Author Topic: Powe in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter  (Read 29931 times)

Re: Powe in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 01:07:12 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Powe did little in the few minutes he was in, but Davis was much worse in the minutes he played.  Bottom line, other than PJ, the bech was horrible tonight.

It is time to either play just three big men or activate Scali. 

Neither Powe or Davis are doing anything on defense.

This here is the key.  Powe was sat down after completely blowing his rotation in the first half (he had been slow on the rotation a couple times before, but then completely missed it right before he was benched). 

The Pistons are a team that you can't afford not to rotate on.  They have too many guys who can kill you if left open.

He wasn't the only one. But he was the only one benched because of it.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 01:10:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Powe did little in the few minutes he was in, but Davis was much worse in the minutes he played.  Bottom line, other than PJ, the bech was horrible tonight.

This here is the key.  Powe was sat down after completely blowing his rotation in the first half (he had been slow on the rotation a couple times before, but then completely missed it right before he was benched). 

The Pistons are a team that you can't afford not to rotate on.  They have too many guys who can kill you if left open.

You can't bench the whole team, and  again, Powe hasn't been doing much anyways at what he is good at. Also, most of our defensive problems tonight weren't because of lack of defensive rotations, and those are the types of mistakes Powe does the most.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 01:50:10 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Doc's leash is too short with Powe. BBD is useless out there - too slow to help on defense with his rotations and too earth bound to finish when he gets the ball. So Powe made a mental mistake - Ray Allen has been screwing up for a few weeks now and he got to stay out there. Powe deserves a little slack with his excellent play this year..

Pete

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 03:13:14 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Doc's leash is too short with Powe. BBD is useless out there - too slow to help on defense with his rotations and too earth bound to finish when he gets the ball. So Powe made a mental mistake - Ray Allen has been screwing up for a few weeks now and he got to stay out there. Powe deserves a little slack with his excellent play this year..

Pete

I agree BBD is much more hit or miss. I thought Powe was out of the doghouse   from early in the year but he is right back in it.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 06:00:13 AM »

Offline TheShowPowe

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Why is everyone talking like Leon has been playing? I keep seeing people talking about how Leon has been playing. He hasn't been playing at all so there is nothing to grade. He played 2 minuets and 33 seconds last night! A lot of you are grading him like he's playing 20 minuets and is just unproductive. He's not stepping on the floor for more than the amount of time it takes me to walk to my kitchen and back. This is a young guy with a short leash that can't play loose because his coach won't let him. Leon has showed over and over and over again that if he is given some playing time that he can be a very affective bench player. Why does everyone have such short memories. Leon came off the bench when the Celtics were cold so many times and gave a spark. He had so many huge games even with a little amount of playing time. Now he gets thrown under the bus by his own coach when he makes one mistake.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 06:08:45 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I agree. More Leon please. Big Baby really isn't getting anything done, and Powe was very effective during the season.
Another thing- Detroit doesn't have any monsters the size of Z, so Leon should be able to score inside if he's in there.
And the "energy" factor is real. Last night the Pistons seemed to get every important rebound- probably just my imagination, I don't have the stats- but every time the C's got close, the Pistons would get an offensive rebound.
Anyway, tough choice for Doc if neither guy is producing, but thank goodness PJ has been solid. 

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 08:28:25 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
It's just such a small sample -- play a guy for two minutes, he makes a mistake, and he gets yanked.  For young players, that total uncertainty about playing time makes it hard to perform.  This is what people have said about Doc all year, it is not just a Powe thing. 

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 08:30:35 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
How is he supposed to do what he does best with such a short amount of time?  Give him a chance!

You can't bench the whole team, and  again, Powe hasn't been doing much anyways at what he is good at. Also, most of our defensive problems tonight weren't because of lack of defensive rotations, and those are the types of mistakes Powe does the most.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 09:10:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It's just such a small sample -- play a guy for two minutes, he makes a mistake, and he gets yanked.  For young players, that total uncertainty about playing time makes it hard to perform.  This is what people have said about Doc all year, it is not just a Powe thing. 

I said what I said because the using 5 big men doesn't work. 

Give more minutes to Perkins and Brown.  Both are better defenders.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
I see your point.  It just seems like sometimes when the Celtics need an energy lift and are not getting loose balls, that's a great time for Powe.  Or at least it was in the regular season.

I said what I said because the using 5 big men doesn't work. 

Give more minutes to Perkins and Brown.  Both are better defenders.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
How is he supposed to do what he does best with such a short amount of time?  Give him a chance!

This is the playoffs...in the playoffs, bench guys can't be given a long leash to be "given a chance". 

Powe has been given a chance throughout the first two series (and game 1).  Through that time, he has had 1 good game (against Atlanta).  The rest of the time, he has given the team nothing on offense, and has been constantly missing the play on defense.

Big Baby has been inconsistent, but he at least makes the right rotation more times than not.  Considering neither of them is giving them anything on offense, you have to go with Baby, because of his better understanding defensively.

Although what they really need to do is go with a 3 man big rotation, as others have pointed out.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I also think, outside of Powe, to many bench guys have to long of a leash.

Specifically Tony Allen and Davis. 

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 10:10:09 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

This is the playoffs...in the playoffs, bench guys can't be given a long leash to be "given a chance". 

Powe has been given a chance throughout the first two series (and game 1).  Through that time, he has had 1 good game (against Atlanta).  The rest of the time, he has given the team nothing on offense, and has been constantly missing the play on defense.

Big Baby has been inconsistent, but he at least makes the right rotation more times than not.  Considering neither of them is giving them anything on offense, you have to go with Baby, because of his better understanding defensively.

Although what they really need to do is go with a 3 man big rotation, as others have pointed out.

I'd also love to see a three big man rotation, the only problem is that we'd see quite a lot of Perk and Brown together, I don't know if that's a smart thing to do. We'd be really slow with players that aren't spectacular offensive players.  The other thing would be playing small from time to time.

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I'd also love to see a three big man rotation, the only problem is that we'd see quite a lot of Perk and Brown together, I don't know if that's a smart thing to do. We'd be really slow with players that aren't spectacular offensive players.  The other thing would be playing small from time to time.

It is good defensively.  It is good on the boards.

Brown will be outside the paint on offense looking to hit open jumpers. 

And let's be honest, neither Powe or Davis are creating offense. 

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 10:29:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I also think, outside of Powe, to many bench guys have to long of a leash.

Specifically Tony Allen and Davis. 

I wouldn't agree with that in general...but for last night, it seemed to be the case.

I would also throw Eddie House in there as well.  He has been completely useless in the first two games of this series. 

I know I have been a Doc supporter, and I still am to a point...but he really needs to get a faster trigger finger with some of these guys.