Author Topic: Celtics (34-9) at Heat (22-18) 1/21  (Read 40208 times)

Re: Celtics (34-9) at Heat (22-18 ) 1/21
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2009, 10:08:22 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Nice win! Bring on Orlando.  ;D
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
Was this a weird game from KG and Pierce? their heads deffinetly seemed elsewhere, they played decent but it was really everyone else

also, why when BBD plays bad he gets eaten alive from us, but Powe, who has been playing as bad as ive ever seen him gets let off the hook? whats up? he didnt deserve minutes in the 2nd half and he didnt...baby played very well in short minutes
Also, Perk didnt look too sharp, but thats not shocking considering the time off..hopefully he gets into more of a groove tommorow, we're gonna need it

I really think it's because BBD is big, and everyone likes to pick on the fat kid subconsciously. Specifically many people think he should've lost x number of pounds and because he hasn't done so, he is fat and lazy.

« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Was this a weird game from KG and Pierce? their heads deffinetly seemed elsewhere, they played decent but it was really everyone else

also, why when BBD plays bad he gets eaten alive from us, but Powe, who has been playing as bad as ive ever seen him gets let off the hook? whats up? he didnt deserve minutes in the 2nd half and he didnt...baby played very well in short minutes
Also, Perk didnt look too sharp, but thats not shocking considering the time off..hopefully he gets into more of a groove tommorow, we're gonna need it

I really think it's because BBD is big, and everyone likes to pick on the fat kid subconsciously. Specifically many people think he should've lost x number of pounds and because he hasn't done so, he is fat and lazy.

Yup, it is the same reason a lot of people have a hard time seeing Scal in a positive light.  Because he doesn't look like a world class athlete, they just assume he is lazy, and ignore the fact that he actually is a decent player.

« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2009, 10:28:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Yup, it is the same reason a lot of people have a hard time seeing Scal in a positive light.  Because he doesn't look like a world class athlete, they just assume he is lazy, and ignore the fact that he actually is a decent player.

or, like me, they could disagree for legitimate reasons, like lack of lateral quickness, inability to handle, average at best rebounding, no shot outside the set three pointer, and a tendency to turn the ball over on the break. (on scal)

and lack of ablity to finish around the rim consistently, dumb fouls, lack of a decent post game, tendency to turn the ball over when pressured in the post, and lack of real length to play the four. (baby)

but best to lump everyone who doesn't agree with others opinions of players as a person with an agenda against said player. it's easier to dismiss people without actually having a debate that way when you think of them as some sort of crazy who doesn't "get it".

That said, scal has impressed me this year, as has davis. but this new trend around here to just act like your better than someone or that they are idiots and you see the true measure of the player they somehow have formed a worthless opnion of when they don't agree with you about a players game/abilities has really gotten out of hand. it smacks of elitism.

i mean, Didn't we just all agree this is a dumb thing to do in another thread? Not trying to say anyone here is doing that intentionally, but it seems to have become the new default "argument" when anyone criticizes POB, baby, scal, TA, or eddie.

"you just hate/dislike him, moving on"
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58

or, like me, they could disagree for legitimate reasons, like lack of lateral quickness, inability to handle, average at best rebounding, no shot outside the set three pointer, and a tendency to turn the ball over on the break. (on scal)

and lack of ablity to finish around the rim consistently, dumb fouls, lack of a decent post game, tendency to turn the ball over when pressured in the post, and lack of real length to play the four. (baby)

but best to lump everyone who doesn't agree with others opinions of players as a person with an agenda against said player. it's easier to dismiss people without actually having a debate that way when you think of them as some sort of crazy who doesn't "get it".

That said, scal has impressed me this year, as has davis. but this new trend around here to just act like your better than someone or that they are idiots and you see the true measure of the player they somehow have formed a worthless opnion of when they don't agree with you about a players game/abilities has really gotten out of hand. it smacks of elitism.

i mean, Didn't we just all agree this is a dumb thing to do in another thread?

Making charges of elitism smacks of elitism! j/k. Anyway my point wasn't that ALL people disliked BBD because he looks overweight, just that SOME people do. I don't think you can argue against that being true.

« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Making charges of elitism smacks of elitism! j/k. Anyway my point wasn't that ALL people disliked BBD because he looks overweight, just that SOME people do. I don't think you can argue against that being true.

Same here.  I apologize that it came across wrong.  But there are a good number of people who have used both player's weight as an argument of why they shouldn't play...and I personally do not think it has effected them.

BTW, I don't know how anyone can say Scal has bad lateral quickness.  The guy has tremendous lateral quickness for a man his size...that is one of the main reasons he is such a good defender.

« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2009, 10:42:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Same here.  I apologize that it came across wrong.  But there are a good number of people who have used both player's weight as an argument of why they shouldn't play...and I personally do not think it has effected them.

BTW, I don't know how anyone can say Scal has bad lateral quickness.  The guy has tremendous lateral quickness for a man his size...that is one of the main reasons he is such a good defender.

as i said, i don't mean to sound like you guys are doing it, its just a general bad attitude that has entered into alot of threads lately.

"agree with me or your a fool" seems to be some sort of new tactic people are engaging in at times.

on scal-

I think he's very easy to beat laterally, but i also think that the fact that he does his work early (and very well) and faces the guy up negates alot of that. How many times do you see scal get beat to a spot on a curl/roll and have to close out an angle? rarley, if ever.

Can't beat a guy to the side if he has you safely between his shoulders and his help. Scal is probley one of the best guys  at making sure he doesn't put himself in a bad spot that lets his mark make use of his advantages that ive seen off any teams bench. He rarely, if ever, gets caught "napping" or making a foolish gamble on defense and so never has to chase his man anywhere. He knows how to cover himself, and i love the move to make him more of a PF/ finess center, as it helps him out by giving him guys who aren't as good at slashing and are even easier for him to contain. I wish powe would take a lesson from him on that.

Half leon's problem is that he seems to be surprised when his man starts a cut, and thus needs help/gets beat to the side.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

on scal-

I think he's very easy to beat laterally, but i also think that the fact that he does his work early (and very well) and faces the guy up negates alot of that. How many times do you see scal get beat to a spot on a curl/roll and have to close out an angle? rarley, if ever.

Can't beat a guy to the side if he has you safely between his shoulders and his help. Scal is probley one of the best guys  at making sure he doesn't put himself in a bad spot that lets his mark make use of his advantages that ive seen off any teams bench. He rarely, if ever, gets caught "napping" or making a foolish gamble on defense and so never has to chase his man anywhere. He knows how to cover himself, and i love the move to make him more of a PF/ finess center, as it helps him out by giving him guys who aren't as good at slashing and are even easier for him to contain. I wish powe would take a lesson from him on that.

Half leon's problem is that he seems to be surprised when his man starts a cut, and thus needs help/gets beat to the side.

I don't deny that Scal does a lot of his work with being in the right position, so he doesn't need to rely on his lateral quickness, but I have also seen him moving his feet tremendously well for a guy his size.  Yeah, he is not Ron Artest, but I think he is still above average.  And even if he wants, I think we can agree that the results are the same.

I definitely agree about Leon though.  He absolutely gets beat way too much, because he doesn't seem able to anticipate, and always seems like he is overthinking things.

« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
we need eddie to be this hot tomorrow in orlando...god knows the magic love to shoot the 3

« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I started watching other games and doing other stuff at the half-time; when I now checked the box-score I was surprised by the minutes the starters played. Well, not a big problem anyway.

Great game by House. I'd like him to be less streaky and spread his made shots more evenly for different games, but it's always funny to see a shooter like him going bananas on some other team.

Turnovers are annoying.

« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I started watching other games and doing other stuff at the half-time; when I now checked the box-score I was surprised by the minutes the starters played. Well, not a big problem anyway.

Great game by House. I'd like him to be less streaky and spread his made shots more evenly for different games, but it's always funny to see a shooter like him going bananas on some other team.

Turnovers are annoying.

agreed on all points.

not to be overlooked i think is that when eddie was super hot, he had pruitt and then rondo feeding him.

Eddie catch and shoot off drives > eddie dribbles up and stands around hoping someone gets doubled down low.

« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2009, 11:01:14 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112

Have to say this is my biggest concern going into tomorrow.  Was hoping RayRay would tear it up against Orlando, but he played almost 38 minutes tonight, and his FG% does drop off in back to back situations.

Also, Perk looking a little lost on his first night back.  Hope he gets over that before tomorrow.  We'll need him.  

« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2009, 08:42:39 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
we need eddie to be this hot tomorrow in orlando...god knows the magic love to shoot the 3

i love watching "shooters" shoot when they are on fire.  true thing of beauty!