Author Topic: Getting extremely annoyed....  (Read 7726 times)

Re: Getting extremely annoyed....
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Personally, I think the C's got too passive in the 4th quarter and got a bit sloppy, also.  The Pistons were playing ultra aggressively to try and get back into the game and they were able to force some bad turnovers from the C's and able to convert on the offensive end.  It's a concern but I think its something that can be remedied. Get the ball quick to half court and make quick passes to avoid the trap.  Part of the problem was some of our guys holding onto the ball too long instead of moving it, thus allowing Detroit's D to collapse.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 11:52:43 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
Totally agree, I can't stand watching 4th quarters any more.  It's like this is the time for Rondo (and others) to throw lob passes all over the court.  I know they are heavily involved in the team concept, but that does not mean to pass out of wide open shots.  It's pretty ridiculous.

What??  Do you realize what you are saying?  You have complete amnesia it seems that the C's dominated the 3rd to pull so far ahead, otherwise these situations that everyone here is annoyed by, would never be in play, as well as your disdain for "watching 4th quarters".  It is a good problem to have, to have trouble holding off a team who is desperate after having built a huge lead against them.  Does it get a bit hairy watching? I'll grant you that, but it seems as if many are just writing off the dominance through 3 that put the Celtics in the position to be shaky against the Detroit traps in the 4th in the first place.  Until and unless they blow a big lead and actually lose, I'll take going way up, and struggling to hang on all day long.  It sure would be nicer to go up and then blow out the Pistons, but somewhat unrealistic given the opponent.  Not to mention that NBA refereeing always gets looser for the team who is behind and trapping to catch up, they are given some leniency in terms of holding and grabbing on traps in that situation. 

The bottom line is, after all the runs back and forth, who gets the W.  Right now the C's have 3 of them, and only need 1 more to win the series.  Somehow, I think if the Celts manage to scrape out the 4th win in an ugly fashion, there will still be those that will be annoyed, not absolutely thrilled that they have advanced to the Finals.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 12:20:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's crazy... I was 5 years old in 1987 the last time the Celtics got this far.  Obviously too young.   This is clearly the best team we have had in 21 years.  Basically this is the best team I have ever rooted for (other than the 96 Sonics when it was impossible for me to follow Boston in the pre-internet days and I briefly started rooting for the home team here in Seattle).   And yet... I've never been so frustrated with a team.  Our best-case scenario from the start was making the ECF.  Nobody said anything about winning in the ECF.  But our 66 wins raised the level of expectations and now watching this team struggle and claw through the playoffs is maddening.  And the majority of us fans are feeling this way.  Read Bill Simmon's most recent articles... "KG Isn't Clutch" and "The Ugly Side of Ubunto".  He sums up how the majority of the Celtics fans are acting --  like a bunch of angry, frustrated, disappointed ninnies.

The sick thing is... about a year ago we were all still getting over the shock of landing the #5 pick.  A lot of the Boston fans had totally given up.  All our hopes for the entire season proceeding that lotto was that we'd land Oden and Durant... and apparently wait 5-6 years with hopes that our young core would develop into a team that might be able to make the playoffs or maybe even reach the ECF.  We had Corey Brewer to look forward to and probably an inevitable Paul Pierce trade demand.     

On the night of the draft when we brought in Ray Allen, I was furious.  I thought it was a desperation panic move.  You don't trade a #5 pick for a freaking 32 year old shooting guard on gimpy ankles.  I said that over and over and over again.   I HATED the trade.  I thought it was completely moronic.  Folks were making youtube videos depicting Danny Ainge as a toddler having his candy stolen by the Sonics.   It wasn't a popular trade.  At best we were looking at a 45 win playoff team.  Some people were holding out hope we'd be able to move Ratliff for Ak47.  Otherwise... It was a pretty disgusting move.

Then the KG thing.

Now look at this team.  It's unfathomable.   I can't freakin believe this.  We are 1 game away from playing in the finals against the Lakers?  This is un freaking believable.   There is no way... no way in hell I would have thought this was possible.  Especially considering the Bulls were going to win 50 games pre-Kobe trade... and then after the Kobe trade they'd dominate the league.    But 1 win away from Lakers/Celtics?  No way.   This is truly amazing to me.    I kind of have to step back and put things into perspective.   This is actually happening?  I'm watching the best team of my lifetime.  I might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

And I mean the last time we got this far in 1987, the team barely got by the Bucks in the 2nd round by beating them by 6 in a game 7.  Then they faced the Pistons in the ECF where they won 2, then got blown out by 18 and 26 points in the next 2, won the next game by 1 point, lost the next one and finally beat them in game 7 by 3 points.   This kinda thing happens.  This is the playoffs.  (And no I'm not comparing the 87 and 08 teams and their situations... I'm just saying that the playoffs are supposed to have ups and downs)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:26:32 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It's crazy... I was 5 years old in 1987 the last time the Celtics got this far. 
Actually, the Celts got this far just a few years ago.  Unless, you mean to put us in the finals already!  Let's not put the cart ahead of the horse.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 12:28:42 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
Just checked out the pistons site. They are all crying about the refs ha ha. They are saying that we are getting away with murder on d. Can you believe this. I don't know what game they were watching last night >:(
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 12:31:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Actually, the Celts got this far just a few years ago.  Unless, you mean to put us in the finals already!  Let's not put the cart ahead of the horse.

