Poll

Will KG recover enough to play 5-10 mins a game in the ECF and possibly the Finals?

Yes, KG will be able to play 5-10 mins in at least one ECF game
12 (80%)
No KG is done for the year
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: KG = Willis Reed?  (Read 1525 times)

KG = Willis Reed?
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:45:37 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
     I know it apprears KG is done for the year after hearing Doc at practice today, but I honestly don't think we have seen the last of KG out on the court contributing in some capacity this season . I am calling it now KG WILL play in a playoff game this year!

Now I am not saying he will be the HOF KG because we all know he won't. If the Celtics make it to the ECF I think there is no way in hell anyone is keeping KG off the court if even for only 5 mins in a few games. As long as there no chance of long term damage done to the knee (which it appears there isn't or else they wouldn't have brought him back to play for 4 games in March) KG Will be this years Willis Reed.

In those 4 games in March when they brought KG back , I would say he was probably about 65-70%, but was still able to put up terrific numbers. His averages during those 4 games were

KG - 4 Games in March
9 PPG  4.5 rpg   1APG   0.3 TOPG  0.5 SPG   65% FG  17mpg

If KG can just play 5-10 mins even if it is only for 1 or 2 games it would give the Celtics a huge emotional lift and I absolutely see it happening. If anyone can do it , it is KG

The ECF are a month away( Starts around May 20th). That will give KG another month of rest and it will be 4 months total since he initially went on the IL . 

So who else thinks KG is going to pull a Willis Reed this year ?

Re: KG = Willis Reed?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:55:55 AM »

Offline TonyAllenisbest

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
I totally agree that KG will pull off a Willis Reed this year. By the way Doc and the Celtics have been reacting to KG's injury it seems like they are expecting him to go the full 30 minutes every game and if he can't go like that he won't go at all.  Like, he's going to play, he practices great, he's not going to play, he'll be back next week, he's out for the year, he's playing tomorrow etc.. They are practicing him for 20 minutes and then saying the knee is locking up. Why is he even practicing? Sit him until mid-May and then just put him on the court for 10 minutes. We will see then if he can go, that is when we will need him. If he couldn't practice today after 20 minutes how does that mean that 1 month from now he can't go for 10? Who cares if he can do well at practice this week.  This is KG. We paid 25 million for this guy and 5 players and every cent so far has been worth it, even if he doesn't play this year. We are still the Champs! But he is one of the Top 10 players of all-time. This isn't Greg Oden trying to comeback from an injury to be a superstar, its not Gilbert Arenas to be a franchise player. Its KG all we need him to do is pull a Willis Reed in late May or June.    HOP ON MY BACK BOYS!!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:34:12 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
First off, there isn't any chance of KG playing a game in the first round. Even though Doc has said KG is done for the playoffs, I do think he will make an appearance in the second round if it's a critical game. I'd be in disbelief if he didn't try and play in the Eastern Conference Finals. Nothing would make me happier than to see a Willis Reed type performance from Garnett.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »

Offline justice

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 9
I'm glad it seems I'm not the only one who thinks there is a real possibility KG will return to play at least some in the playoffs.

I agree, we shouldn't expect to see him for at least a few weeks (if at all), but if we happen to make it to the ECF, I think we might see him possibly chip in 25 mins here or there. It might not make a difference against Cleveland if they continue to play well, but it won't hurt our cause for sure. And you know if there isn't a risk for further damage, he will have no problem volenteering to play thru pain.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the 1st rd matchup w the Bulls and looking forward to an exciting playoff run.