Author Topic: Where does Jaylen rank among SGs?  (Read 2831 times)

Where does Jaylen rank among SGs?
« on: August 01, 2022, 09:33:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hoophype's opinion:

1. Devin Booker
2. Donovan Mitchell
3. Jaylen Brown
4. Zach Lavine
5. Anthony Edwards
6. Bradley Beal

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-top-25-shooting-guards/

Do you agree?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Where does Jaylen rank among SGs?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 09:40:10 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Seems reasonable, although it shows how nebulous “shooting guard” is as a position, because Jaylen and Mitchell play very different positions for their teams.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 09:41:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
tough call.  Jaylen's defense is the best of anyone they've listed at the top and his offense is pretty good as well.  No denying Booker and Mitchell (and Beal) are more reliable scorers overall but better overall is debatable.   

not a shocking list that generates questions of the author's bball knowledge but I don't see a big gap between the top 3 players.  maybe that's just me.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 10:08:09 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If this is projecting next season, LaVine ahead of Edwards and Beal seems a bit strange to me. 

They also have Poole ahead of Klay, which is just crazy town. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 10:32:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would have Jaylen #2. He's more efficient and a much better rebounder and defender than Mitchell which more than compensates for Mitchell's better passing.

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 10:34:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would have Jaylen #2. He's more efficient and a much better rebounder and defender than Mitchell which more than compensates for Mitchell's better passing.

I agree.  They're different players, obviously.

And, being biased, I'd rather have JB than Booker, haha.  Better defense and fewer Kardashians.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 10:44:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Jaylen as a shooting guard can credibly guard power forwards, even shut some good ones down(see Siakam, P., 2020 playoffs). Please point me to the other top level SGs that can do that.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 10:58:30 AM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Well, here's my list.  Will Klay Thompson be completely healthy this coming season??
Tough to know, plus, I think it is important how they fit on their team, chemistry is huge.

1. Devin Booker
2. Jaylen Brown
3. Bradley Beal
4. Donovan Mitchell
5. Anthony Edwards
6. Klay Thompson

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 10:59:57 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't think Boston would become better by trading Jaylen for any of those players.  Only case I could make is maybe Ant Edwards.

Which guys on that list would not be traded by their current teams for Jaylen?  Booker, Klay, probably Mitchell?, probably Edwards.  Probably CJ McCollum too b/c of his role there.  CJ really impressed me last few months.

I'd rank them:
1. Booker
2. Jaylen
3. Mitchell
4. Edwards
5. Lavine
6. CJ
7. Klay
8. Beal

Then a dropoff.  Those top 8 guys are all pretty close to me.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 11:40:18 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Hoophype's opinion:

1. Devin Booker
2. Donovan Mitchell
3. Jaylen Brown
4. Zach Lavine
5. Anthony Edwards
6. Bradley Beal

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-top-25-shooting-guards/

Do you agree?

If we are taking into consideration both defense and offense, shouldn’t JB be #1? Booker doesn’t play defense, Mitchell is a 6’1” guard, so he’s not great on that end. Edwards has a lot of upside to be a very good two way player with his size, strength and athleticism, but he’s not there yet.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 11:48:17 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Decent list but maybe I’m not a believer in Mitchell lol and I also think Edwards is so good.

1. Booker
2. Brown
3. Edwards
4. Mitchell
5. Beal
6. Lavine

Wouldn’t surprise me if Anthony Edwards surpasses Jaylen this year actually.

- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 11:48:49 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Jaylen as a shooting guard can credibly guard power forwards, even shut some good ones down(see Siakam, P., 2020 playoffs). Please point me to the other top level SGs that can do that.

This is why I question whether Jaylen is actually a shooting guard.  Defensively he’s a 3.  Offensively he’s more of a 3 too.  That the Celtics have two such starters (the other being Tatum) doesn’t make Jaylen actually a 2.

Put another way — look at that top 6 Roy put out.  If Jaylen played on any of the teams with the others, he’d be the 3 every time.  Do that thought experiment with the others and you aren’t going to find someone else who always comes out as the 3. 

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 01:23:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

This is why I question whether Jaylen is actually a shooting guard.  Defensively he’s a 3.  Offensively he’s more of a 3 too.  That the Celtics have two such starters (the other being Tatum) doesn’t make Jaylen actually a 2.

Put another way — look at that top 6 Roy put out.  If Jaylen played on any of the teams with the others, he’d be the 3 every time.  Do that thought experiment with the others and you aren’t going to find someone else who always comes out as the 3.
You could say the same thing about the greatest SG ever. A couple of the greatest SFs ever could have the same thing said about being PFs. But if they play where they play, they are what they are.

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 01:35:12 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
His better days are behind him, but isn't James Harden a SG? How did he not make the top 25 list?

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2022, 01:38:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

You could say the same thing about the greatest SG ever. A couple of the greatest SFs ever could have the same thing said about being PFs. But if they play where they play, they are what they are.

Yeah, you can debate this all day, is Smart a PG, is Tatum a PF, and so on.  Many players have the versatility to be more than one thing.

In Brown's case, I see him as a wing.  In my mind, there are guards that are wings and there are forwards that are wings.  And there are guards that are clearly not wings (White, Smart for example) and there are forwards who are power forwards and clearly not wings (Grant, Gallinari, maybe Horford).  But in between this are guards that are wings and forwards that are wings.

I totally accept that Brown's natural position is guard wing or shooting guard and that Tatum's natural position is forward wing or small forward.  The natural position is the position where you are going to get the most out of a player, definitely not the only position a player can play.

Many people comment that the old standard 5 positions don't apply anymore.  I disagree to an extent, I think they still apply, they just don't always tell the whole story.  To have to say a player is either a PG or a SG, for example, doesn't always work.  Smart and White are both combo guards in my mind.  They can play either PG or SG while never really playing either.  The line between PF and C is equally blurry.  Horford isn't really either while being both.