Author Topic: Getting extremely annoyed....  (Read 7724 times)

Getting extremely annoyed....
« on: May 29, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
...with this team's poor spacing and OVER-passing in end of game situations.

We are just dribbling right into their traps with no "outlets" for the guy being doubled to make a pass....then the pass itself is either too slow or a lob pass that has no accuracy and worst of all NO PURPOSE except just to get the ball away from the double team and they all end up being HIGH risk passes.

Another extremely annoying thing is passing up shots....to make another pass that leads to a turnover.

Brilliant.

Come on guys....this ubuntu theme is getting out of hand.

Take your shots when you get them....don't be so unselfish you are hurting your team!

Re: Getting extremely annoyed....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:01:53 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Totally agree, I can't stand watching 4th quarters any more.  It's like this is the time for Rondo (and others) to throw lob passes all over the court.  I know they are heavily involved in the team concept, but that does not mean to pass out of wide open shots.  It's pretty ridiculous.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:25:32 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Don't forget the Celts are in new waters here. This is big pressure time. Who has the experience needed for this intensity? Actually no one on the Celtics have had so much expected from them. Aside from our veteran mistakes late in games the point situation is very weak and can't handle the load yet. I don't expect performance late in games getting any
better. Rondo is erratic and Cassell is a waste. 

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 07:41:04 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
a win is a win, don't care how they happen.

we're not in this thing for style points. we need 5 more W's, and i could care less what the final 6 minutes are like as long as we end up with more points than the other team.

also, they aren't getting caught up in "the team concept" there getting caught up in playing not to lose, there's a diffrence. they stagnat when they go to the nba version of the prevent offense, I.E no matter what happens, don't take a quick shot.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 08:05:47 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'm happy we won - no question.

I just think we can do a better....a MUCH better job closing out games in the 4th.

This team is like a brand new team with the addition of PJ and Sam and maybe the chemistry isn't in sync as it was earlier on in the year but they still shouldn't be tossing the ball away left and right.

Turnovers almost cost us that game last night.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:21:50 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
We'd all love to see them closing the games out better, but work of art or not, they're not losing these games when they blow the big leads.  They're making us lose our noodles, but not the games!
Yup

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:52:31 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
That won't last against Kobe. . .

We'd all love to see them closing the games out better, but work of art or not, they're not losing these games when they blow the big leads.  They're making us lose our noodles, but not the games!

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
THe over passing does not bother me; better over passing than under passing. What bothers me are stupid or careless passes, especially by Rondo, who tries to get cute sometimes with his behind the back flips that get stolen, or his floaters, that were within a hair's breath of getting stolen several times. Rondo needs to be aggressive, but play smarter, and leave that street garbage in Lexington. HE also needs to finish stronger, he has gotten intimidated by the Pistons' physicality and shot blocking prowess.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:36:49 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
can't have it both ways, we complained about lack of ball movement and now they are moving it too much

gotta just credit the Detroit defense and hope the shots fall in game 6
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is not overpassing.

It is being passive.

It is not recognizing that Detroit has changes the defense to a trapping zone that is tailored made to take out the pick and roll.  Change the offensive strategy at that point.  Attack.  Move towards the basket, not across the basket. 

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 11:19:33 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It all starts with the PG. There's no reason for Rondo to let himself get trapped in the half court. He needs to keep being aggressive, and dribble through all these guys, and at the least get to the 3 point line.

Else, he's just there dribbling out the clock unnecessarily, he gets trapped, then someone else needs to come and help, and that person is too out of position ready for a trap to be set, and that person has less handle than Rondo does. Rondo needs to break the trap, and if he does he should be able to find open layups time and time again, but at the least get us into a good offensive motion.

Other than that, these morons need to shoot when they're open... most of our turnovers come from passing up the open shot.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
It is not overpassing.

It is being passive.

It is not recognizing that Detroit has changes the defense to a trapping zone that is tailored made to take out the pick and roll.  Change the offensive strategy at that point.  Attack.  Move towards the basket, not across the basket. 

Couldn't agree more. Wasn't it after game 3 that we all thought doc and the rest of the team would be ready for this? A trap should not be this hard to break. I don't understand whats the malfunction here. Someone is open guys, cut to the lane when trapped, you should be able to get clean open looks and easy baskets. These are professionals right? >:(
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
That won't last against Kobe. . .

Cross that bridge if/when we get there.
Yup

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 11:31:06 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm getting tired of our pick and roll offense.  I know a number of teams are effective using this style offense but it seems we are not one of them.  A pick and roll with Rondo is completely useless since the defense simply goes under the screen every time (Rondo is no threat to stop and pop).  It seems that PP would be better off going one on one since they he can't seem to handle the trap very well.   

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 11:35:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
And it is both Rondo and Pierce getting trapped. 

Scrap the pick and roll when the Pistons go to the zone.