Author Topic: NBA showcases three Celtics having great handles…  (Read 3041 times)

NBA showcases three Celtics having great handles…
« on: August 14, 2022, 02:21:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Boston Celtics have some players on their roster with some pretty good handles, good enough to get three of their stars featured in a new video released by the NBA highlighting the best examples of elite basketball control in the recent 2021-22 season.

And you might be surprised by the inclusion of one of the trio of Celtics players given all the flack he got from fans for his loose handle in the postseason, a one Jaylen Brown. Alongside Boston’s Marcus Smart and Jayson Tatum, the Georgia native is featured prominently in the clip showing off the best handles in action from last season.

Sorry, but no.  I love JB.  He does not have a terrific handle.

https://youtu.be/k7KpeLmmA28

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: NBA showcases three Celtics having great handles…
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 02:40:30 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
He has a sloppy handle overall but he does have some highlight reel plays where it comes together for him.  So I'm not too surprised that he'd show up on a list like this. 

EDIT TO ADD:  Poking through this list a bit, I'm a little mad that Tatum's play against Brooklyn is only at 23.  I don't think that editor realized how nasty that move really was, especially given that it's the closing moments of a really close game and the guy is working on a 50-piece.  Should have been easy top 10 in my opinion. 

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 02:45:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think his handle is better than 95% of the league. Maybe more. Most of his turnovers are not due to a bad handle but due to bad decision making. Make better decisions, which lead to so many less turnovers and everyone would rave about his handle. I actually think he has a better handle than Tatum. Tatum makes better decisions.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 02:48:40 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Celticsblog really hates their own players.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 02:59:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
The Boston Celtics have some players on their roster with some pretty good handles, good enough to get three of their stars featured in a new video released by the NBA highlighting the best examples of elite basketball control in the recent 2021-22 season.

And you might be surprised by the inclusion of one of the trio of Celtics players given all the flack he got from fans for his loose handle in the postseason, a one Jaylen Brown. Alongside Boston’s Marcus Smart and Jayson Tatum, the Georgia native is featured prominently in the clip showing off the best handles in action from last season.

Better than KD  :P …. :o

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 03:02:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Does “hate” mean not over-inflating the talents of our players?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 03:06:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think his handle is better than 95% of the league. Maybe more. Most of his turnovers are not due to a bad handle but due to bad decision making. Make better decisions, which lead to so many less turnovers and everyone would rave about his handle. I actually think he has a better handle than Tatum. Tatum makes better decisions.

A top-20ish handle?  I just don’t see it. He’s improved his handle, but it’s still in the realm of average for a guard / wing.

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 03:34:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

This must be coming from some rival franchises trying to encourage Jaylen to keep trying to dribble through traffic, right?

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 03:38:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
I thought Pritchard had the best handle on the team.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 04:00:20 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799

So did I....
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 04:44:56 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

He probably does but this isn't a ranking really.  Just a highlight reel.  And while Pritchard has a tight handle, he doesn't have the quickness or explosion to do anything flashy with it. 

He's never done anything as highlight-worthy as Jaylen's crossovers or Smart's ankle-breaker or Tatum's in and out clown-the-whole-Nets-organization move, so he's not going to show up on a reel like this. 

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 04:51:04 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

I mean come on, can you just sit back and bask in the recognition the players are getting? It's not that big of a deal but Celticsblog just wants to put their own players down.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2022, 06:14:42 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
This is a joke, right? Did they not watch the NBA Finals where JB tried to imitate MJ in the final three games, and just kept turning the ball over and over as we lost three in a row for the first (and hopefully only) time in 2022? You don’t turn the ball over like that as frequently as JB did by having an elite handle. JB is a very good two-way player, but his handle is clearly below average for his position. The last thing we need is JB thinking he’s got this amazing handle and can write checks his handle cannot cash—that’s one of the foremost reasons why we lost those last three games to Golden State.

Smart did improve his handle, but he’s basically got an average handle for a PG. JT may have an above average handle for a 3/4–and probably has the best handle among our starting five—but that is not something to write home about.

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2022, 06:23:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I mean come on, can you just sit back and bask in the recognition the players are getting? It's not that big of a deal but Celticsblog just wants to put their own players down.

I don't find it that interesting to pretend make believe is true.  This is a discussion forum, and we tend to discuss strengths and weaknesses, times when our players are underrated and overrated, etc.  It comes with the package.

We've got a pep rally thread for those who want to be ra-ra all the time, though.

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 06:39:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

He probably does but this isn't a ranking really.  Just a highlight reel.  And while Pritchard has a tight handle, he doesn't have the quickness or explosion to do anything flashy with it. 

He's never done anything as highlight-worthy as Jaylen's crossovers or Smart's ankle-breaker or Tatum's in and out clown-the-whole-Nets-organization move, so he's not going to show up on a reel like this.

I wasn't thinking of highlights but least turnovers...