Author Topic: Looks like Giannis is starting to live up to the hype  (Read 45820 times)

Re: Looks like Giannis is starting to live up to the hype
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
First time I've looked in this thread, but no I don't think he's lived up to the hype.  He's been hyped as a 20-7-3 player on 50%+ shooting.  He has been hyped as a future superstar.  No where near that level currently.

Hyped ? Most people (fans/GMs/presidents) didn't even know him before the draft and the majority of this forum still only know him from the highlights. Others, that have been following his progress long enough, know that he might not be a 20ppg scorer but he will be an all around point forward that can also run the floor and play defense with the best.
This is what happens when you don't follow regularly Greece's 2nd division  ;D

« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2014, 07:21:07 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2014, 07:28:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Dudes, I don't give a crap about Giannis.  If you're going to fixate on something from that draft, you're looking at the wrong thing.

How many of you legitimately screamed out at your TV when Boston passed up on Giannis?  I'm guessing it's very few.  But you know what I DID scream out at?....  NERLENS NOEL.

As Nerlens starting slipping down the draft, I (and several others in the draft chat) were desperately hoping that Boston (now in full rebuild mode) would offer Rondo + our #16 pick to the Bobcats for an expiring contract and the #4.   It seemed plausible... Boston was going young, Rondo was a sitting duck, Bobcats needed a PG upgrade... DO IT, AINGE!!  DO IT!!! DO IT!!! GET NERLENS!!

And then the #4 pick came and went...

the #5 pick came and went...

the #6 pick comes and Nawlins smartly snatches up Nerlens... the best player in the draft. 

Then as I sat there pondering what could have been, I realized it was probably just some homer fan pipe dream anyways... why would anyone dump a potential dominant defensive young big man for a point guard?  That's ridiculous.  Oh well... much ado about nothing.  One of those wild and crazy ideas that LarBrd33 cooks up in his imagination.  I'll let it go and move on...

And then ... out of nowhere...  we hear that Nawlins has traded Nerlens for a point guard... a point guard (Jru Holiday) who, although younger, is not as good as Rondo.   And they got him without even giving up an extra pick.  Wow.  Amazing.  So jealous...

Some time later, the full details of that trade come out... we realize it was misreported initially.  Not only did the 76ers get Nerlens for Jru Holiday... they also got New Orleans' 2015 pick as well.  You... have... to... be... kidding.. me.    "The New Orleans Pelicans traded 6th pick Nerlens Noel and a 2014 protected first-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for Jrue Holiday and 42nd pick Pierre Jackson."  WOW.  REKT.

Flash forward to 2014 draft.   With the #10 pick they got from the Pelicans, the 76ers draft Elfrid Payton... basically a younger Rondo.  Unbelievable.  #sojealous #imcrying 

Then the savvy 76ers franchise, without a need for Payton, does this:

"Philadelphia 76ers trade Elfrid Payton in exchange for the draft rights to 12th pick Dario Sarić, a 2015 second-round pick and a future first-round pick"

Meanwhile, Dario Saric is beasting overseas... recently winning the Euroleague MVP for November http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235721/Dario-Saric-Named-Euroleague-MVP-For-November  ... many swear he's going to be an all-star level player. 

So if you're following along... the 76ers traded Jru Holiday for Nerlens Noel, Dario Saric, and Orlando's 2017 protected 1st...

If you want a blown opportunity to lament from the 2013 Draft, focus on that one... i watched it happen in real time.  If Rondo flees this summer (very likely) or we dump him for chump change (it's in play), this one is going to haunt us for a very long time.   That is... unless you think the entire premise needs to be thrown out the window, because Rajon Rondo's trade value is nowhere near that of Jru Holiday... which even as a pessimist, I have trouble buying.  We blew it.  The Giannis thing is just Monday Morning Quarterbacking that happens every draft. 

« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2014, 07:49:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Dudes, I don't give a crap about Giannis.  If you're going to fixate on something from that draft, you're looking at the wrong thing.

How many of you legitimately screamed out at your TV when Boston passed up on Giannis?  I'm guessing it's very few.  But you know what I DID scream out at?....  NERLENS NOEL.

As Nerlens starting slipping down the draft, I (and several others in the draft chat) were desperately hoping that Boston (now in full rebuild mode) would offer Rondo + our #16 pick to the Bobcats for an expiring contract and the #4.   It seemed plausible... Boston was going young, Rondo was a sitting duck, Bobcats needed a PG upgrade... DO IT, AINGE!!  DO IT!!! DO IT!!! GET NERLENS!!

the #6 pick comes and Nawlins smartly snatches up Nerlens... the best player in the draft. 

