, Pau, Odom) in WCF

09-10: Nene, Aron Afflalo, Smith, Billups, rookie Ty Lawson, Martin. Lost to Utah (Deron Williams, AK47, Boozer)

10-11: With the Knicks now. Chauncey Billups, Landry Fields, Toney Douglas, Jared Jefferies (AMare injured). Lost to us (Big Three and Rondo).

11-12: Tyson Chandler, JR Smith, overweight Baron Davis, Landry Fields (you get the sarcasm), Steve Novak (Amare and Shumpert injured). Lost to the Heat (you know who they are)

12-13: Chandler, Smith, Shumpert, Felton. Lost to Indiana (Paul George, Hibbert, David West)

Out of all those times Melo was in the Playoffs and got bounced in the first round, the only times his team was probably not outmatched was the Clippers series and when he and Iverson went against the Lakers. To the rest, he went against teams with at least two All Stars, one of them being a top 10 player.

They were not better than one and done, outside of 05-06 (they can beat that Clips team) and probably 07-08 (with Iverson). Denver with Anthony was a borderline 6th-8th seed team, because he has no help. Same in New York.

Won't be the same in Boston with Rondo and a possibility of adding another high caliber player with the assets we have.

TP for the summary. But I agree with your last line 100%....add 2 more all stars to relieve the pressure on him and watch that team become a top 4 contender for the next 4 years.

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2013, 08:57:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 434
He is going to LA folks
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He is going to LA folks

Unless Melo takes a pay cut, there'd be nobody on that team but Melo and Kobe.

Though I guess they'd like that so they could both take 40 shots a game.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/12/5/5178580/george-karl-carmelo-anthony-championships

this guy nails how is different than PP

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12/02/schmeelk-enough-is-enough-its-time-for-carmelo-to-be-a-leader/

leadership, PP had it.  Carmelo has me-dership

Pierce was a leader? No he wasn't. KG was the alpha male of this team clearly, before that it was 'Toine. Pierce as great as he was, he was never a leader until KG came into town.

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2013, 10:28:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/12/5/5178580/george-karl-carmelo-anthony-championships

this guy nails how is different than PP

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12/02/schmeelk-enough-is-enough-its-time-for-carmelo-to-be-a-leader/

leadership, PP had it.  Carmelo has me-dership

Pierce was a leader? No he wasn't. KG was the alpha male of this team clearly, before that it was 'Toine. Pierce as great as he was, he was never a leader until KG came into town.

I agree.  Paul took the shots, but this was KG's team from the moment he arrived here until the day he left.  KG changed the culture and the team took on his persona first and foremost.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain