Author Topic: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10  (Read 48750 times)

Re: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10
« Reply #585 on: June 19, 2019, 07:00:54 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Yahoo Sports NBA

Verified account

@YahooSportsNBA
 1m1 minute ago
More
The Lakers, Clippers and Mavs will reportedly show interest in signing Al Horford, per @KevinOConnorNBA.

Seeing him in Laker gold playing alongside AD & Lebron would cause me to vomit.

So if the lakers don't have the cap room to give him a good contract, is Al going to take a Laker discount?  I doubt it.

The Lakers can give Al the 4 years, $100 million if they want — they’ve got that kind of cap room, just not max cap room.  I’m not sure how a Horford, Davis, Kuzma, LeBron, mystery guard lineup is supposed to work, personally, but they could make the money work if they’re so inclined.

I thought they only had like 22mil cap space free?  Can they back load a big contract like that if they go after Al?
I don't want to see Al with the LAL either, and I guess I thought there wasn't even a chance that was happening.  I guess I was wrong!
duuuuhhhh!

Al Horford is worth a big 4 year deal imo:
« Reply #586 on: June 19, 2019, 10:40:51 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
With what he brings to the table on both ends of the floor, and how well he fits into the space and pace era, it's not even a debate. Even at 37 the worst case is he's an expiring contract. Is it terrible to assume he has 3 more really good years left, he plays a smart fundamental brand of ball.

I think so highly of this guy, I think he deserves one more big deal. I really do. I also think it's bad optics not to pay our first big free agent signing. I believe players look at stuff like that. The IT4 thing is already coming back on us, granted that was the right business decison.

I wish Danny had a lot more faith in the next few years of Al's career, I think he will regret letting him go. There isn't a better suited big man for this system.

So disappointed that Danny is throwing another star put with the trash, I'm almost to the point where I hope it does hurt us. He needs to learn, this is a players league now.

Re: Al Horford is worth a big 4 year deal imo:
« Reply #587 on: June 19, 2019, 10:42:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Its easy to say this now, much harder to say it when you're going to have to try and assemble a roster around Tatum/Brown with very little salary flexibility until they are both on extensions. Its rough to be paying a 36/37 year old player 25 million plus given the typical aging curve.

« Reply #588 on: June 19, 2019, 10:45:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would like to think so, but it's probably best for him to leave if he wants a ring.

There's also no knowing that he'll age gracefully. Not everyone is Tim Duncan, or Robert Parish.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10
« Reply #589 on: June 19, 2019, 10:49:27 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I'm excited.  I wrote 2000 words on Reddit about our options:  https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/c2ca5h/building_bostons_big_4/

How is it that the best Boston reporter  is a Blogger out in Worcester and the best Celtics writer is a forum poster from out in a Washington state?

Well done.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #590 on: June 19, 2019, 10:55:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If there was a realistic path to contention with him here, I would agree.

However, I don't think there is.  Therefore, giving roughly 25% of our cap to a really excellent role player doesn't make sense for a team that is rebuilding.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #591 on: June 19, 2019, 11:05:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
If there was a realistic path to contention with him here, I would agree.

However, I don't think there is.  Therefore, giving roughly 25% of our cap to a really excellent role player doesn't make sense for a team that is rebuilding.

This.

« Reply #592 on: June 20, 2019, 05:03:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He ain't worth no big 4 year deal. He is probably going to decline quickly. Remember he was playing through minor issues last year that required time management and missed a decent amount of games. That is only going to get worse with age. His 14/7 can be replaced with a player half his asking price. His intangibles mean nothing since he disappears half the game. His nick name should be magic man the way he disappears so much. He offered a good example of a professional but never once did I hear about him being a leader in the locker room always just a professional. Good bye Al get your money from some other fool.

« Reply #593 on: June 20, 2019, 05:51:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
There's also no knowing that he'll age gracefully. Not everyone is Tim Duncan, or Robert Parish.

Yeah, I am worried about Al Horford will age.

On one hand, finesse bigs with strong jump-shots tend to age well.

On the other hand, undersized bigs tend to age badly because they are reliant on their quickness and athleticism to overcome their lack of size.

I lean towards the second. History is against undersized bigs.

« Reply #594 on: June 20, 2019, 06:44:37 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
He got over paid with his first contract, he was great, especially in the playoffs, but another 4 year 100 mill, thanks for the memories big al, dallas looks like the perfect fit
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #595 on: June 20, 2019, 07:18:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I could see two years

last two years of four year deal could be brutal to endure.  I recall how KG fell off so quickly at the end.  It was sad to watch .

« Reply #596 on: June 20, 2019, 08:03:55 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I could see two years

last two years of four year deal could be brutal to endure.  I recall how KG fell off so quickly at the end.  It was sad to watch .

Exactly. Horford wasn't consistent this year. Showed in the playoffs, but had to do to much at time during the season. In two years he'll be 35, were the big drop most likely will happen. So 37 at the end of a 4 year contract which I can see where he's targeting a retirement, but wan't to make sure he's under contract till then.

I'm wondering if DA offered a 3 year were the last was team option and thats why he bolted so quick.

« Reply #597 on: June 20, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
According to all the young players, Al was a mentor to them... The Father figure in the locker room... There are a number of stories about what he meant to those guys.

It will be tough to watch him go but it's necessary... IF we are turning it over to the Jay's this is the right move...

It's time to snatch away all the security blankets... If they are to be superstars, they have to stand out in front like men...

« Reply #598 on: June 20, 2019, 11:20:38 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Yes, but the question is how big??!
We already have a huge burden ih Hayward's contract.

« Reply #599 on: June 20, 2019, 11:23:51 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm starting to wonder the same thing about Horford.

For whatever reason, alot of Celtic fans are resigned to being non-contenders but I'm not.

I'm not crazy about giving a 33 year old player a 4 year deal, which is why at first I wasn't too heartbroken about him leaving.

But on the other hand, what alternatives do we have? I know we can trade or use potential cap space, but I wonder if Ainge should just make the safe bet and match whatever offer Horford gets.

I think if we did, Horford would stay (or at least strongly consider it.)