Then as I sat there pondering what could have been, I realized it was probably just some homer fan pipe dream anyways... why would anyone dump a potential dominant defensive young big man for a point guard?  That's ridiculous.  Oh well... much ado about nothing.  One of those wild and crazy ideas that LarBrd33 cooks up in his imagination.  I'll let it go and move on...

And then ... out of nowhere...  we hear that Nawlins has traded Nerlens for a point guard... a point guard (Jru Holiday) who, although younger, is not as good as Rondo.   And they got him without even giving up an extra pick.  Wow.  Amazing.  So jealous...

Some time later, the full details of that trade come out... we realize it was misreported initially.  Not only did the 76ers get Nerlens for Jru Holiday... they also got New Orleans' 2015 pick as well.  You... have... to... be... kidding.. me.    "The New Orleans Pelicans traded 6th pick Nerlens Noel and a 2014 protected first-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for Jrue Holiday and 42nd pick Pierre Jackson."  WOW.  REKT.

Flash forward to 2014 draft.   With the #10 pick they got from the Pelicans, the 76ers draft Elfrid Payton... basically a younger Rondo.  Unbelievable.  #sojealous #imcrying 

"Philadelphia 76ers trade Elfrid Payton in exchange for the draft rights to 12th pick Dario Sarić, a 2015 second-round pick and a future first-round pick"

Meanwhile, Dario Saric is beasting overseas... recently winning the Euroleague MVP for November http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235721/Dario-Saric-Named-Euroleague-MVP-For-November  ... many swear he's going to be an all-star level player. 

So if you're following along... the 76ers traded Jru Holiday for Nerlens Noel, Dario Saric, and Orlando's 2017 protected 1st...

If you want a blown opportunity to lament from the 2013 Draft, focus on that one... i watched it happen in real time.  If Rondo flees this summer (very likely) or we dump him for chump change (it's in play), this one is going to haunt us for a very long time.   That is... unless you think the entire premise needs to be thrown out the window, because Rajon Rondo's trade value is nowhere near that of Jru Holiday... which even as a pessimist, I have trouble buying.  We blew it.  The Giannis thing is just Monday Morning Quarterbacking that happens every draft.

On the plus side, we couldn't have tanked for Marcus Smart had we traded Rondo...  We were 6-24 in games Rondo played.  Without Rondo, we probably would have finished with a better record and played ourselves out of the Marcus Smart pick.  I mean instead of winning 25 games, we might have won 33 or something... then instead of having 5th best odds in the lotto, we'd be stuck with the 9th best odds.     

... Oh wait... you  mean to tell me that the team with the 9th best odds won the 1st pick in the lotto?  You mean to tell me that we could have ended up with Andrew Wiggins, Nerlens Noel, Dario Saric, and Giannis?  sonofa.... 

« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

"Philadelphia 76ers trade Elfrid Payton in exchange for the draft rights to 12th pick Dario Sari?, a 2015 second-round pick and a future first-round pick"

I'm also a Hinkie fan, but I think you are overdoing it a bit.
Holiday for Noel sure. Rondo, not so sure.

« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2014, 08:12:41 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Could have had Giannis for free. You act like Rondo isn't a top 5-10 pg , who is an awesome facilitator, and can be part of a new big 3 .  I wouldn't trade Rondo for Noel in a million year. You add to a floor general like Rondo, don't trade him away for a prospect like Noel , who isn't a anchor on defense , but more of  Josh Smith type weak side defender .

« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I strained my

Giannis.     

« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2014, 12:18:08 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
antetokounmpo is playing well but one of the questions raised about him before the draft was his shooting. i only saw mixed and uneven opinions on this part of his game.

so given the interest here on him, i looked at his shotcharts for both his nba seasons and found an interesting split in his shooting. clearly, the majority of his shots come under the basket, where he does well. but away from that area, this year he is having real difficulties, but that could change since there is a lot of season left.

antetokounmpo shotchart 2013-14
http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/shotchart/1529-Giannis-Antetokounmpo/

antetokounmpos shortchart 2014-15
http://vorped.com/1-nba/2014-2015/player/1529/giannis-antetokounmpo/shotchart/

he doesn't take many inefficient 2 pointers, which is wise since his shooting percentages there are poor.

also, last year he shot well from 3 point range (35%), but this year that percentage has dropped (15%). so the jury is still out on that part of his game.

just thought i would add this to the discussion. as a scorer, he is doing it while under the basket and doesn't seem to have yet developed a reliable outside shot. but he is only 20 years old so we might have to wait and see how he develops before making any calls.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:28:20 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2014, 07:03:27 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
Very impressed with his development this year.

