Author Topic: Powe in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter  (Read 29932 times)

Re: Powe in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2008, 05:15:05 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
I can see giving Powe a chance.  He and Kendrick Perkins just might provide us with some desperately-needed points in the paint. 

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2008, 05:27:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If Garnett hadn't gotten hurt during the regular season, Rivers would not have played Powe period.  He had coached Powe for a year and a half and Rivers still didn't know what Powe was/is capable of doing.  As far as how Rivers is handling Powe during the playoffs.....he's screwing up Powe and I don't think Rivers has a clue.  Powe is not the answer to the Celtics winning the whole thing but he can certainly contribute.  If Powe fails, fine but he's not doing any worse than anybody else. All I'm asking is a chance for Powe to either succeed or fail.  I think he's at least earned that given what he's done during the regular season and even the playoffs when given some time and how the Celtics' bench has faired recently. 

Actually, Powe joined the rotation 4 games before Garnett went down.  Garnett getting hurt just upped his playing time from about 15 minutes per game to 30 minutes per game, but Doc was playing him before then.

Did you ever think that maybe, Powe just improved in practice over the first few months to earn his playing time?

I think Powe definitely earned his playing time, which is why I think he should be in the game before Davis. We havent seen enough of Powe to determine if its a bad matchup or not, so I'm not sure why you claim Doc just knows he is a bad matchup against these Pistons. If Davis was playing well, I wouldn't be calling for Powe, but the bottom line is that we have lost two out of the last three games and Glen Davis hasen't done anything in my opinion to continue to get minutes over Powe.

The Pistons have numerous flaws too, it might take a banger like Powe to expose them.

Which is why Powe will likely be back in the rotation either tonight, or next game if Davis does not perform better.

Like I have said, I believe there is a rationale to putting Davis in over Powe, because of the matchup.  I think Doc did the right thing by giving Powe the chance to prove this rationale wrong at the beginning of the series, however, in that time, Powe made the exact mistakes that Doc was afraid of, so he moved on.

Now that Davis has not shown to be much better (he has played better defense, but has struggled in the rest of the game enough to warrant giving Powe another try), it would make sense that Powe would be given another shot to take a firmer hold on the position.

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
That seems a little much, to say you lack respect for someone and go off on their life, etc.

To try to shift the conversation back to a less personal note, in what situations would you not support Doc 100%?  If Doc was, in fact, a bad coach, or if you were trying to figure out if he was a good coach or a bad coach, what metrics would you use to figure that out?

Wins and losses are only part of it.  You could have a great coach with a bad team that does poorly and a bad coach with a great team that does very well.  The question is the contribution of the coach in comparison to the contribution of an average coach in that situation.

So how do you arrive at the conclusion that Doc is doing a good job?  If you thought Doc was wrong, how would you arrive at that conclusion?

I think you've got me all wrong (no personal attacks here seeing as how I don't actually know anybody here), but your post was geniune so i'm happy to address all points.

Firsly, all I was saying was that I have no respect for ANYONE (not that one poster specifically, but ANYONE) who CONSTANTLY second guesses EVERYTHING. Period.

Additionally, since the poster I was conversing with admitted that he belives there's nothing wrong with constantly second guessing, I inquired into his philosophy further asking if he/she does the same thing with such things as spouce, career, etc... Again, I do not know the person i'm talking with so i don't know if they have a spouce or have a career, but I just wanted to see if he/she was as consistent with second guessing everything in life as s/he is with second guessing Doc.

Q & A Time!

Q: "in what situations would you not support Doc 100%?"

A: As long as he's Boston's head coach my answer is NEVER. You see, I have always believed in Danny Ainge, who in turn believes in Doc, therefore I believe in Doc and every decision he makes (right or wrong).

Q: "If Doc was, in fact, a bad coach, or if you were trying to figure out if he was a good coach or a bad coach, what metrics would you use to figure that out?"

A: My philosophy is that much like fine wine, all coaches get better with age. With that being said, Doc led the 99/00 Magic to a 41-41 record and the Playoffs with not one single superstar (starting lineup: Darryl Armstrong, Ron Mercer, Ben Wallace, Bo Outlaw, and Tariq Abdul-Wahad).

Shoot, i have to run but i'll be back to finish this post.

"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2008, 09:52:22 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Lets give first half credit where it is due.  Wdleehi was totally correct in his prediction of a 3 big lineup and no minutes for Powe and Davis.  The activation of Scalabrine is also interesting since Wdleehi suggested since he is used to playing limited minutes maybe he wouldn't be a bad idea for 3-5 minutes.

« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Lets give first half credit where it is due.  Wdleehi was totally correct in his prediction of a 3 big lineup and no minutes for Powe and Davis.  The activation of Scalabrine is also interesting since Wdleehi suggested since he is used to playing limited minutes maybe he wouldn't be a bad idea for 3-5 minutes.

Mr. W is  Doc Rivers neighbor/ stalker   ;D
Man Nice prediction.
I wish I can see Scal next game for 5 minutes during 6th game , meanwhile we are beating Detroit by 20 with 4 left in the 4th.

BTW

Please try not to be personal on this thread I saw a couple of posts and are simply ugly, try to keep it civil.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:06:50 AM by Edgar »
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!