Author Topic: 2017-18 NBA Season  (Read 205024 times)

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season
« Reply #1875 on: April 04, 2018, 05:38:30 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'll probably never have another opportunity in this regard, so allow me to say that, and even if it's only been for the last 2-3 games, Danuel House Jr IS. DAT. DUDE. I think ;D.

No worries it's just a forum. I've said crazier things that drive most readers nuts   8)

Lol, yeah. It's nice to see him playing so well, though.
Why exactly is that? Do you have him on a fantasy team? Are you related to him somehow? Is he like a friend of yours? Did you make some Triboy/Jordan Mickey prediction about him you want to somehow come true to show off what a great scout you are? Are you an Aggies alumni? Is the fact he is Eddie House's distant relative pertinent to any of this? Exactly, why does House having 2 good games in his whole career make him Dat Guy?

I honestly have no idea as to whether or not he's related to Eddie House in any capacity, although you and I did, in fact, argue over, well, whether or not we should sign Danuel "Not Daniel" House as an undrafted free agent in 2016, but no, that's not why I mentioned him.

Holy comma. 7 in a run-on sentence is a tough mark to beat.

That's not a run-on sentence tho

Yeah, it actually is.

Run-on sentences can be divided into two types. The first occurs when a writer puts no mark of punctuation and no coordinating conjunction between independent clauses. The second is called a comma splice, which occurs when two or more independent clauses are joined by just a comma and no coordinating conjunction.

Are you joking right now? You're literally an e-bully.  No idea why anyone puts up with it.  Just one person al attack after another.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #1876 on: April 04, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I don't care about run-on sentences. I care about the Cavs losing two of their remaining games. That's what I care about.

« Reply #1877 on: April 04, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I love the internet. Valid arguments (or sometimes valid) between anonymous posters continue on and on until they are derailed by grammatical critiques.

This is a fair point, and I hate people being grammar Nazis, too. However, there was no need for Eddie to inject a snarky comment into a joking message thread, especially considering the fact that Eddie's statement was factually incorrect. I thought it'd be funnier to point out the error rather than the lame and pointless attempt at insulting Beat LA.

This is the first time I've ever played Internet grammar police; it's kinda fun :D

I'll probably never have another opportunity in this regard, so allow me to say that, and even if it's only been for the last 2-3 games, Danuel House Jr IS. DAT. DUDE. I think ;D.

No worries it's just a forum. I've said crazier things that drive most readers nuts   8)

Why exactly is that? Do you have him on a fantasy team? Are you related to him somehow? Is he like a friend of yours? Did you make some Triboy/Jordan Mickey prediction about him you want to somehow come true to show off what a great scout you are? Are you an Aggies alumni? Is the fact he is Eddie House's distant relative pertinent to any of this? Exactly, why does House having 2 good games in his whole career make him Dat Guy?

I honestly have no idea as to whether or not he's related to Eddie House in any capacity, although you and I did, in fact, argue over, well, whether or not we should sign Danuel "Not Daniel" House as an undrafted free agent in 2016, but no, that's not why I mentioned him.

Yeah, it actually is.

Run-on sentences can be divided into two types. The first occurs when a writer puts no mark of punctuation and no coordinating conjunction between independent clauses. The second is called a comma splice, which occurs when two or more independent clauses are joined by just a comma and no coordinating conjunction.

I just bolded the coordinating conjunction in Beat LA's sentence- the coordinating conjunction which did, in fact, connect two independent clauses. Also worth noting: a grammatically-correct sentence can contain many dependent clauses.

", although" is also a conjunction. I see 3 separate clauses joined together by 2 conjunctions.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #1878 on: April 04, 2018, 06:18:30 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Yeah, it actually is.

Are you joking right now? You're literally an e-bully.  No idea why anyone puts up with it.  Just one person al attack after another.

I thought the only thing that made you really sensitive is IT being bashed and/or Kyrie receiving praise?

« Reply #1879 on: April 04, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
I love the internet. Valid arguments (or sometimes valid) between anonymous posters continue on and on until they are derailed by grammatical critiques.

This is a fair point, and I hate people being grammar Nazis, too. However, there was no need for Eddie to inject a snarky comment into a joking message thread, especially considering the fact that Eddie's statement was factually incorrect. I thought it'd be funnier to point out the error rather than the lame and pointless attempt at insulting Beat LA.

