Author Topic: Then it was just the 76ers  (Read 13156 times)

Re: Then it was just the 76ers
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2018, 05:13:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
GSW signing Cousins may not be meaningful at all. 

Just a note:  the above is true about every single instance of player movement.

That's probably true but with the injury Cousins suffered and the way some people are talking his signing like it's destroyed the NBA, this particular instance is worthy of singling out and mentioning.

Isn't cousins at 50% still better than Zaza/McGhee? When you are already dominating the NBA even a small I
Provement in the margins is significant

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2018, 05:15:07 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
celtics trounced this philly team in 5 games without Kyrie/Hayward.....and they will be rolling out essentially the same team next season.

I dont see them as a threat. They are a media hyped team. They probably had the worst off-season of most top teams.
The Cavs lost Lebron.  Houston lost Ariza and "at best" they are going to replace him with Melo.  They still haven't resigned Capella so that could go bad.  And yet the Sixers probably had the worst off-season of top teams????  The Sixers rolling out essentially the same 52-win team is not a negative when that team consists of a bunch of young players with considerable upside.   The reality distortion field on here is extremely strong regarding the Sixers.

this is about the playoffs. and a 52 win team that got trounced in 5 games in the playoffs actually lost difference makers while other teams got better. they missed out on the big free agents to move the needle in the east.

Right now I have them below the Celtics and Raptors
We did win in 5 games but to say we trounced them is a stretch.  3 of the 4 wins were 5 points or less including one in overtime.  The conversation hasn't been focused on the playoffs.  If it was, my argument gets even stronger because Ilyasova and Belinelli were not positive difference makers in the playoffs.  Belinelli's defense was a huge negative.   Neither shot particularly well in the playoffs. 

Right now I have us clearly at the top and then the Raptors slightly ahead of the Sixers but there are a lot of variables with the Raptors. 

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2018, 06:05:10 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

That's probably true but with the injury Cousins suffered and the way some people are talking his signing like it's destroyed the NBA, this particular instance is worthy of singling out and mentioning.

Isn't cousins at 50% still better than Zaza/McGhee? When you are already dominating the NBA even a small I

Yeah, I agree that Cousins at 50% is still a better basketball player than Zaza/McGee.

But I would qualify that by asking what Cousins' effect is on his teammates. What if his attitude has a negative effect on his teammates' play making his addition, even though he's an upgrade a center, a net downgrade for the team?

Or maybe he never gets to 50%. I've heard quite a range of possibilities with this injury.

He could be a monster this year. Or he could, as mentioned before, not wind up being a meaningful addition.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2018, 06:13:18 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

If Cousins is Cousins, it's pretty much lights out for the league.  So saying that signing him might not be meaningful is about injury or incomplete return from injury.  It's saying that if a player doesn't recover from injury, it's not a big signing.  That's always true, but it's also true that any player can get injured and waste a year or years (See Hayward, Gordon.).

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yeah, I agree that Cousins at 50% is still a better basketball player than Zaza/McGee.

But I would qualify that by asking what Cousins' effect is on his teammates. What if his attitude has a negative effect on his teammates' play making his addition, even though he's an upgrade a center, a net downgrade for the team?

Or maybe he never gets to 50%. I've heard quite a range of possibilities with this injury.

He could be a monster this year. Or he could, as mentioned before, not wind up being a meaningful addition.
GSW is already a huge favorite to repeat.  The injury is a big issue because it is an Achilles injury.   Who knows when he'll come back and what he'll look like if he does.  His attitude is another issue.  There's also his lackadaisical effort on defense.  There's also only 1 ball on the court and I'd much rather have the ball in Curry's or KD's hands. 

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2018, 06:53:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

If Cousins is Cousins, it's pretty much lights out for the league.  So saying that signing him might not be meaningful is about injury or incomplete return from injury.  It's saying that if a player doesn't recover from injury, it's not a big signing.  That's always true, but it's also true that any player can get injured and waste a year or years (See Hayward, Gordon.).

Like I said above, this is true. But given the injury Cousins suffered and his history, it's particularly relevant to his situation.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2019, 02:58:41 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
The Leonard addition to Toronto is being overrated.  He isn't going to catapult that team into another level.  He's not that significant an upgrade.

Phlly's rating is based more on projection than production.  That was not a particularly good team last year, but people are expecting major improvement from Simmons and Embiid, and are expecting Fultz to be a player.

In the end, if the Raptors keep Leonard for the season, and teams in the Eastern Conference don't make any more major moves, Toronto should be Boston's closest challenger this season, but Boston should take them out in 5 come playoff time.

I just wanted to acknowledge how wrong I was on this one.  "Missed by a mile" doesn't even begin to cover it.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2019, 03:18:29 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The Leonard addition to Toronto is being overrated.  He isn't going to catapult that team into another level.  He's not that significant an upgrade.

Phlly's rating is based more on projection than production.  That was not a particularly good team last year, but people are expecting major improvement from Simmons and Embiid, and are expecting Fultz to be a player.

In the end, if the Raptors keep Leonard for the season, and teams in the Eastern Conference don't make any more major moves, Toronto should be Boston's closest challenger this season, but Boston should take them out in 5 come playoff time.

I just wanted to acknowledge how wrong I was on this one.  "Missed by a mile" doesn't even begin to cover it.

I think many of us overrated the Celtics being absolute contenders this season after last season's showing and the return of Irving and Hayward.

Toronto definitely got better with Leonard. Philly got their Big 4. Milwaukee suddenly jumped from 7 seed to 1 seed and a monster athlete in Giannis.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)