Author Topic: You be the coach/Posey for Perk down stretch  (Read 8674 times)

Re: You be the coach
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 12:58:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
P.S.  Good call playing only 3 big men. 

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 01:11:57 AM »

Offline flexilexi

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
also-major props to Doc for fouling at the end and not letting the Pistons tie with a 3.   

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 01:18:53 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
also-major props to Doc for fouling at the end and not letting the Pistons tie with a 3.   

yeah, excellent choice both times.... especially putting a rookie on the line and he cooperated by missing a freethrow and then hitting one that he should have purposely missed.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 01:29:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

yeah, excellent choice both times.... especially putting a rookie on the line and he cooperated by missing a freethrow and then hitting one that he should have purposely missed.

Doubly so with the Pistons having no timeouts - to me, that's the ideal time to do the "foul while up 3" move.  Stretched the game and thus my anxiety out quite a bit, but worked out nicely in the end.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 10:53:37 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Anyone else second guess Doc's small ball line-up at the end of the game? I was beside myself for a minute. Perkins was playing well. I was drooling over thought of Garnett grinding up Prince for three minutes. The two free throws following that alley-oop attempt being exhibit A.

Fear of Wallace on the perimeter?

Still a win is a win, aahhh.

I don't question the move defensively since they never took advantage of it offensively.

The question is, why didn't the post up Prince? 

Prince isn't a great post-up player (Billups and Hamilton are both better in the post).  Not to mention, i am pretty sure Posey was covering Prince (Pierce was on Stuckey, Rondo was on Billups, and Ray was on Hamilton), and although it would be easier to post up Posey than Garnett, its not like it was actually a mismatch.

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 10:55:39 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Anyone else second guess Doc's small ball line-up at the end of the game? I was beside myself for a minute. Perkins was playing well. I was drooling over thought of Garnett grinding up Prince for three minutes. The two free throws following that alley-oop attempt being exhibit A.

I don't question the move defensively since they never took advantage of it offensively.

Prince isn't a great post-up player (Billups and Hamilton are both better in the post).  Not to mention, i am pretty sure Posey was covering Prince (Pierce was on Stuckey, Rondo was on Billups, and Ray was on Hamilton), and although it would be easier to post up Posey than Garnett, its not like it was actually a mismatch.

No.  I mean why didn't KG (or Perkins) post up Prince. 

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 10:59:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Anyone else second guess Doc's small ball line-up at the end of the game?

Yeah, Posey was ineffective out there all night, really.  He didn't help much in the fourth, but at that point, Perk was gassed, and I guess Doc didn't want to rotate in anybody who had been sitting on the bench all night.

As for the "foul instead of letting them shoot" strategy, I agree that it's a good one, but it's not like it's something that Doc thought up on his own.  Any coach that allows the other team to go for a three there is a moron (and some of them do). 

(The strategy would have looked even better if Rondo hadn't fouled so early.  Good thought, poor execution).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Why Did Posey Replace Perk Down the Stretch in the 4th of Game 5?
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 11:02:46 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Does anyone understand that move?  No trying to bash Doc after a great win, because I thought he did a good job (except for that last substitution).  Maybe that was the right move and I'm just not understanding it, but I couldn't figure out why he would want Posey over Perk down the stretch when Perk was arguable the best player on the floor for a large part of the game and Posey hadn't been doing anything (except for one 3 pointer).  Perk outscored, outhustled, outrebounded Posey, so what was Posey's purpose in the 4th?  With the way Perk was playing there was no way I would have taken Perk out of the game.  I thought we needed Perk down the stretch for defense and key rebounds.  Luckily the Celtics held on.

Was using Posey down the stretch the right move and why?  I don't like it and hope not to see it anymore in the playoffs.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Why Did Posey Replace Perk Down the Stretch in the 4th of Game 5?
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Does anyone understand that move?  No trying to bash Doc after a great win, because I thought he did a good job (except for that last substitution).  Maybe that was the right move and I'm just not understanding it, but I couldn't figure out why he would want Posey over Perk down the stretch when Perk was arguable the best player on the floor for a large part of the game and Posey hadn't been doing anything (except for one 3 pointer).  Perk outscored, outhustled, outrebounded Posey, so what was Posey's purpose in the 4th?  With the way Perk was playing there was no way I would have taken Perk out of the game.  I thought we needed Perk down the stretch for defense and key rebounds.  Luckily the Celtics held on.

