Author Topic: Too early but first time allstars/surprise players (east)  (Read 2795 times)

Too early but first time allstars/surprise players (east)
« on: October 31, 2018, 04:34:49 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Any early thoughts?

Whiteside has been very impressive statistically 16 rebounds and 3 blocks a game.
Zach Lavine is averaging 28 points a game
Khris Middleton has been great for the Bucks

The usual players are also playing very well
Drummond
Blake
Giannis
Leonard
Oladipo
Kemba
Embid
Lowry

Disappointing to start season
Wall
Beal
Hayward (with understanding for injury)
Simmons
Irving

It may be tougher than I thought at the beginning of the season for 3-4 Celtics to make it.

Re: Too early but first time allstars/surprise players (east)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 04:41:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
way too early but I suspect once we get deeper into the season and teams' records start really reflecting their talent, I suspect the C's should still wind up with 2-3 all-stars.  if not, I would suspect it'd serve as inspiration to show the unappreciative masses just how good they are.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Kyrie will probably get voted in. Not sure I can think of two guards that are more popular than him.

Leonard is a lock from the Canadian vote.
Obviously Giannis.
Embiid too.

But the guards? Tough call.

Also, wouldn’t shock me if Tatum is our second all-star. Hayward would have to get going real soon to gain traction. Horford impact-wise deserves it but his numbers may not justify it.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Giannis should not be a surprise to anyone.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 06:20:22 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I would pick Tatum to sneak in with the EC the way it is

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 06:24:42 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Its hard right now cuz almost every celtics numbers are way down this year due to poor shooting. I mean we may not have any uf the vote was right now. Brown, Irving are just starting to break out of shooting slumps and Tatums shooting numbers are way down even if his ppg are up. Hayward is clearly working through rust. Al never gas huge numbers. Lucky our guys numbers will stabilize

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 06:39:57 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Also what are the odds Jimmy Butler lands in the Eastern Conference before the All-Star break, without an All-Star caliber player going out in return?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Also what are the odds Jimmy Butler lands in the Eastern Conference before the All-Star break, without an All-Star caliber player going out in return?

The more games he has like his performance versus the lakers the other night, the harder it is to imagine them trading him.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

The more games he has like his performance versus the lakers the other night, the harder it is to imagine them trading him.
Either that or games like that will make other teams increase their offers to something the Wolves would take.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 08:54:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Kyrie is a lock if healthy. Then, considering (hopefully) we’ll be up the top of the East, another player or two.

Kemba and Lavine are the guards with the most gaudy numbers. Oladipo is elite. Lowry is overrated, but his team will be winning a lot. Simmons has (early, but still) seemingly taken a step back alongside Fultz.

Giannis and Kawhi are locks. Wings are a bit less deep, so could definitely see JT or Hayward getting votes.

Embiid, Blake and Drummond are the only standout East bigs I can think of
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 08:56:18 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Any early thoughts?

Whiteside has been very impressive statistically 16 rebounds and 3 blocks a game.

Drummond
Blake
Giannis
Leonard
Oladipo
Kemba
Embid
Lowry

Wall
Beal
Simmons
Irving

It may be tougher than I thought at the beginning of the season for 3-4 Celtics to make it.

I expect Lavine to come back to earth and be averaging somewhere in the lower 20's by the All-Star break and the Bulls to be amongst the bottom 10 teams in the league, maybe bottom 3 in the East.  He'll be the kind of guy that's in the conversation, but on the outside looking in, like Devin Booker last year (and maybe even again this year).

After the playoffs last year, I'm definitely impressed with how Whiteside started the season.  I feel like there's only room for him or Drummond on the All-Star team.  I expect the Pistons to be around .500 and not to get 2 All-Stars, so if Whiteside keeps this up and Blake is healthy, maybe Drummond gets left out while Whiteside is in.

I feel pretty strongly that Khris Middleton will be an All-Star.

Wall/Beal have had good numbers, just the chemistry is terrible.  I'd expect Washington to right the ship though and be a playoff team by the All-Star break, one or both will make it.

Irving was #1 in the fan vote for East guards by a huge margin last year.  With the Uncle Drew movie being a success, I don't expect that to change. I'll bet he'll be #1 in the fan vote again, and expect him to get enough media/player votes to start again this year.

Ya Hayward doesn't look like he'll be an All-Star this year.

Tatum might have the best shot of being the C's 2nd All-Star.  It would be poetic justice if Tatum and Mitchell both make the All-Star team this year while Simmons is left out.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 03:58:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Any early thoughts?

Drummond
Blake
Giannis
Leonard
Oladipo
Kemba
Embid
Lowry

Wall
Beal
Simmons
Irving

I expect Lavine to come back to earth and be averaging somewhere in the lower 20's by the All-Star break and the Bulls to be amongst the bottom 10 teams in the league, maybe bottom 3 in the East.  He'll be the kind of guy that's in the conversation, but on the outside looking in, like Devin Booker last year (and maybe even again this year).

After the playoffs last year, I'm definitely impressed with how Whiteside started the season.  I feel like there's only room for him or Drummond on the All-Star team.  I expect the Pistons to be around .500 and not to get 2 All-Stars, so if Whiteside keeps this up and Blake is healthy, maybe Drummond gets left out while Whiteside is in.

Wall/Beal have had good numbers, just the chemistry is terrible.  I'd expect Washington to right the ship though and be a playoff team by the All-Star break, one or both will make it.

Irving was #1 in the fan vote for East guards by a huge margin last year.  With the Uncle Drew movie being a success, I don't expect that to change. I'll bet he'll be #1 in the fan vote again, and expect him to get enough media/player votes to start again this year.

Tatum might have the best shot of being the C's 2nd All-Star.  It would be poetic justice if Tatum and Mitchell both make the All-Star team this year while Simmons is left out.

I think Zach LaVine can keep it up. Chicago are giving him the run of things up there. Letting him do whatever he wants and as much of it as he wants. He has the scoring versatility (long range shooting, pull up jumpers from midrange and long twos, driving ability in isolation and off PnR, interior finishing) and athleticism (elite) to create a high number of scoring opportunities for himself.

I expect him to continue to be prolific and be in that 25-28ppg range.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 04:03:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Any early thoughts?

Drummond
Blake
Giannis
Leonard
Oladipo
Kemba
Embid
Lowry

Wall
Beal
Simmons
Irving

I think Zach LaVine can keep it up. Chicago are giving him the run of things up there. Letting him do whatever he wants and as much of it as he wants. He has the scoring versatility (long range shooting, pull up jumpers from midrange and long twos, driving ability in isolation and off PnR, interior finishing) and athleticism (elite) to create a high number of scoring opportunities for himself.

Even when Markkanen comes back?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 04:14:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Any early thoughts?

Drummond
Blake
Giannis
Leonard
Oladipo
Kemba
Embid
Lowry

Wall
Beal
Simmons
Irving

Even when Markkanen comes back?

Yeah. Those two should dove-tail together beautifully. Give each other more opportunities to score rather than less.

Markkanen will eat up Bobby Portis' shots (10 FGAs). Take some from Jabari Parker too (reduced minutes and shots for Jabari). I expect those two are going to be the big losers from Markkanen's return. Not LaVine.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Too early. This is all going to shift around.

I think Khris Middleton gets in this year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008