His defense is much improved and has spent time defending 2-4 with some time even spent on centers. I haven't seen him defend PGs yet but I am sure he is capable of that as well. Not a lockdown defender yet but clearly physical enough to hold his own (my big question mark over his defensive utility as a rookie) which is impressive given his thin frame and inexperience. Should be an All-League defender further down the road. Elite potential as both man-to-man defender and team defender.

Excellent possession creator. Strong rebounder and gets a lot of deflections on defense.

Offensively, aggressive and creative. Extremely difficult to keep out of the paint. So quick and with such incredible size, length and leaping ability. Very good ball-handler. Once he gets a step, his defenders can do nothing with him. Need a high level athlete to cover him to have any chance of staying in front of him. One of the best SFs in league already at beating his man off the bounce. Very good finisher around the basket and on short pull up shots from 8-10 feet. Nearly impossible to block given his length and leaping ability. A matchup nightmare. Creates matchup advantages for Bucks on nightly basis.

He still can't shoot worth a [dang] but the rest of his game is very impressive and looks highly likely to become an All-Star player in next few years.

« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2014, 08:19:36 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
He is very good at forcing TOs on the attacking team. Literally out of nothing. I saw him yesterday with Dallas, he picked the ball from the Mavs PG just like a magician picks a rabbit out of his hat.
On the 3pt% it is a legit issue. If I remember well, in Greece he was around 30, and so he was last year, this year there seems to be some regression as he is trying to fix his shot mechanics. For now, this is his weakest side IMO.

« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »

Offline ge

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
He is very good at forcing TOs on the attacking team. Literally out of nothing. I saw him yesterday with Dallas, he picked the ball from the Mavs PG just like a magician picks a rabbit out of his hat.
On the 3pt% it is a legit issue. If I remember well, in Greece he was around 30, and so he was last year, this year there seems to be some regression as he is trying to fix his shot mechanics. For now, this is his weakest side IMO.

They try to get him to be more aggressive attacking the basket this season. His shot mechanics are not that bad (for his frame) but getting a couple of go-to moves is even more important at this stage of his career. He could be a good enough spot-up shooter but his ceiling is higher than that. Right now he tries to listen to everyone, which is ok. He looks like the kind of player that can contribute on any playoff team even when he is not scoring. MIL will fight for a place in the playoffs, which is something not many had predicted.

« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
MIL will fight for a place in the playoffs, which is something not many had predicted.

Milwaukee has had one of the easiest, if not the outright easiest, schedules so far.  They will only fight for a playoff spot in that the bottom of the East is still terrible, and maybe worse than last year, but I doubt they win even 30 games this year.  Their upcoming schedule will be tough, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't win again until 2015.

« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I may be the only one that finds this interesting, but Parker and Giannis' stats are practically identical so far this season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=antetgi01&y1=2015&p2=parkeja01&y2=2015#per_minute::none

Their shots taken, field goal%, ft%, ppg, rebounds, and assists are all roughly the same.

« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

They try to get him to be more aggressive attacking the basket this season. His shot mechanics are not that bad (for his frame) but getting a couple of go-to moves is even more important at this stage of his career. He could be a good enough spot-up shooter but his ceiling is higher than that. Right now he tries to listen to everyone, which is ok. He looks like the kind of player that can contribute on any playoff team even when he is not scoring. MIL will fight for a place in the playoffs, which is something not many had predicted.
Sir, you just nailed it. TP

« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
I may be the only one that finds this interesting, but Parker and Giannis' stats are practically identical so far this season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=antetgi01&y1=2015&p2=parkeja01&y2=2015#per_minute::none

Their shots taken, field goal%, ft%, ppg, rebounds, and assists are all roughly the same.
No, I think it is genuinely interesting  ;), although I feel (from what I see on the court) that Giannis contributes more.
It is really cool for MIL out of being a team lost in the irrelevance area of NBA they 2 (two) franchise players. And I do think they will be in the playoffs. (In case of a mistake all it takes is a slight re-edit adding a 'nt at the end  ;D)