Was using Posey down the stretch the right move and why?  I don't like it and hope not to see it anymore in the playoffs.

I think it is the right move if you are not going to take advantage of the size on offense. 

If the Celtics did what they should of, (post up Prince every time down the floor) and were making those baskets; then the move would have been bad.

But since they were still running the pick and roll, the speed issue on the defensive end was a bad matchup for the Celtics.

Re: You be the coach/Posey for Perk down stretch
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 11:13:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My understanding of the Posey substitution had absolutely nothing to do with small ball. Perkins was the worse free throw shooter on the court and Doc simply removed him because he didn't want Detroit to start purposely fouling Perk off the ball to send him to the line.

It was obvious that it was going to get into a free throw shooting contest very quickly and I thought the move was good. Besides, Wallace was playing out at the three point line on the Detroit offensive sets late so we really only needed one big in anyways.

I thought it was a smart move, looked at in the context that I saw it.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 11:26:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
My understanding of the Posey substitution had absolutely nothing to do with small ball. Perkins was the worse free throw shooter on the court and Doc simply removed him because he didn't want Detroit to start purposely fouling Perk off the ball to send him to the line.

It was obvious that it was going to get into a free throw shooting contest very quickly and I thought the move was good. Besides, Wallace was playing out at the three point line on the Detroit offensive sets late so we really only needed one big in anyways.

I think with two minutes left, it was probably too early for that particular strategy.  Perk shoots around 65% from the line; I'll take that over the empty possessions the Celts were coming away with at the end of the game.

But again, I don't blame Doc for trying to get Perk some rest at the beginning of the fourth, or for taking him out at the end.  He didn't score a point or grab a rebound in the 7 minutes he played in the fourth, and he committed two fouls and had a tech.  He had a great game, but he was losing his touch a bit at the end.

I truly appreciate Doc playing the starters heavy minutes this game.  For Game 6, though, I think he has to find brief moments of rest for some of the guys, particularly Perk and Rondo.  Not much, but a little more than in Game 5.  I'd suggest giving those spot minutes to Eddie and Powe.  Overall, though, the strategy of riding our starters is a good one.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 11:34:03 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

I think with two minutes left, it was probably too early for that particular strategy.  Perk shoots around 65% from the line; I'll take that over the empty possessions the Celts were coming away with at the end of the game.

But again, I don't blame Doc for trying to get Perk some rest at the beginning of the fourth, or for taking him out at the end.  He didn't score a point or grab a rebound in the 7 minutes he played in the fourth, and he committed two fouls and had a tech.  He had a great game, but he was losing his touch a bit at the end.

I truly appreciate Doc playing the starters heavy minutes this game.  For Game 6, though, I think he has to find brief moments of rest for some of the guys, particularly Perk and Rondo.  Not much, but a little more than in Game 5.  I'd suggest giving those spot minutes to Eddie and Powe.  Overall, though, the strategy of riding our starters is a good one.

I thought that Boston changing the offense in the second half, and completely ignoring Perkins, was a huge mistake.  He went from dominating the Pistons to being a non-factor.  How much of that was Perkins being tired, how much was Rivers deliberate strategy, and how much was the other players just not getting him the ball is something I'd be very interested in hearing about.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 11:34:57 AM »

Offline jhog3411

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think Posey substituted for Perk because, as has been said, he is a poor free throw shooter.  Also Perk was gassed.  He was too fired up (the technical) and did not have a single point or rebound in the fourth so he was ineffective.  I though the whole team was tired at the end of the fourth.  All the starters played 39+ minutes, including Pierce with 44 and Rondo 46, in an intense physical game.  They had to play that much to take control of the game but it didn't leave them with much at the end.  I'm glad they had just enough to hang on.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 11:39:21 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

No.  I mean why didn't KG (or Perkins) post up Prince. 

OOOHHH, I think that had more to do with execution than planning.  Detroits trapping really took the C's out of their offense, and they were spending their time just trying to get the ball to anyone who was not trapped in a corner, rather than actually trying to get a good shot.

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 11:39:50 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I was at the game and I was actaully sitting a row behind Perk's girl friend and little Perk at the time. We all was like why is Doc taking Perk out because if we miss a shot who was going to get the rebound.  Perk was getting rebound and I question the move because Perk was play so good and they had Prince in the game at Center.  I would have went at Prince.  Doc got away with making a questionable move only because the Cs won the game, it was still a bad move on Doc part.