Author Topic: Williams NBEinstein Video Breakdowns  (Read 3559 times)

Re: Williams NBEinstein Video Breakdowns
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 11:47:49 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Tp for this. Excellent.

He gets so high on alley oops. Top of box.

Able to block a lot of jump shooters, covers a lot of real estate. Will be useful closing out vs corner 3’s.

Shooting mechanics atrocious.

His predraft workouts show he has worked on his stroke quite a bit. We'll see if he can convert that to NBA success. He flashed a jumper in college so I wouldnt say he's totally hopeless there..

If the Celtics can turn Baynes into a 3 point shooter, they can do it with Williams too

Williams needs to develop a shot with consistent mechanics. His release point seems to change and his feet are always in different positions, toes pointed in different directions etc. A shooting coach could do wonders with this guy and make him at least decent. When he's square up and releases the shot at the right point it doesn't look horrid, just bad...

Elbows and knees are all over the place. In particular his right elbow drifts so high that the shoulder isn’t even part of the motion. It’s actually amazing that it looks as smooth as it does – but also not surprising that it is so inaccurate.

He doesn’t square up, basically - he’s turned to his left with his feet sorting themselves out whatever way they can.

Lack of opportunity, or does he resist coaching?

Glad to see passing is a strong suit for him. That fits Brad's system and I hope Horford can mentor him in that area.  The shot is not really a priority right now, IMO.
I agree the shot can wait.  If they can take his raw strengths and improve his fundamentals, I think he can make a positive contribution next season.  I think his coaching so far hasn't been top notch and I don't think it will take too long to see significant improvement.

The free throw shooting cannot wait. As a roll man and offensive rebounder - likely immediate points of emphasis - he’ll be taking trips to the line. He might never be money there, but if he can reliably get a point per possession that way he can get on the floor despite his jump shot, and save himself some hard hits in the process.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021