Author Topic: EPL Season  (Read 28715 times)

Re: EPL Season
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2009, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

Speechless...

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Time for Peter Cech to go away.  That was a pathetic display of goaltending from what some consider to be one of the best in the world.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2009, 06:20:03 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
United surely have it wrapped up now? That's three in a row people.

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 11:20:43 AM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Finally! Some resemblance of hope to stay up!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:33:32 AM by Hoyo de Monterrey »
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
MUFC 2008-09 EPL Champions!

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
This season was over the minute Man Utd signed Berbatov.

Hopefully, the other three big teams can make large enough changes this summer to realistically challenge United next season.

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2009, 12:37:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Well, that's it. Newcastle's down. Thanks Duffer... you suck.

EPL fans of CelticsBlog, I need advice. My team is down. I'm an American living in New England who has absolutely no chance of following Newcastle United in the Championship next season. I barely get enough coverage when they were in the EPL, and this whole season has been a disgrace, with terrible management, a horrific owner, and long term contracts to over the hill sentimental players that can't play anymore.

Is it within my rights as a fan to "adopt" a team next year in the EPL to follow for strictly only one season? Think of it as a fan loan, because there is no way I will get enough coverage or watch any games at all for a full season... Could I do that and still have self respect as a fan, and how would I select such a team? Should Newcastle return, I would go back to them as a fan the year after.

Thoughts?
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Newcastle are in a lot of trouble. They have a massive payroll that will have to be cut down this summer.

They could easily, and likely will, implode and end up down in the Championship for a few seasons. It looks like it'll be very difficult for them to bounce back up.

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »

Offline pbak63

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
Is it within my rights as a fan to "adopt" a team next year in the EPL to follow for strictly only one season?

Er, NO.

What would you do if Newcastle played your 2009/10 EPL team in 2010/11? Not that Newcastle are coming back in the short term.

It's interesting that you use the word 'fan' to describe yourself.

Why do you follow Newcastle?

I watched their truly pathetic attempt to stay in the EPL this afternoon and the club is in all sorts of trouble. Huge wage bill - overrated players, some of whom will have already contacted their agents as they won't want to play in the Championship.

I've nothing personal against Newcastle, but they have shown themselves as a blueprint on how not to run a football club for a few years.

As long as the supporters accept Newcastle need to totally re-build their squad
and that they have little or no chance of getting back next season, then eventually
you'll almost certainly get promotion back to the EPL.

I'll be going to the Watford v Newcastle game whenever it's scheduled next season so if you want a programme, please let me know.

All the best for 2009/10, but please stick with Newcastle.

Pbak

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

You think he is THAT good? I just don´t see it.

I´ve heard Chelsea is interested in Edin Dzeko from new Bundesliga Champion VfL Wolfsburg.
That would be a great signing, imo. One of the most impressive strikers I´ve seen in my 20 years as a fan.

In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen

Is it within my rights as a fan to "adopt" a team next year in the EPL to follow for strictly only one season? Think of it as a fan loan, because there is no way I will get enough coverage or watch any games at all for a full season... Could I do that and still have self respect as a fan, and how would I select such a team? Should Newcastle return, I would go back to them as a fan the year after.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, I have to agree with pbak63.
If we go strictly by the official soccer fan rules of Geneva 1917, there is no way you are allowed to abandon your team if it gets relegated. You will probably have to rent a satellite dish for one year. Maybe you can receive an english channel that shows the Championship.

However, you are allowed to root against any team you want.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
You think he is THAT good? I just don´t see it.
No, not at all, but he makes their team THAT good.

Their quality in depth is off the charts. 11 titles in the last 16-17 years and for my money, none of those teams had the level of overall quality this current team has. A bunch of those teams could go man-for-man in the starting eleven, but once you start going to the bench there's a massive difference. When you have that type of talent, and the depth to go with, it's a guarantee that you'll win the league. Maybe not the cups, or Europe, but you'll win the league. There's too many games for that depth not to play out over the course of a full season.

All the other contenders -- Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal -- were flawed squads in comparison to Man Utd.

Berbatov was the final element to their attack. A big guy who can hold up the ball and bring others into the play. A great complement to the strikers they already had.

I´ve heard Chelsea is interested in Edin Dzeko from new Bundesliga Champion VfL Wolfsburg.
That would be a great signing, imo. One of the most impressive strikers I´ve seen in my 20 years as a fan.
I've never seen him play. What type of player he is? A big striker? Small guy? Quick or slow? A thoroughbred scorer or a creative playmaker?

Chelsea are in so many rumours that I normally don't bother following them. I'd like to see a manager in place before we start signing new players unless it's a world class type of talent.

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
All the other contenders -- Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal -- were flawed squads in comparison to Man Utd.

Berbatov was the final element to their attack. A big guy who can hold up the ball and bring others into the play. A great complement to the strikers they already had.

I see. You would think that teams like Chelsea with 40+ players on the payroll have enough depth... :P

I've never seen him play. What type of player he is? A big striker? Small guy? Quick or slow? A thoroughbred scorer or a creative playmaker?

Chelsea are in so many rumours that I normally don't bother following them. I'd like to see a manager in place before we start signing new players unless it's a world class type of talent.

Very athletic, great pace, brilliant goalgetter with high anticipation skills, excellent technique and first touch, the total package when it comes to intangibles like will, teamplay, composure, instincts etc.

He and his partner Grafitte scored 54 goals combined in the league, the highest amount ever.
Although Grafitte had 28goals/11 assists and Dzeko slightly worse numbers(26/10), it is mainly Dzeko that makes them so dangerous.

Take a look at this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxxH1HcCysk&feature=fvsr

As always, highlight clips don´t do the player justice. The clip is from February, he was even better from March to May. He scored 12 goals in the last 6 games to win the Bundesliga with Wolfsburg.

3 down, 7 to go.