Author Topic: shaky ball handling and passing at the stretch  (Read 4741 times)

Re: shaky ball handling and passing at the stretch
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 11:28:32 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
i was just resounding the comments of the announcers...they were all picking rondo for using dangerous LOB passes through the crucial points of the last quarter...

true ..that there might just have been one turnover...but the risks were quite high at that point....it is a good thing that the pistons didn't take advantage of the situation

When Rondo is double-teamed by Chauncey (who's taller) and Prince/Rasheed (who are both much taller) how else is he supposed to pass the ball?  He can't make a crisp pass when being doubled by those players.  Rondo is 6'1" at best so the only way to make a pass is to either split the double-team with the dribble or those lob passes.  Both options are difficult.  The solution is to avoid the pick-and-roll so you don't bring the extra defender.

Rondo shouldn't let himself get trapped in the first place... that's why he has the speed he has, and the ballhandling that he has.  The pick-and-roll is with Paul Pierce... I could care less about Rondo and his pick-and-roll. If he attacks the defense, no one should be able to trap him.

But Pierce was losing the ball with or without the pick-and-roll, simply because Rondo's man kept roaming around, so the pick-and-roll is really no issue to me. The players need to smarten up.

The Pistons have no respect for Rondo, at all, in those end of game situations, and that's how they are playing.  Until Rivers pulls Rondo or Rondo makes Detroit (and the Lakers or Spurs should Boston move on) pay for ignoring him, we're going to be seeing a lot of trapping in tight situations.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.