Author Topic: The French football (soccer) team should be ashamed  (Read 30281 times)

Re: The French football (soccer) team should be ashamed
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »

Offline mrkelly

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
As an Irish guy... I'm very mad. (Didn't know I couldn't use that word)

As a soccer fan and former player... it doesn't bother me so much. There is no reason for Henry to apologize, as he said, he is not the ref. The ref blew the call.

I took a dive one time out of all my time playing soccer. (About 12 years) It was an indoor game, and I was in the box and got a penalty shot and scored. I don't really regret it, it's part of the game. I actually wish I took more falls so I could have taken more penalty shots. I went 1 for 1 in penalty shots. The coaches son, my co-captain, took atleast 2 falls a game for 3 straight years and probably made 2 of his penalty shots.

I don't really condone cheating in sports... but in soccer it is part of the game and people need to adapt to that.

First of all, Henry's disgrace doesn't end with his apology. He claims that he told the referee that he handled the ball and the ref shrugged him away. While in reality it's clear Henry is celebrating instead of, as he claims, informing the ref.

Second, I too, have played the game for over 12 years. From club level abroad, to college soccer in the US, to pickup games with mates since I graduated.

Diving is cheating, it's not part of the game, regardless of how players like Didier Drogba or Cristiano Ronaldo try to make it seem. It's a disease that is taking the beautiful game and turning into a Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.ization of it's former self. There is no class anymore, the big money has turned the games into must win scenarios, and that's where the cheating begins.

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

As a soccer fan and former player... it doesn't bother me so much. There is no reason for Henry to apologize, as he said, he is not the ref. The ref blew the call.

I took a dive one time out of all my time playing soccer. (About 12 years) It was an indoor game, and I was in the box and got a penalty shot and scored. I don't really regret it, it's part of the game. I actually wish I took more falls so I could have taken more penalty shots. I went 1 for 1 in penalty shots. The coaches son, my co-captain, took atleast 2 falls a game for 3 straight years and probably made 2 of his penalty shots.

I don't really condone cheating in sports... but in soccer it is part of the game and people need to adapt to that.

First of all, Henry's disgrace doesn't end with his apology. He claims that he told the referee that he handled the ball and the ref shrugged him away. While in reality it's clear Henry is celebrating instead of, as he claims, informing the ref.

Second, I too, have played the game for over 12 years. From club level abroad, to college soccer in the US, to pickup games with mates since I graduated.

Diving is cheating, it's not part of the game, regardless of how players like Didier Drogba or Cristiano Ronaldo try to make it seem. It's a disease that is taking the beautiful game and turning into a ****ization of it's former self. There is no class anymore, the big money has turned the games into must win scenarios, and that's where the cheating begins.

1. You yourself just said there is no class in the game anymore, proving my point that it is now "part of the game".

2. I never said diving is not cheating... of course it is. I know I cheated... that's why I only did it once.

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Most active soccer/football thread ever?

I think we have a couple 20+ pagers on here, Redz.

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2009, 07:53:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Most active soccer/football thread ever?

I think we have a couple 20+ pagers on here, Redz.

edit: Most I've ever paid attention to a soccer thread?  ;)
Yup

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2009, 08:03:39 PM »

Offline mrkelly

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

1. You yourself just said there is no class in the game anymore, proving my point that it is now "part of the game".

2. I never said diving is not cheating... of course it is. I know I cheated... that's why I only did it once.

Yeah, maybe you're right, maybe it is part of the game now. It doesn't excuse it though. Remember the days when you'd play out in the park with your mates? You didn't have to fall over and ask for a pen because enjoying the game was the reason you were there.

I understand that on a professional level the stakes are higher, but still, what has gone on in recent years is inexcusable. It's only getting worse it seems.

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2009, 08:09:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Yeah, maybe you're right, maybe it is part of the game now. It doesn't excuse it though. Remember the days when you'd play out in the park with your mates? You didn't have to fall over and ask for a pen because enjoying the game was the reason you were there.

I understand that on a professional level the stakes are higher, but still, what has gone on in recent years is inexcusable. It's only getting worse it seems.

