Author Topic: "NBA commissioner Adam Silver’s 2014" raise the the age of rookies (from SI)  (Read 9615 times)

Offline chlldaddy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
WD they can only play NBA basketball IF an organization decides they want to give them a job. If an organization wants to give them a job they should be able to accept it if they want to.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
WD they can only play NBA basketball IF an organization decides they want to give them a job. If an organization wants to give them a job they should be able to accept it if they want to.

And if they are allowed, NBA teams will have to take the gamble that they work out based on them playing in high school.

How does that help the NBA?  How does that help the teams?  How does that help the fans?

I don't care if the NBA dreaming players have to wait two or more season to get there as long as they are better trained when they get there.   Where there is actual pressure on them to improve their craft.  Where over hyped 18 year old drop from a top 5 pick to the 2nd round because teams get to actually scout them for a long period of time against a higher level talent. 

I just don't see the downside for the fans. 

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

And if they are allowed, NBA teams will have to take the gamble that they work out based on them playing in high school.

How does that help the NBA?  How does that help the teams?  How does that help the fans?

I don't care if the NBA dreaming players have to wait two or more season to get there as long as they are better trained when they get there.   Where there is actual pressure on them to improve their craft.  Where over hyped 18 year old drop from a top 5 pick to the 2nd round because teams get to actually scout them for a long period of time against a higher level talent. 

Well instead of looking at the downside for the fans, look at the downside for the players.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I wouldn't mind a rule that said teams can draft guys before they are, let's say, 20, but they can't play in the NBA until they are that old.

That way, teams can stash the guy overseas or play them in the D-League.

I don't mind young players getting paid and actually learning the pro game rather than doing their time of indentured servitude in the NCAA.  But the game would be better at all levels if the guys who come into the league have matured (in a number of ways) a bit before getting there.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Well instead of looking at the downside for the fans, look at the downside for the players.

Same number of jobs.

Same salary cap.

Less wasted roster spaces on overhyped, under scouted players.

For the NBA level talent, there really isn't a drawback. 

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I wouldn't mind a rule that said teams can draft guys before they are, let's say, 20, but they can't play in the NBA until they are that old.

I don't mind young players getting paid and actually learning the pro game rather than doing their time of indentured servitude in the NCAA.  But the game would be better at all levels if the guys who come into the league have matured (in a number of ways) a bit before getting there.

I would love a real d-league as well, but the NBA has no reason to spend the money to make it happen.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I would love a real d-league as well, but the NBA has no reason to spend the money to make it happen.

they have Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.d out the game so much , they should have no trouble using some of that money to make the game better by making a legit D-league team.

I mean they are making these special jersey's for the all-star game, and nickname jersey's for the Miami JO's, soon will have advertisements on the jersey's . 

It really was sickening watching all-star weekend. Everything is a commercial , or gimmick to make the NBA more money.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Weak.

Don't have time to elaborate, but you should check these articles* out, then look at how much of a miserable institution the NCAA is, how much of a crapshoot playing overseas can be, how an injury can totally derail a promising NBA career, especially when a player doesn't have access to world-class rehabilitation facilities since they're not in the NBA, and then realize that the whole idea of making guys ineligible to play in the NBA is to line the owner's pockets even more while putting the players at a distinct disadvantage for some silly, nebulous idea that players can't learn how to improve in the NBA.

*http://regressing.deadspin.com/surprise-being-poor-makes-it-much-harder-to-get-to-the-1458222436

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/opinion/sunday/in-the-nba-zip-code-matters.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Weak.

Don't have time to elaborate, but you should check these articles* out, then look at how much of a miserable institution the NCAA is, how much of a crapshoot playing overseas can be, how an injury can totally derail a promising NBA career, especially when a player doesn't have access to world-class rehabilitation facilities since they're not in the NBA, and then realize that the whole idea of making guys ineligible to play in the NBA is to line the owner's pockets even more while putting the players at a distinct disadvantage for some silly, nebulous idea that players can't learn how to improve in the NBA.

*http://regressing.deadspin.com/surprise-being-poor-makes-it-much-harder-to-get-to-the-1458222436

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/opinion/sunday/in-the-nba-zip-code-matters.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&

Yet the top pro sport in the US will not allow players to be drafted until 3 years after they graduate from high school. 

And does that mean players should be drafted out of middle school?  I mean high schools have even less access to world class rehab.  Or maybe when they are 8?  Isn't there a national ranking system for players that old?

And again, still isn't the NBA's issue. 

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Exactly. Any NBA rookie contract can mean the world to some of these guys, and I don't like the plantation mentality of forcing them to work without pay in the college system for years.

What the commish might do is some sort of contract that eases teams playing them in the d-league for their first year or two. Then they can be paid what their market value is, but teams don't have to put them out as an NBA product before their ready.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Exactly. Any NBA rookie contract can mean the world to some of these guys, and I don't like the plantation mentality of forcing them to work without pay in the college system for years.

What the commish might do is some sort of contract that eases teams playing them in the d-league for their first year or two. Then they can be paid what their market value is, but teams don't have to put them out as an NBA product before their ready.

Then don't go to college.  Go try and earn a living overseas.  Or do something besides basketball.

I mean most other high paying careers take training.  In most cases, you pay for that training. 

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Weak.

Yet the top pro sport in the US will not allow players to be drafted until 3 years after they graduate from high school. 

And does that mean players should be drafted out of middle school?  I mean high schools have even less access to world class rehab.  Or maybe when they are 8?  Isn't there a national ranking system for players that old?

The NFL is a meat factory. I don't think they should ever be brought up when it comes to anything regarding a legitimate discussion of how athletes should be treated. Not to mention that, in all probability, the NFL is going to suffer the same fate of boxing in the next century or so (as soon as a direct link between CTE and football is established there's no way any high school will ever be able to afford the insurance).

So, while your point is adorable, it doesn't do much to address the inherent inequality of the NBA 'farm system' as it stands now. Whether that should be adjusted or not depends on how you see the issue.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Weak.

The NFL is a meat factory. I don't think they should ever be brought up when it comes to anything regarding a legitimate discussion of how athletes should be treated. Not to mention that, in all probability, the NFL is going to suffer the same fate of boxing in the next century or so (as soon as a direct link between CTE and football is established there's no way any high school will ever be able to afford the insurance).

So, while your point is adorable, it doesn't do much to address the inherent inequality of the NBA 'farm system' as it stands now. Whether that should be adjusted or not depends on how you see the issue.

1)  NFL makes to much money to go anywhere.

2)  Where is the NBA inequality?  They decide when or how old they want their players to be when they enter the league.  Until then, they are not their players and are not in charge of where they go, what they do and how they are compensated. 

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the NBA has a prerogative to say they want the players to be a certain age before they join the league, if that makes the NBA product better.

I do think that the NCAA is a corrupt institution and I'd love to see something done to give players on a pro-track (i.e. all they want to do is be professional bball players) a better option than taking on the risk of playing in the NCAA for nothing more than the cost of food and housing, a chance at a degree (that they may or may not use), and some exposure to NBA scouts to help them get drafted.

There are some guys who are better for having gone to college, and for those guys staying in school for 2-3 years at least is probably better, even if they end up in the NBA or playing overseas.  For others, time spent in college is just time they could be spending learning to play the pro game.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Instead of creating an age limit, decrease the financial incentive to come out early by making it so that entering the draft early does not make you a free agent any sooner.

Make it so that players under the age of 21 can be assigned to the D-League and and not count as a roster spot on the condition that they are ineligible for the NBA roster for the rest of the season (or can only be brought back after their team's season is over and are ineligible for the NBA playoffs).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference