Author Topic: The French football (soccer) team should be ashamed  (Read 30187 times)

Re: If you are French you should be ashamed.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Ireland already wants a replay of the game.

At the very least they should suspend Henri from a good portion of the Cup.

Both points may seem logical but they are not. You can`t replay a game because of a bad call (or non call).

The refs should be the ones who are ashamed.  That was as blatant as they get.  Henry even admitted that it was a handball and they missed the call.  It's not like he was doing it on purpose, he thought it should have been called.  What are they supposed to do?  Not accept the goal because the refs missed it?

Henry did it on purpose no question about it. He toouched the ball 2 times. This was no accident. FIFA and UEFA have introduced the fair play moto and actions like this one are nowhere near fair play. That`s the nature of sports. bad call will always happen ands we can only hope that are not intentional

There is no way for anyone to make up for the ref`s wrong decision. Does anyone remember the second leg Chelsea-Barca? And if we spend a little time we can all come up with dozent of games tagged by bad officiating and players taking advantage of it. Can you say Diego Maradona?  

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I think I missed something, why would he be suspended?  Wasnt it the refs that messed up?

Basically for cheating.

When has that happened in FIFA competitions?

This thread is nonsensical. The French benefited from an officiating mistake - and the play wasn't exactly easy to see in real time from the referee positioning; why should they be ashamed? It happens all the time and frequently more serious mistakes than this one.

I have no idea which team the OP supports, but I doubt it's one that never won a game due to the referees mistakes.

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics

Both points may seem logical but they are not. You can`t replay a game because of a bad call (or non call).

The refs should be the ones who are ashamed.  That was as blatant as they get.  Henry even admitted that it was a handball and they missed the call.  It's not like he was doing it on purpose, he thought it should have been called.  What are they supposed to do?  Not accept the goal because the refs missed it?

Henry did it on purpose no question about it. He toouched the ball 2 times. This was no accident. FIFA and UEFA have introduced the fair play moto and actions like this one are nowhere near fair play. That`s the nature of sports. bad call will always happen ands we can only hope that are not intentional

There is no way for anyone to make up for the ref`s wrong decision. Does anyone remember the second leg Chelsea-Barca? And if we spend a little time we can all come up with dozent of games tagged by bad officiating and players taking advantage of it. Can you say Diego Maradona?  

Well I think it would be dumb for him to do it on purpose because if the refs did their job then it would've been taking away from a good scoring chance for his team.  Even if he did, the onus is on the refs to decide what is fair or not, not the players.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 09:32:45 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I'm French and I'm not ashamed (but I hate soccer ;D).

It's too bad when hyperbole is applied with such a broad brush.  We think you're awesome Drucci!

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 09:41:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think I missed something, why would he be suspended?  Wasnt it the refs that messed up?

Basically for cheating.

When has that happened in FIFA competitions?

I was thinking of Raul and the Champions League, when he was suspended for a game. But after googling it turns out that uefa rescinded the suspension, in part because the goal and the game weren't decisive. There was also talk of Rivaldo being suspended from the World Cup for faking.

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Thierry Henry cheated. He admitted he cheated. And when they scored, he ran away screaming and celebrating with the rest of the French team. He was dishonest and unsportsmanlike.

And this is the example the captain of the French team chooses to set for the youngsters watching the game? Please have a read of this article [link], here is an extract:

Thierry Henry had about five seconds in which to decide to join the immortals. While William Gallas wheeled away from the point-blank header which gave France the lead over the Republic of Ireland during extra time in their World Cup play-off last night, Henry's reaction could have gone one of two ways.

In the act of controlling the ball before providing Gallas with a perfect cross, France's captain had handled it. Not once, but twice. The first time might have been almost inadvertent, a pardonable reflex action as it was about to go out of play. The second, in which he scooped the ball with his left hand, redirecting it to drop nicely on to his right foot, was clearly intentional.

For this was no ordinary piece of cheating. National pride and tens of millions of euros were at stake. So much greater, then, would have been the admiration of a decision to own up. Instead Henry chose to go down a path which exposed not just his own human frailty but the paranoid fear of failure running through a French squad (and their manager) haunted by comparisons with the glories of the recent past.

Henry was a hopeless captain at Arsenal and he is a hopeless captain of France. On Wednesday he did not have the gumption to say, "OK, that wasn't a goal" – an admission on which the referee would have been obliged to act – "but we'll use the remaining quarter of an hour's play to demonstrate that we are better than the Irish and more deserving of a place in the final 32 in South Africa next year."

Tell me I'm wrong and I'm overreacting, but when I see ridiculous threads like "the Hawks game was fixed" and other tripe then I feel justified in labeling this French team arrogant and cheaters. And nothing without Zidane.

Finally, I'm not saying this game was fixed, yes, the referee made a dreadful error, but I sincerely doubt this was on purpose. I think FIFA are a disgrace; video replays should be allowed and the proposal to change the seedings of the World Cup Playoffs so that the "big teams will qualify" (Michel Platini) is so bad I can't find words to describe it. It's pathetic and Sepp Blatter needs to step down because he has done a terrible job. God help football if Blatter and Platini remain in charge.

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Well I think it would be dumb for him to do it on purpose because if the refs did their job then it would've been taking away from a good scoring chance for his team.  Even if he did, the onus is on the refs to decide what is fair or not, not the players.

He couldn`t have controled the ball otherwise. And after stopping it he touched it again to direct it to his foot. I`m absolutely certain he did it on puprose. But i agree on the second part. Players act and the refs decide. But whatever the ref decides we as spectators have the right to have an opinion considering that we have better view and replays.

In this case i agree with OP that what Henry did was wrong , even unethical (and the way he celebrated makes  it even worst) but he got away with it like many others in the past. It`s not like it has never happened before. Italy 1990 WC final... Can you remember the penalty that gave the trophy to Germany? Same thing.

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 09:50:15 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Personally I think Soccer like basketball is a sport in which acting is honored.  People flop in both sports when not touched in order to regain posession for their teams.  I dont see this as honorable or sportsmanlike, which is why I dont think anybody can criticize Henry for doing what he had to win the game.  Anybody would have done it.  If you dont do anything you can to score there, where is your competitive spirit?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
You can`t blame Henry or the french team. It is referees fault! That is just unacceptable in such an important match. My heart goes out to all the Irish players and fans...

But I can`t be too sad about this because SLOVENIA IS GOING TO THE WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 10:03:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Personally I think Soccer like basketball is a sport in which acting is honored.  People flop in both sports when not touched in order to regain posession for their teams.  I dont see this as honorable or sportsmanlike, which is why I dont think anybody can criticize Henry for doing what he had to win the game.  Anybody would have done it.  If you dont do anything you can to score there, where is your competitive spirit?

That's kind of like saying that every pitcher would doctor the ball or every slugger would use steroids.

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 10:04:27 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

But I can`t be too sad about this because SLOVENIA IS GOING TO THE WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations. Always nice to see the minnows knock out a giant. It's just a shame Ireland and Bosnia couldn't do the same.

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 10:08:14 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Congratulations. Always nice to see the minnows knock out a giant. It's just a shame Ireland and Bosnia couldn't do the same.

Thanks! It was crazy yesterday and it is crazy today. I was really hoping Bosnia and Ireland would qualify too...

It is great to make to the world cup as the smallest nation with only 2 million people... ;D

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 10:43:42 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
EDITED, Check PM's
-IP
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:49:13 AM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 10:50:15 AM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
EDITED, Check PM's
-IP

I concur.  Soccer rots.

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
FIFA should have replays. It's 2009 now. Come on. Whole nations sway with every single play. We don't really have anything like you have on a national level, thebirdman, so that must be pretty awesome. It was tough to see the Irish players bawling: it shows you how much it means.