We humans have a tendency to suck the joy out of most anything the longer we try to get better at it.  High stakes competition corrupts, and the crappy thing is competition at its purest level, with no stakes other than the competition itself, is one of the truly great human experiences.
Yup

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2009, 08:14:28 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

We humans have a tendency to suck the joy out of most anything the longer we try to get better at it.  High stakes competition corrupts, and the crappy thing is competition at its purest level, with no stakes other than the competition itself, is one of the truly great human experiences.

Agreed, mrkelly... here is your first tommy point.

Redz, you get one as well for spending so much time in the soccer forum.

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2009, 08:14:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm basically a World Cup only follower of football and even I know that diving and hand balls(if you can get away with it) and purposeful sweep tackles to intentionally hurt a player are all part of the game. It's all cheating and against the spirit of the game, but come on. It's been a part of every World Cup I've watched over the last 16 years or so(okay this will only be my 5th WC but, even so).

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2009, 08:20:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Agreed, mrkelly... here is your first tommy point.

Redz, you get one as well for spending so much time in the soccer forum.

You'll notice I have zero soccer insight to offer, but the whole "cheating to win" discussion is an interesting one.
Yup

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

I agree.  This is a different kind of cheating though.  It's cheating within the game.  It's not like cheating with steroids in baseball.  It would be like if Paul Pierce took a flop to get a charge in the last seconds of a game, and we won because he took that charge.  No one on this board would be complaining, they'd be calling it a savvy veteran move.  That's what this was with Henry.  Did he break the rules of the game?  Absolutely, but it's not Henry's job to blow to the whistle, it's the officials.  Everyone in every sport cheats, everyone's trying to get that competitive edge somehow.  Also, to all whom believe Henry should be suspended or off the French team, let's get serious?  He committed a handball, regardless of what became of the handball, he committed a handball.   He didn't show an attempt to hurt anyone, I've seen plenty of bad fouls that may have warranted a red card that didn't occur.  Henry doesn't deserve any sort of penalty.
do it

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2009, 09:35:18 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
It's really horrible and unfair that a game was decided this way, but honestly, there are hand balls that go uncalled all the time ... and many other fouls that are unseen by the officials. I really wanted Ireland to win, but it was not France's fault that the officials didn't see the foul or make the call. The angst here should be directed at the officials, not France.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2009, 10:11:09 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
When Joey Porter complained about Brady saying there is a "Brady rule", Brady admitted that he will point out some plays to get flags in favor of our team.  Especially 'roughing the passer' calls.  So, is Brady cheating?  Like Brady explained, you will play with what the game allows you to.  The same goes for this instance.  If the ref allowed it to happen, what's Henry to do?  Say it doesn't count?  Take the goal back?  Nope.  The same goes with Pierce.  Pierce does the fake shot, then leans into the player while he is in the air, get fouled, then shoot the ball.  Is that cheating?  All these guys, no matter what player, no matter what team, no matter what sport, they will play and do whatever it's necessary to win the game as long as they get away with it.  It's the refs job to keep things fair.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2009, 10:18:53 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

I agree.  This is a different kind of cheating though.  It's cheating within the game.  It's not like cheating with steroids in baseball.  It would be like if Paul Pierce took a flop to get a charge in the last seconds of a game, and we won because he took that charge.  No one on this board would be complaining, they'd be calling it a savvy veteran move.  That's what this was with Henry.  Did he break the rules of the game?  Absolutely, but it's not Henry's job to blow to the whistle, it's the officials.  Everyone in every sport cheats, everyone's trying to get that competitive edge somehow.  Also, to all whom believe Henry should be suspended or off the French team, let's get serious?  He committed a handball, regardless of what became of the handball, he committed a handball.   He didn't show an attempt to hurt anyone, I've seen plenty of bad fouls that may have warranted a red card that didn't occur.  Henry doesn't deserve any sort of penalty.

TP... I completely agree with everything you said.

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2009, 03:19:27 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
do it

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2009, 03:22:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=701150&sec=worldcup2010&cc=5901
Kinda easy to say that after FIFA made their decision. I wonder what he would be saying if FIFA said to replay the game and then France lost.