Lol nah.  If by "a few years ago" you are referring to that 49 win joke of a Walker/Pierce team that managed to win a couple against a Jason Kidd Nets team during what had to be considering the absolute low point of the Eastern Conference.... naaaaaaaahhhhh...     

We've won 3 games in a legit series.   That's further than winning 2 against some East coast fodder when teams like the Iverson 76ers and Vince Carter Raptors were the glory of that joke conference.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 12:44:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It is not overpassing.

It is being passive.

It is not recognizing that Detroit has changes the defense to a trapping zone that is tailored made to take out the pick and roll.  Change the offensive strategy at that point.  Attack.  Move towards the basket, not across the basket. 

Agreed, I was surprised that PP in particular was not attacking the basket in the 4th, instead messing around with the ball on the perimeter.  The only one that should do that is Ray. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 12:50:25 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Lol nah.  If by "a few years ago" you are referring to that 49 win joke of a Walker/Pierce team that managed to win a couple against a Jason Kidd Nets team during what had to be considering the absolute low point of the Eastern Conference.... naaaaaaaahhhhh...     

We've won 3 games in a legit series.   That's further than winning 2 against some East coast fodder when teams like the Iverson 76ers and Vince Carter Raptors were the glory of that joke conference.
This is true.  But if we do not move on, then it really will be no difference at all.  Results are what matter.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 12:54:36 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
Not to mention that NBA refereeing always gets looser for the team who is behind and trapping to catch up, they are given some leniency in terms of holding and grabbing on traps in that situation. 

This is the reason that they were able to come back in both games. Everyones down on the c's but there is not much you can do on offense when the refs are letting detroit get away with murder. I might be wrong unless grabing a guys throat to keep him from the rebound isn't a foul.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Personally, I think the C's got too passive in the 4th quarter and got a bit sloppy, also.  The Pistons were playing ultra aggressively to try and get back into the game and they were able to force some bad turnovers from the C's and able to convert on the offensive end.  It's a concern but I think its something that can be remedied. Get the ball quick to half court and make quick passes to avoid the trap.  Part of the problem was some of our guys holding onto the ball too long instead of moving it, thus allowing Detroit's D to collapse.   

I also think some of our guys get tired down the stretch, especially last night where the starters played 38+ minutes (which I hope doesn't come back to hurt the Cs in future games).  I know they are supposed to be professionals and it shouldn't matter, but it does.  These guys have been more or less overplayed since November and it is starting to show.  Doc couldn't have inserted House and Powe for a few more minutes in the 3rd, early fourth? 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 01:03:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

This is true.  But if we do not move on, then it really will be no difference at all.  Results are what matter.

I really don't count that Walker/Pierce team.  It was fun, but it was a 49 win team drastically overachieving in a conference that was a joke.  Everyone knew whoever came out of the East was going to be swept by the Lakers.  That's exactly what ended up happening.   It was a fun flukey ride with one great comeback game, but that was it.     This 2008 team is unquestionably the best team Boston has had since 1987 and they are in the middle of a bloodbath for the Eastern Title against an equally great opponent.  It's pretty amazing we have come this far.

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

I also think some of our guys get tired down the stretch, especially last night where the starters played 38+ minutes (which I hope doesn't come back to hurt the Cs in future games).  I know they are supposed to be professionals and it shouldn't matter, but it does.  These guys have been more or less overplayed since November and it is starting to show.  Doc couldn't have inserted House and Powe for a few more minutes in the 3rd, early fourth? 
Powe maybe but House, forget it.  He is a meltdown waiting to happen and save for a few end of quarter situations, is pretty much worthless against Detroit.  They would have eaten him alive in the fourth.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 01:38:41 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

I really don't count that Walker/Pierce team.  It was fun, but it was a 49 win team drastically overachieving in a conference that was a joke.  Everyone knew whoever came out of the East was going to be swept by the Lakers.  That's exactly what ended up happening.   It was a fun flukey ride with one great comeback game, but that was it.     This 2008 team is unquestionably the best team Boston has had since 1987 and they are in the middle of a bloodbath for the Eastern Title against an equally great opponent.  It's pretty amazing we have come this far.
Oh, I realize the difference.  I was only pointing out the fact that we have been this far more recently than 1987.  Mostly poking fun, that's all.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:44:59 PM by droopdog7 »