This is the first time I've ever played Internet grammar police; it's kinda fun :D

Yeah, it actually is.

I just bolded the coordinating conjunction in Beat LA's sentence- the coordinating conjunction which did, in fact, connect two independent clauses. Also worth noting: a grammatically-correct sentence can contain many dependent clauses.

", although" is also a conjunction. I see 3 separate clauses joined together by 2 conjunctions.

That is correct. However, "although" is a subordinating conjunction, which connects a dependent clause and an independent clause. Beat LA's one coordinating conjunction did correctly connect the two independent clauses in his sentence, making the sentence grammatically correct (/not a run-on). (note: Unlike my reply to Eddie, this particular comment of mine is not being made sardonically. I just want to respectfully clarify to back up my other post.)

(completely separate point): I'm jumping off my high horse now. I hate internet grammar police, and I am far from perfect. (Many of my posts have many grammatical errors.) I just wanted to poke fun at the attempt to make fun of Beat LA. I promise to never be a grammar snob again, unless it is to combat derisive comments.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:36:30 PM by GetLucky »

« Reply #1880 on: April 04, 2018, 06:32:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, it actually is.

It does appear that after carefully reading through the sentence in question, it is grammatically correct.  However, I can assure you no editor would ever allow it to be published, as is.  The key is whether or not the individual clauses can stand on their own.  That singular sentence could have been more cleanly conveyed in two separate sentences that are much easier to read and comprehend, without all the extra, unnecessary interjections (i.e. "in fact", "well", and "but no").

Yeah, it actually is.

I fail to see how, whether accurate or not, correcting someone's grammar is a personal attack or bullying.  I realize it's just a post on an internet discussion board, but it sure is a lot easier to comprehend proper grammar than the alternative.  Maybe it's a bit pedantic, but it most certainly is not bullying.

« Reply #1881 on: April 04, 2018, 06:44:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Yeah, it actually is.

It does appear that after carefully reading through the sentence in question, it is grammatically correct.  However, I can assure you no editor would ever allow it to be published, as is.  The key is whether or not the individual clauses can stand on their own.  That singular sentence could have been more cleanly conveyed in two separate sentences that are much easier to read and comprehend, without all the extra, unnecessary interjections (i.e. "in fact", "well", and "but no").

Yeah, it actually is.

I fail to see how, whether accurate or not, correcting someone's grammar is a personal attack or bullying.  I realize it's just a post on an internet discussion board, but it sure is a lot easier to comprehend proper grammar than the alternative.  Maybe it's a bit pedantic, but it most certainly is not bullying.

It's not. He's been grasping at straws ever since he was proven wrong about IT. Poor guy has been on edge ever since he was suspended. 

« Reply #1882 on: April 04, 2018, 06:46:37 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
For all those fans keeping score at home:

1. It's a sentence, but a weird sentence.
2. It's not bullying, but pedantic.
3. We can't wait for the playoffs to start.

« Reply #1883 on: April 04, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
ENOUGH!!!

Get back on subject of NBA basketball!!!

« Reply #1884 on: April 04, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Nevermind...no need for me to take a mods thunder.  :laugh:

« Reply #1885 on: April 04, 2018, 06:56:41 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Agreed

« Reply #1886 on: April 04, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I hope LeBron fires Brett Brown.   :police:  I'm tired of him not giving my guy Richaun Holmes any run.  If the excuse is poor defense, Brownie, note that he gets 4 blocks when you give him 26 mins.   8)

Tonight in 19 mins, he had 11 points (5-6 FG), 3 rebs, 3 assists, and 3 steals.  Let's make it happen, Brett.

« Reply #1887 on: April 04, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
For all those fans keeping score at home:

1. It's a sentence, but a weird sentence.
2. It's not bullying, but pedantic.

Yeah.....I'm done with the regular season. 

« Reply #1888 on: April 04, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I hope LeBron fires Brett Brown.   :police:  I'm tired of him not giving my guy Richaun Holmes any run.  If the excuse is poor defense, Brownie, note that he gets 4 blocks when you give him 26 mins.   8)

Tonight in 19 mins, he had 11 points (5-6 FG), 3 rebs, 3 assists, and 3 steals.  Let's make it happen, Brett.
We should snag him ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1889 on: April 04, 2018, 10:59:02 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

We should snag him ;)

Yep.  Floated that idea last year, actually.  It'd be great to have a high energy, athletic big like him.