Author Topic: Defense will determine C's playoff future  (Read 4121 times)

Defense will determine C's playoff future
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:14:49 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Lots of optimism on the board today, which is cool. Tough, tough day.

Here's my view - and my view only - from the film room:

The ONLY way the Celtics will extend their playoff run is by taking the level of defense played in the playoffs last year - and elevating it further.

This season ends in the second round, in my opinion, if the current level of on-again, off-again defense continues.

I'm talking every possession defense. Hand in the face on the three, switching the screens, boxing out, controlling the defensive glass defense - none of which has been happening with any degree of regularity.

I'm not talking Tony Allen locking a guy down on one possession, then leaping into the air at an upraised eyebrow on the next. I'm not talking about Kendrick Perkins and Baby Davis giving each other the "Oh, well" look when a guy slips behind them for a jam. I'm not talking about a foul a minute from Mikki Moore. I'm not talking about Leon Powe getting lost on a rotation.

I'm talking about Steph Marbury fighting through screens. I can't say I've ever seen that before now. I'm talking about the Captain refusing to concede any loose ball. I'm talking about Perkins sticking his butt in his man every time the ball goes on the glass.

No room for anything less. The margin of error was thin before. It is gone now. This team has to get serious about playing defense, and they have to get serious about it right now. No whining about fouls, no standing around on the glass, no fouls 40 feet from the hoop.

If this season is going to reach the ECF - which would be a tremendous achievement - the defense cannot rest. Not one possession.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Re: Defense will determine C's playoff future
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:17:57 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
if steph is the answer then i have a question...

can u pass that spliff....?

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Marbury's playing harder on the defensive end right now than Rondo.

The lack of defensive effort in the first half against the Sixers would have led me to snap a clipboard - for my high school team. It was certainly unacceptable for a professional club, let alone the defending champs.

If that caliber of effort continues, this season is over - in a big hurry.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:22:20 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Great few paragraphs.  They got me fired up.

Something to consider is that, while the road got tougher without Garnett, it is possible for "bad luck" type things to befall other teams as well.  Now, I am not saying that I wish anything bad personell wise on other teams, but once the playoffs start, there is a lot that can happen.  The playoffs are determined over the course of multiple games and a lot can happen to determine the outcome of those games. 

The Celtics have two things in their favor that didn't count in the regular season: (1) the refs tend to allow a rougher style of play; (2) the Celtics have experience at the high playoff level.

Again, anything can happen.  It will be tough, the odds of the Cs repeating as champs has gone down (but frankly that happened the moment KG got injured, it didn't happen yesterday or today), but we are in the mix, and that is what counts...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:27:06 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Absolutely nothing is impossible in sports. Nothing.

With that said ... the quality of a season is not necessarily defined by a championship.

You show me defensive intensity, good decision making on the offensive end and effort - I have been VERY disappointed in this club's effort down the stretch, sans Pierce, of course - then I can live with the results.

I want to defend this championship with some of the qualities that won it - not with the basketball I've been watching over the past month.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:34:27 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Let's extend the discussion to Kendrick Perkins. God, I'd love five minutes with him:

This is your coming out party, big fella. This is where you become more than a journeyman NBA center.

I need 15 boards out of you. Every single solitary night. When the ball goes on the glass, it has to be yours.

I need you spreading your base, getting down low and defending like a maniac. Every possession. Your man struggles to get every single shot. Nothing easy.

I need you to execute on the offensive end. No sloppy screens. I can't afford to have you giving away cheap fouls on the offensive end because I need you in the game.

I need you to shut your mouth. Period. Don't give away points with your mouth.

You can become a star, big fella. Right here and now.

Do you have it in you?

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:48:22 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Nice thread, Coach.  TP for sharing your analysis.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 11:04:55 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Coach, it's nice to analyze everything sometimes, but why not wait and see before waving the white flag???

Good thoughts equal good karma equal good morale. Attitude plays a big part in determining who will win and who will lose.

GO CELTICS - WORLD CHAMPIONS AGAIN IN 2009

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Let's extend the discussion to Kendrick Perkins. God, I'd love five minutes with him:

This is your coming out party, big fella. This is where you become more than a journeyman NBA center.

I need 15 boards out of you. Every single solitary night. When the ball goes on the glass, it has to be yours.

i love perk..like family....but

perk dont jump...nope

no hops...

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 11:08:53 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Chuckle. Well, being a fan doesn't require the forfeiting of what your professional experience tells you.

The odds are stacked - big time - against a repeat, which becomes almost impossible in my view if this team doesn't defend.

And it hasn't been defending at all.

Conversely, it's an opportunity as well - for Perkins, etc., to elevate their games.

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

i love perk..like family....but

perk dont jump...nope

no hops...

Ah, you think he has no hops.

Let me tell you about two years coaching girls.

Two years of "rebounding by prayer" - two arms up in the air like Touchdown Jesus.

I'm not cut out to tolerate that kind of effort on the boards.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 02:02:56 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't think defense will be key for us, but if we play great defense, we will be golden. I think with this particular group, better offensive play is a most. Too often we go through offensive droughts, and that worries me a bit. Better care of the ball, and Rondo needs to pace the game and make good decisions with the basketball. With all that said, limit offensive rebounds and we should be good.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 02:10:07 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Lots of optimism on the board today, which is cool. Tough, tough day.

Here's my view - and my view only - from the film room:

The ONLY way the Celtics will extend their playoff run is by taking the level of defense played in the playoffs last year - and elevating it further.

This season ends in the second round, in my opinion, if the current level of on-again, off-again defense continues.

I'm talking every possession defense. Hand in the face on the three, switching the screens, boxing out, controlling the defensive glass defense - none of which has been happening with any degree of regularity.

I'm not talking Tony Allen locking a guy down on one possession, then leaping into the air at an upraised eyebrow on the next. I'm not talking about Kendrick Perkins and Baby Davis giving each other the "Oh, well" look when a guy slips behind them for a jam. I'm not talking about a foul a minute from Mikki Moore. I'm not talking about Leon Powe getting lost on a rotation.

I'm talking about Steph Marbury fighting through screens. I can't say I've ever seen that before now. I'm talking about the Captain refusing to concede any loose ball. I'm talking about Perkins sticking his butt in his man every time the ball goes on the glass.

No room for anything less. The margin of error was thin before. It is gone now. This team has to get serious about playing defense, and they have to get serious about it right now. No whining about fouls, no standing around on the glass, no fouls 40 feet from the hoop.

If this season is going to reach the ECF - which would be a tremendous achievement - the defense cannot rest. Not one possession.

Just excellent.  I've got nothing to add.

The Babble needs a ghost-writer... :D

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 02:36:11 AM »

Offline kheeko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 69

I need you spreading your base, getting down low and defending like a maniac. Every possession. Your man struggles to get every single shot. Nothing easy.

I need you to execute on the offensive end. No sloppy screens. I can't afford to have you giving away cheap fouls on the offensive end because I need you in the game.

I need you to shut your mouth. Period. Don't give away points with your mouth.

You can become a star, big fella. Right here and now.

Do you have it in you?

Awesome post! (smile)

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 02:55:32 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's got it i think, and i think KG right there cheering him on gets everything out of him.